Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-08-2014, 12:53 PM   #691
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Last week, on the banks of Loch Lubnaig.

fraser2312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 12:58 PM   #692
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venteuri View Post
WOW!

Which wheels Are those?
They look like 17'' Alpina's
Old 05-08-2014, 08:32 PM   #693
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Oddometer: 14,920
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser2312 View Post
They look like 17'' Alpina's
Thanks. I went into their web page and they do look alike
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Venteuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 06:39 AM   #694
Roadscum
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,961
Quote:
Originally Posted by fraser2312 View Post
Last week, on the banks of Loch Lubnaig.

Very nice! something about that just makes me drool..

What handlebars are those?

Paul
Old 05-09-2014, 06:54 AM   #695
fraser2312
Gnarly Adventurer

Bonneville Pics

Thanks Paul. The bars are Superbars but I can't remember if they are from New Bonneville or Bella Corse. I've got a pair of Alpina wheels on the way also, can't wait to see them on the bike :)
Old 05-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #696
CharlesLathe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
I laced up a set of Alpina wheels for my Bonneville T100 last summer and I like them.
CharlesLathe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 03:22 PM   #697
plodalong
Now if we just.....

Oddometer: 614
Went for a short tour of the Aussie Snowy Mountains, Bike ran like a champ.

But now I realise I just don't give a shit.
plodalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2014, 07:59 PM   #698
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

If I get a T100 ... How much money (budget) should I consider to spend in order to have a great bike?

Suspension, seats, etc etc.
Member #68,893
Above all stop pandering to posts from morons like Venteuri who can't even spell Venturi properly.
Old 05-15-2014, 10:07 PM   #699
ratlab
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
i am approaching a new norton price tag amount of money into my thruxton with no cosmetic stuff done.brakes,suspension,exhaust, motor and fueling and it's getting there,but nowhere near great yet.you can throw lots of money at the modern classics,but don't expect to much performance.i have learned the hard way that's not what they are about.if i had to do it again i would put hagon 2810's on the rear-emulators and springs on the front and call it a day.
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #700
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
i am approaching a new norton price tag amount of money into my thruxton with no cosmetic stuff done.brakes,suspension,exhaust, motor and fueling and it's getting there,but nowhere near great yet.you can throw lots of money at the modern classics,but don't expect to much performance.i have learned the hard way that's not what they are about.if i had to do it again i would put hagon 2810's on the rear-emulators and springs on the front and call it a day.
I think that about sums it up nicely.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:16 PM   #701
LWRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 298
Quote:
If I get a T100 ... How much money (budget) should I consider to spend in order to have a great bike?

That all depends on what you want to do with it. If you want rugged 80% off road capability, then a lot will have to be done. For mostly road work, the bike is pretty good as-is IMO. (This is coming from a guy who has a '68 CB350 for comparison, though.)

I changed the saddle (a must do) to K&Q which I don't see online now, but as I recall was roughly $250, Corbins were a bit higher. Another thing that is important is adding auxiliary lighting as the headlight I have found to be poor. I added a couple Model 30 LED spots from ADVMonster, IIRC for $120. I highly recommend them. Another thing for touring I would not neglect is putting on a windscreen. (I once rode from Florida to Michigan without mine on my CB350 during a cold April, as I had dropped the bike while loading up and broke the screen just before leaving, and I had a new screen waiting for me in Michigan for the return trip.) Mine is a removable National Cycle Deflector DX which is about $145.

It is nice to have a rear rack and the Triumph one is not bad at $200. A center stand is nice and will run $239 or a bit less for aftermarket. I added engine bars and there are some choices on those depending on your exhaust, but say $139 to $250. Add a tail bag (about $100), tank bag ($80-100), and some throw over saddlebags (I like Cortech Sportbags with Top bag system for another couple hundred $) and you are good to go. I've ridden mine over 25,000 miles in the last couple years like this. A bunch of that stuff, though like the bags you would be adding to any bike you bought.

That said, I have heard new suspension really helps the bike, so you can add a lot of dough for that. I ride mostly tarmac, about 90%, so I don't see the need, but if I go to Alaska next year as planned I might think about new shocks.

I know lots will disagree on the stock bike, but I have many mile son mine, and just published a book by a gal who did solo cross USA on a stock bike, and also, Dogtired (see Zen thread in RRs) rode stock except for a trailer hitch and last time in the thread he was up past 10,000 miles.

Cheers,

Mike
My Blog: http://www.roaddogpub.com/node/3
LWRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 02:40 PM   #702
Gham
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by ratlab View Post
What a welcome addition you are

Society Historicus Revisioniscus
Gham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:01 PM   #703
ratlab
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
that's not the reaction i usually get, but thank you.
ratlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 06:30 AM   #704
rider33
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Quote:

The new Bonnie's have been made for over a dozen years now so aftermarket options are extensive, As suggested, performance mods can get expensive (engine) and not really yield that massive of a difference. If you are really looking for boy-racer type performance, you might want to look elsewhere because that's not really what these bikes are about (see speed tripple). The things that are really a good spend IMHO would be a new seat (anything but the OEM) and suspension upgrades (shocks, springs). How much that costs depends on what you do. A high-end seat might set you back north of $500 or the auto upholstery shop down the street might be able to modify the stocker for $100. Bleeding edge Ohlin's might set you back a grand tho TEC also sells a set of shocks for $100 that are a massive improvement over the stockers (a remarkably low bar to clear) as well. I'd budget $500-1,000 but keep in mind part of the fun of these bikes are all the little bits you can add to make it your own.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:49 AM   #705
Venteuri
I don't give a shit

Thank you guys, I appreciate your answers.
Member #68,893