Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2014, 07:37 AM   #256
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,223
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidM1 View Post
I think you've got it a nutshell there, wizz. And I totally agree with you about weight issues.

Sometime this year I'll be seeing what the Hyperstrada is like on "fire roads" and such. The move from a 21" to a 17" front wheel is my main concern.
Definately keep us updated.
wizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 02:27 PM   #257
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Oddometer: 4,293
Wow really!

Solid 4 months and no movement on this threadÖ.

Well its time to replace the tires on the bike and I'm leaning toward the Metzeler Tourance Next

"Shorter of breath and one day closer to death"
jerdog53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:22 PM   #258
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Care to update us on your thoughts about the bike? Any issues? Performance off the pavement and such?
Old 05-09-2014, 09:04 AM   #259
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
Care to update us on your thoughts about the bike? Any issues? Performance off the pavement and such?

Sorry for the long winded post but it's pretty slow here at work.

I have currently just over 4900 miles on this bike I purchased new in May last year and have had no issues what so ever. The bike has been serviced twice by the local big box dealer once for the 600 mile and once for a software update. Others talk elsewhere about electrical gremlins and suspension issues and I have seen none. My forks work as advertised and as near as I can tell are flawless. Brakes are strong maybe a little too strong for me and my needs but you get used to one fingering it. The bike is light nimble and very flickable and really feels like a big dirt bike which is what I was looking for in it and realistically its not all that big. I am 5'8" and 160# with a 32" inseam the bike fits me perfect. Fueling is spot on even at low RPMs and have seen nothing that would I would consider remotely as a hick-up, this is not an issue on this bike. Fuel economy I am averaging 55 mpg of mixed riding mostly in town with maybe 20% highway a tank. Best tank was all 45-55 mph in the twisties at altitude and pulled 63mpg two up. Which means on extended trips that 200 miles a tank should be do able. I have see low 40 mpg riding like a hooligan which is easy to do on this bike. I love the bike and I am more comfortable on it than any others I have ridden to include the KTM 950s BMW GS 800s and 1100s and 650 Wees

As far as off road is concerned I have several hundred miles on gravel roads and "jeep" trails not single tracks and the bike handles it just fine all things considered. It does have the 17" front and I wish for a 19 and a few more inches of travel up front which in turn would give a little more ground clearance but it is what it is a Ducati Hyperstrada. Definitely need Rox Risers for extended standing at least for me, 1.5" to 2" would be perfect. I do ride the bike frequently standing especially in parking lot so to see what other cars are moving and for the practice. Slow speed maneuverability is quite east even when standing although I suspect lower gearing will be needed on more rough rocky terrain when you are wanting to pick your way. I have installed a 14 tooth front sprocket which has helped, down from 15 but I still may add a few teeth to the rear. The traction control helps tremendously especially with the Scorpion Trail stock tires on anything other than hard pack dirt or slick rock, you just pin it and go in that direction.

I plan on doing the CBDR later on this summer so I will need to add some farkles to it, bash plate, foot pegs, real hand guards, radiator guard, bar risers, some TCK80s to name a few, prolly lower the gearing.

Old 05-10-2014, 04:09 AM   #260
wncstrada
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Really appreciate your comments and updates Jerdog53! I've got a 796 Hyper that I really enjoy but I'd love to update to the Hyperstrada. Really looking forward to your comments about your upcoming trip and how the bike performs. Please post some pictures of the bike fitted out for the trip!
wncstrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:12 AM   #261
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 193
Great write-up, thanks for sharing.
98940 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 07:42 AM   #262
wizz
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks jerdog. I need to see one in person, might be a little too cramped for my 6'2 frame. Have you inquired with woody's wheels about a front wheel? Or spokes for front and back?
Old 05-10-2014, 01:43 PM   #263
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
it is not cramped at all! I was surprised myself (have no experience with this supermotard kinda ride). I'm 6'4" myself and I don't think I have been on another bike with such seat to peg distance as this one. (except maybe my own 990 adventure with high seat) It has a good leg angle compared to many other bikes, especially at my size.

The most important for me is the way my thigh goes. It has to have a downward angle (at least a bit) otherwise on long trips it aches where my leg joins my torso.

The hyperstrada is short front to back though. I'm so tall on it that I doubt that the windshield does anything else than blow wind directly on my chest. It feels well 'below' compared to shields on other longer bikes more upfront.

But I am definitely intrigued!! Great machine, great value, not heavy!
Old 05-10-2014, 08:18 PM   #264
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

I'm glad to see someone else with a 990 with positive things to say about the Hyperstrada!

Old 05-11-2014, 05:51 AM   #265
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizz View Post
Thanks jerdog. I need to see one in person, might be a little too cramped for my 6'2 frame. Have you inquired with woody's wheels about a front wheel? Or spokes for front and back?

Wizz I really don't think you will feel cramped my buddy is 6' and he is comfortable on it. The SP motards are taller if need be and all the Strada bits will bolt on.

I have spoken to Woody's and wheels are do able yet everything comes at a price. I have thought about going to a 19" in front but keeping the 17" rear just make it a 150 rather than a 180 for more options. I have also thought about swapping the forks out with some KYB 48mm longer stroke frickers which would optimize the 19" front but who knows at this point. I'm going to ride the heck out of it this summer with my buddy who has the 650 Wee and go from there.

Old 05-13-2014, 06:01 AM   #266
DeedsyDragon OP
Moto Dragon

Oddometer: 102
Any word on hard panniers for this bike? That's the only thing making me shy away from it.
Old 05-13-2014, 06:10 AM   #267
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Ducati Bellevue up Seattle way is selling a Givi Trekker bolt on kit they are currently the only ones. Anything built for the Multi12 tail / trunk will bolt onto the Strada as well.

Old 05-13-2014, 04:41 PM   #268
COboy
b00b

Oddometer: 83
I am sending my suspension to race tech and asking them to set it up as a dual sport. I will circle back to you guys when I put it back on the bike. I am also interested in going to 19" on the front. As for the rear being a 180 (5.5 inch rim) we could do a tkc80 but thats too dirt oriented for me. I am planning on doing part of the UTBDR this year with the karoo 3 in a 170 size. Is that a bad idea?? Jerdog when it warms up lets go riding!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902450
COboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2014, 05:35 AM   #269
jerdog53
Crop Dusting Everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by COboy View Post
I am sending my suspension to race tech and asking them to set it up as a dual sport. I will circle back to you guys when I put it back on the bike. I am also interested in going to 19" on the front. As for the rear being a 180 (5.5 inch rim) we could do a tkc80 but thats too dirt oriented for me. I am planning on doing part of the UTBDR this year with the karoo 3 in a 170 size. Is that a bad idea?? Jerdog when it warms up lets go riding!

Simon!! Where the heck you been??

One of the guys over on the Hyperstrada forum had Race Tech rework his fork and he is quite satisfied but then he is strictly street rider.

I am interested in seeing what they come up with.

I have talked to two different dealers about the 170s on the rear and none thought it would be an issue, what will you run on the front? I'm pretty much set on the TCK80s as we really have no other options.

Old 05-14-2014, 05:37 AM   #270
COboy
b00b

Oddometer: 83
Lol... 3 kids.... wife. ... skiing...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 4
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=902450
COboy is offline   Reply With Quote