Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #121
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Oddometer: 15,682
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unleaded View Post
Congrats, Paul. It's such a brilliant bike. I'm selfishly pleased that the public found so much to hate about it. (Slightly) secondhand, it has to be one of the most fantastic values in motorcycling. I did around 11K miles last year before mothballing it for winter. Couldn't be happier with it.

It will some day be recognized as another of Honda's great bikes, unloved at it's introduction but gaining respect and a good following over time.

All the press has been very good, but the buying public latches on to perceived deficits and kills it in the marketplace.
IBA #11735 . 1968-present
Blakebird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2014, 05:25 PM   #122
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakebird View Post

It will some day be recognized as another of Honda's great bikes, unloved at it's introduction but gaining respect and a good following over time.

All the press has been very good, but the buying public latches on to perceived deficits and kills it in the marketplace.

Couldn't agree more.
Old 05-08-2014, 01:42 PM   #123
Rider14
Rider14

Oddometer: 168
As a happy owner of an '06 Sprint ST ABS, with nice mods to make it mine, I am suffering new-bikeitis. I fell in love with the K1300S my buddy owns, but ndcan't justify spending that kind of scratch on a replacement when I'm so satisfied by my Sprint. I also have an '03 Tuono for track and short ride street duties.

I was thinking of picking up a ZX-14 as a poor man's K1300S, but am now again intrigued with the VFR1200.

The OP has deepened that intrigue, and I'll be looking for one locally to ride. Maybe I really will sell my Sprint. Sounds like (other than the slightly bigger tank of the '12 VFR) the other improvements can easily be addressed on a lightly used '10.

THanks for the great write up, and the comparison to the K1300S has been very helpful given our shared love for the K bike.

Please continue to keep us posted.

Blakebird - how would you compare the VFR1200 with the Ninja 1K? Equal weather protection? Touring ability? Handling? Would love to hear your thoughts...

Thanks,

- Dan
Old 05-08-2014, 10:18 PM   #124
PishPosh
n000000b

Oddometer: 356
I'm not sure why the styling of this bike doesn't get more love. I think it's absolutely beautiful.

Maybe it's ahead of it's time? It's the only explanation I got for the disinterest.
Old 05-08-2014, 11:02 PM   #125
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider14 View Post
Blakebird - how would you compare the VFR1200 with the Ninja 1K? Equal weather protection? Touring ability? Handling? Would love to hear your thoughts...
Both have a 5 gallon tank, a little over 200 mph range on the road.

They're different bikes, but both were fun to sporttour on...the Ninja 1000 being a little lighter on it's feet. The VFR is a better handling bike and probably the one I liked better of the two - but not to take anything away from the Kawasaki, it's a nice piece of work.

Different in lots of ways obvious to the eye, but both do the same things well - down to personal preference really.

Also put a lot of miles on a ZX-14 a few years ago, and I'd probably say the big VFR is more comparable to the bigger Kawasaki in what it feels like - big, fast...
btw, I'd take a ZX-14 over a K1300S...not that I don't like the BMW, but after putting 27,000 miles on the ZX-14 I came away very impressed by it's build quality and motor.
It doesn't give up anything to the more expensive K bike...
Old 05-09-2014, 03:42 AM   #126
Paulvt1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,537
Thanks for the pointer regarding the peg lowering kit. Fitted some Helibars which have made the bike much more easy to use.
Paulvt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 07:51 PM   #127
breeno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Late to the party here, but just stumbled on this post and must say it's an excellent review. Pretty much mirrors my feelings on the 7th gen VFR.

I turned my nose up at for the first couple of years and the high MSRP sealed the not-gonna-buy decision. After some time passed, I kept returning to it as I was shopping for a replacement for my aging '03 VFR 800.

I picked up an extremely clean low mileage 2010 for 7800$ 6 months ago and after my first long trip found myself really fond of the bike. It is not a "first impression lust" sort of bike, at least for me. The engine, however, is a real gem (once the 1/2 gear and flapper valve fixes are in place) and I prefer the character of the V4 -- even the 360 crank versions -- over the effective by mildly boring inline 4s.

My real world range is around 180-190 miles when slabbing it (I get 41 mpg regularly in that mode) which isn't great, but doable. The OEM bags, a Givi 47 trunk and 15L tank lock bag make this a decent sports tourer.

For me she's like that quiet understated brunette I sat next to in high school -- not quite as sexy as the blond cheerleader, but she "get's me".

...and she's a bit more of a "giver" in bed...
breeno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 07:45 AM   #128
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 11,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by PishPosh View Post
I'm not sure why the styling of this bike doesn't get more love. I think it's absolutely beautiful.

Maybe it's ahead of it's time? It's the only explanation I got for the disinterest.

I think it's mostly the stock exhaust and tail.

I agree with you the styling is very nice -- once those two eyesores are addressed.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 08:46 AM   #129
Colorado_Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 1,193
Quote:
Originally Posted by breeno View Post
Late to the party here, but just stumbled on this post and must say it's an excellent review. Pretty much mirrors my feelings on the 7th gen VFR.

I turned my nose up at for the first couple of years and the high MSRP sealed the not-gonna-buy decision. After some time passed, I kept returning to it as I was shopping for a replacement for my aging '03 VFR 800.

I picked up an extremely clean low mileage 2010 for 7800$ 6 months ago and after my first long trip found myself really fond of the bike. It is not a "first impression lust" sort of bike, at least for me. The engine, however, is a real gem (once the 1/2 gear and flapper valve fixes are in place) and I prefer the character of the V4 -- even the 360 crank versions -- over the effective by mildly boring inline 4s.

My real world range is around 180-190 miles when slabbing it (I get 41 mpg regularly in that mode) which isn't great, but doable. The OEM bags, a Givi 47 trunk and 15L tank lock bag make this a decent sports tourer.

For me she's like that quiet understated brunette I sat next to in high school -- not quite as sexy as the blond cheerleader, but she "get's me".

...and she's a bit more of a "giver" in bed...
I took shots at the bike every chance I got, but I do think I'll own a black one some day. Unless they update it, then I'll get that one but damned if I'll pay even close to what they are asking.
Colorado_Rider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 10:01 AM   #130
Kyle M
n00b

Oddometer: 3
If you can move fast I have a clean 2010 for 7K, deal would have to be done by June 4th cause the local bike shop is taking it on Saturday.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...4#post24292654
Kyle M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2014, 11:36 AM   #131
Rinty
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 543
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider14 View Post
Maybe I really will sell my Sprint.
That's a tough act to follow.
Rinty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #132
Motard_Menace
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 307
I was fortunate enough to ride both versions of the VFR1200 in Santa Barbara on their press launch weekend. Honda flew a handful of us from around the country to SB for a 2 day event to ride and evaluate the bike. They selected us from various moto forums and we were a group of enthusiasts and not paid professionals. It was a cool event with tech briefing and ample time to speak with North American Honda Reps about the bike. Anyway I loved the bike after the test ride and was amazed at the DTC version even though I prefer the manual but my chief concern which I voiced with NA Honda's brass on hand was the price point and others at the event had the same point. It appears this concern was valid as sales have shown. Honda at times can build a great product but they forget who they are building it for I think. On a side note Honda apparently is a great company to work for as the youngest guy at the event whom was a test pilot and 26 years old had been with the company for 6 years already. Most had 15+ and one engineer on hand had 33 years with Honda. Awesome when a company takes care of its employees, especially when they get as big as Honda.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.......MM

"If you Can't Fix it with a Hammer, it must be an Electrical Problem......"
Motard_Menace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 06:29 AM   #133
Rider
Moderator Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motard_Menace View Post
I was fortunate enough to ride both versions of the VFR1200 in Santa Barbara on their press launch weekend. Honda flew a handful of us from around the country to SB for a 2 day event to ride and evaluate the bike. They selected us from various moto forums and we were a group of enthusiasts and not paid professionals. It was a cool event with tech briefing and ample time to speak with North American Honda Reps about the bike. Anyway I loved the bike after the test ride and was amazed at the DTC version even though I prefer the manual but my chief concern which I voiced with NA Honda's brass on hand was the price point and others at the event had the same point. It appears this concern was valid as sales have shown. Honda at times can build a great product but they forget who they are building it for I think. On a side note Honda apparently is a great company to work for as the youngest guy at the event whom was a test pilot and 26 years old had been with the company for 6 years already. Most had 15+ and one engineer on hand had 33 years with Honda. Awesome when a company takes care of its employees, especially when they get as big as Honda.

That is a really, really cool story.
Old 06-03-2014, 06:51 AM   #134
Blakebird
r-u-n-n-o-f-t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider View Post
That is a really, really cool story.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:12 PM   #135
Unleaded OP
Unit Train

Oddometer: 807
Just returned this evening from a quick 4 1/2 day, 2800 mile blast through Colorado and northern New Mexico. 18000 miles now, and the bike has been flawless so far.

Riding Kansas twice in a week brings on a desire for a few more amenities and perhaps a bit more protection (though the storm-stirred wind near Salina this morning wouldn't have been slowed by a plate steel bunker...as terrified as I've ever been on a bike), but that's a compromise I'm willing to make. It really is a near-perfect blend of long-haul capability, character (yes, for real), and handling for my riding journeys at present. I see an FJR or the like in my future, but not for a couple more years.

Incidentally, I saw the the only other VFR1200 I've ever passed on the road today, just outside of St Louis.

Still loving this thing.