Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 376 votes, 4.98 average. Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 10:20 PM   #6526
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 75,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by mfp4073 View Post
very very secondhand info on the dreadnought/210 incident

There were no passengers in the 210 and " They interviewed the pilot of Dreadnought and he said he heard and felt a hard thump and not knowing how bad the damage was, decided he better get on the ground. That was what the report said anyway."

doesnt explain why it seems he landed so far away though.
Ione is the Sea Fury's home airport, according to the report I read. I guess he wanted the plane back with its owners.

Quote:
FAA records indicate the Hawker is registered to Sanders Aeronautics Inc. in Ione.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:25 PM   #6527
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,312
http://www.airspacemag.com/videos/ca...-grand-canyon/

Jetting Through the Grand Canyon

They wouldn't be allowed to do it today, but back in 1959, experienced military pilots would sometimes buzz the Grand Canyon when flying out of nearby Nellis AFB. At the time, RAF pilot Ron Dick was an exchange officer with the US Air Force, training students in a Lockheed T-33. Fellow instructor Bud Pratt recalls that during these Canyon flights, the pilots would fly low enough that water would spray up from the river. Ron Dick rose to the rank of Air Vice Marshal and later became a fellow of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum and a popular writer and lecturer on military history. He died in 2008. His son Gary Dick, who put together this video from Ron's footage, says, "As a lifelong supporter of the National Parks and a man with a keen interest in bird watching, Ron would definitely endorse the flight restrictions that ensure natural quiet in the parks today." Courtesy of Gary Dick

1974 BMW R90/6 Bettie #1, 04 Triumph Bonneville
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Blank
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
Cavemen must've designed them shortly after inventing the wheel.
mfp4073 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:34 PM   #6528
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,845
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxwax View Post
Ione is the Sea Fury's home airport, according to the report I read. I guess he wanted the plane back with its owners.

He is one of the owners.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:40 PM   #6529
Bigger Al
Still a stupid tire guy

Oddometer: 7,845
Quote:
Precious Metal P-51D (XR) Mustang 2013 qualifying run

I really believe that the addition of the race motor is going to make you guys a force to be reckoned with.

Steve McQueen

Bigger Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:06 AM   #6530
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,424
Quote:
http://www.airspacemag.com/videos/ca...-grand-canyon/

Jetting Through the Grand Canyon

They wouldn't be allowed to do it today, but back in 1959, experienced military pilots would sometimes buzz the Grand Canyon when flying out of nearby Nellis AFB. At the time, RAF pilot Ron Dick was an exchange officer with the US Air Force, training students in a Lockheed T-33. Fellow instructor Bud Pratt recalls that during these Canyon flights, the pilots would fly low enough that water would spray up from the river. Ron Dick rose to the rank of Air Vice Marshal and later became a fellow of the Smithsonian's National Air and Space Museum and a popular writer and lecturer on military history. He died in 2008. His son Gary Dick, who put together this video from Ron's footage, says, "As a lifelong supporter of the National Parks and a man with a keen interest in bird watching, Ron would definitely endorse the flight restrictions that ensure natural quiet in the parks today." Courtesy of Gary Dick

In 1969, on my last flight as an USAF Nav in a C-130 (before heading to the AC-130), we returned to Nashville from Nellis up the Grand Canyon, below the rim. The plane actually executed a 360 in the canyon about where the park is located. It was quite spectacular.
Daniii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 06:45 AM   #6531
Heyload
Remastered Classic

Oddometer: 7,784
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
In 1969, on my last flight as an USAF Nav in a C-130 (before heading to the AC-130), we returned to Nashville from Nellis up the Grand Canyon, below the rim. The plane actually executed a 360 in the canyon about where the park is located. It was quite spectacular.

One of my best memories, screaming along in the back of a C-141 at around 500 feet looking out of the troop door window while inbound to the DZ. Popping up for the drop and opening the aft doors only to have an F-16 roll in behind us, its pilot pointing his finger at us like a gun to signify a "kill" and then peeling away. He was so close I could have thrown a roll of toilet paper from the lavatory down his intake and FOD'd out his engine. Red Flag fun.

When life gives you melons, you might be dyslexic.
Heyload is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 03:23 PM   #6532
VictorBravoMikeIndia
Low Altitude Flyer

Oddometer: 141
Up Close ?

VictorBravoMikeIndia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:36 AM   #6533
Damp
n00b

Oddometer: 5
http://scriptogr.am/wrogerswx/post/b...-sd-05-04-2014

This is a pretty cool attempt, if he can make it to SoDak we have enormous winds going on that can carry him further.
Damp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 09:20 PM   #6534
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigger Al View Post
I really believe that the addition of the race motor is going to make you guys a force to be reckoned with.
we certainly hope so. Last year with all the stuff that went down we were lucky just to be there, much less to be competitive.

In other sad news, we lost another friend and aircraft today. Aviation is dangerous enough. Vintage aviation and pushing the limits is an added level. To quote, "we do these things, not because they are easy, but because they are hard" and our faith in the idea that airplanes need to fly and need to be awesome means pushing those limits. Sometimes we lose friends. But never let us lose our faith and give up on this ultimate human endeavor of leaving the earth and soaring toward the heavens.

read a little more about eddie and then the news article below

http://evanflys.com/eddie_andreini

http://www.ktvu.com/news/news/local/...-killed/nfpRs/

Veteran aerobatic show pilot, Eddie Andreini killed in fiery crash

KTVU.com
HALF MOON BAY, Calif. — On Sunday 77-year-old veteran aerobatic show pilot, Eddie Andreini, died while performing at an airshow at Travis Air Force Base in Fairfield.
Andreini got his first taste of flying in high-school, at age 16. According to the Half Moon Bay Review, in 1960 Andreini met Jim Williams, a crop duster, who taught him aerobatics. Adreini told the publication, “I found out that was my niche… I liked it.”
The Half Moon Bay pilot is famous for his Stearman Superbatics show, described on his website as a “fast-paced show that will delight any audience.”
He was flying that Stearman Biplane, a WWII trainer he modified in 1963 for airshow work, when he crashed.
Eddie Andreini Airshows booked shows across the country and has flown in shows in Australia in 1999, 2001 and 2003.
In December of 2013, Andreini was inducted into the International Council of Air Shows Hall of Fame.
The Half Moon Bay Review recalled how Andreini practiced repeatedly before shows, “until I get the total feel of the plane.”
Andreini leaves behind his wife Linda, sons Eddie Jr. and Mario and grandchildren, Courtney, Emma, Nico, Dominic and Sebina.
Quote:
loner, lonegunman, get it. That’s the whole point. I like the lifestyle, the image. Look a the way I dress.
Quote:
Old 05-05-2014, 09:05 PM   #6535
eddyturn
Wannabe

Oddometer: 1,773
Not sure if it's 205 but it sure is a great video of F-15 action.

F-15 from the cockpit
Old 05-08-2014, 09:53 PM   #6536
mfp4073
Beastly Adventurer

http://allthingsaero.com/military-av...aign=TR+A10+FB

The A-10 Survives Congressional Cuts

The A-10 Survives Congressional Cuts
by Tyson Rininger May 8, 2014 11:08am GMT1899 views
On May 8th, the House Armed Services Committee (HASC) unanimously approved a measure that would authorize just over $600 billion in 2015 US defense spending and block plans to retire the A-10 Warthog.

Slated for Type-1000 storage, meaning the airframes would be temporarily retired to Davis-Montham AFB and preserved with special wrapping for later potential use, the A-10 would be saved in the last hours of the 13-hour budget session.

The amendment was offered by Arizona Democrat Rep. Ron Barber and cosponsored by Reps. Vicky Hartzler, R-Mo., and Austin Scott, R-Ga. Initially, the amendment failed via voice vote — though it sounded like there were more supporters. The measure later passed 41-20 in a roll-call vote.

First introducing the compromise of storing (not retiring) the A-10, Chairman Rep. Buck McKeon, R-Calif., in his own statement called the measure “the gold standard for congressional bipartisanship and transparency.” During the markup, McKeon and other Republicans stressed the need to, as the bill does, protect weapon systems — as well as block proposed cuts to troop levels, in case Congress finds a way to get rid of sequestration and defense spending caps.

Instead, the bipartisan amendment prohibits such a move, or a retirement, until the US comptroller general makes a number of certifications and completes several studies, including a report to evaluate all Air Force platforms that are used for close-air-support (CAS) missions.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-09-2014, 02:53 AM   #6537
Megamoto
Yes, I do look like this.

Oddometer: 2,854

I'm so happy I could whistle through my willie. (Dan Walsh)

Per Ardua ad Astra
Megamoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 07:18 AM   #6538
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,619
http://www.thecoolist.com/etihad-air...ng-passengers/

DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:14 PM   #6539
Daniii
geezer

Oddometer: 23,424
That image could be in the WTF thread as well....
Daniii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 01:22 PM   #6540
DakarNick
Swabee

Oddometer: 6,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniii View Post
That image could be in the WTF thread as well....
Very true.
DakarNick is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: