User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-25-2014, 02:31 PM   #1
cb919er OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
my st919 project

I've decided to turn the ol' 919 into more of a sport tourer than a sportbike.
Step one... I changed the gearing (+1 in the front, -1 in the back) to lower the RPM per forward speed. (improved my fuel mileage and made my speedometer more accurate)
I couldn't be happier, on my last backroad day trip. I was averaging around 51mpg...
Step two... Power for my GPS, I found this little plug that attached to my battery tender that gave me a little "Cigarette style" plug under my seat letting me power my GPS, which I have mounted to my handlebars with a ram mount...

Step three... luggage, i started out with just the rack from Givi and a topcase from JC Whitney. The tacky orange plastic around the back was quickly removed and painted black... Some people say topcases are ugly. And well, they are, but there's no denying they are extremely useful for everyday use...

I got with a local shop called Dualsport Touring, and they hooked me up with the side racks and cases from Givi to go with the topcase rack...

the last few items to complete will be a Center stand, and a new seat...
I think this really goes to show the versatility of the honda 919/Hornet platform. Track days or long distance touring... She a lady in the street but a freak in the bed!!!
and they don't help with touring, but I mounted Yamaha Turnsignals to the bike... Love the look, I think they work with the shape of the tank.

I'd rather ride my motorcycle and thinking about God, than sit in church and think about my motorcycle.
cb919er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:04 PM   #2
bogey78
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 576
Outstanding. I really like the look of the sidebags.
IBA#33560
bogey78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:51 PM   #3
Jimmy the Heater
Tilting the Horizon

Oddometer: 1,857
I didn't think I'd like the 919 with luggage on it but dang, that really works. Keep this thread updated, really interested to see how it turns out.
Jimmy the Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 12:56 AM   #4
Akronorka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Been debating this get up for mine...it really is the most versatile bike I've owned. Right now I'm just using a HUGE tank bag. Love the ride naked sticker on the swing arm, and lack of goofy windscreen! Have you tried riding two up with the side cases yet?
Akronorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 01:18 AM   #5
Akronorka
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Also is that the medium or large jc Whitney?
Akronorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2014, 02:15 PM   #6
cb919er OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronorka View Post
Been debating this get up for mine...it really is the most versatile bike I've owned. Right now I'm just using a HUGE tank bag. Love the ride naked sticker on the swing arm, and lack of goofy windscreen! Have you tried riding two up with the side cases yet?
I had a small fly screen, but hated it. It was only good for tucking behind in the winter. I have since removed it, and it hasn't been on the bike in years...

I've carried people 2 up, it's not goldwing comfy, I carried a passenger on an all day mountain ride, and as long as we stopped every hour or so she was fine. Does kinda put them in a upright seating. The pad isn't very cushiony, I'll probably make a better one soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akronorka View Post
Also is that the medium or large jc Whitney?
That is the large.

I'd rather ride my motorcycle and thinking about God, than sit in church and think about my motorcycle.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:01 PM   #7
KEN PHENIX
"CERTIFIABLE"

Oddometer: 631
Yeah brother! I'm feelin' it. For some reason I love this idea.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=758092

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=948518
IBA #47092
The 919 Transalp Project
KatanaBandit (sold)
smugmug pics

KEN PHENIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:12 AM   #8
cb919er OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN PHENIX View Post
Thats awesome!

Old 05-09-2014, 02:45 AM   #9
slowpoke69
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 497
Nice bike!!

Good job so far, check out the 'seat concepts' thread, from what I've read they're an affordable path to a comfy seat, not ugly, but comfy.

Givi may have a screen you can use, mine is a 720 or 770 from them. I don't have pix on of it yet, but the guy I bought it from did. It's an 06 Breva 1100, his screen name is rdbandkab, was for sale on here back in Jan/Feb of this year.
It's kind of a cross between a small batwing and sportbike fairing. Looks sharp on mine.

I never had a bike with bags before this, I don't think I'll ever have one without now, SO convenient. Good luck finishing her up! Stay safe.

06 Moto Guzzi Breva 1100
slowpoke69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2014, 12:36 AM   #10
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,090
I've got the SWMotec with Givi monokey bags on my 919,
I also added a throttle lock and I run a fly screen.

But I can fathom 50mpg, I'm lucky to get high 30s on my mostly freeway commute or open road touring.

For speeds up to about 75mph the 919 is perfect for curvey road touring. Well, with an airhawk seat cover or a new seat.

squish screwed with this post 05-15-2014 at 02:17 PM
squish is offline   Reply With Quote