Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-01-2014, 08:49 AM   #4066
r1oors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Here's the latest on my 883R. I changed the bars for some OE "L" bars off eBay. No risers. They're a little shorter than the stock R bars and lean me a bit more forward. Still a "standard" riding position, but more comfortable than the wide stock bars.
A different seat, a different slip-on for the 2 into 1 and maybe a 1200 kit down the road. Otherwise, I love the bike as a mid-size roadster and a good alternative to the R100RS.
r1oors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 09:20 AM   #4067
rodteague
Enjoying the ride

Oddometer: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by r1oors View Post
Here's the latest on my 883R. I changed the bars for some OE "L" bars off eBay. No risers. They're a little shorter than the stock R bars and lean me a bit more forward. Still a "standard" riding position, but more comfortable than the wide stock bars.
A different seat, a different slip-on for the 2 into 1 and maybe a 1200 kit down the road. Otherwise, I love the bike as a mid-size roadster and a good alternative to the R100RS.
Love the Roadsters; nice bike.

Rod

http://libertytreeblogs.blogspot.com

My Multi Purpose Sportster (MPS)
rodteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:17 PM   #4068
jeveretts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
Laugh

Not mine, but one of the guys from my Sunday ride. If your eyes are sharp, you might notice some triumph bits.

jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 05:22 PM   #4069
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,824
Holy crap, that's beautiful.
Old 05-02-2014, 03:19 AM   #4070
toomuchstuff
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Quote:
Great Bike

Here is mine. It received a new seat and shocks from a sportster sport since this photo

Old 05-02-2014, 09:21 AM   #4071
sjc56
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,371
Best looking Sportster they made.
Old 05-02-2014, 10:12 AM   #4072
r1oors
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
Yep. I was *this* close to buying an Anniversary 883C, but something warned me off of it. The R caught my eye, for less money and less miles than the C, and I'm glad I got it instead. I'm not really a cruiser type.
I'm an old Brit bike guy (I'd rather have got a BSA twin but impractical at this time), so I hope to give the R a bit of a Brit, clubman-roadster feel. Not quite cafe but something for a bit of casual backroad burning.
r1oors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 11:55 AM   #4073
Sidecar Jockey
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 610
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeveretts View Post
Not mine, but one of the guys from my Sunday ride. If your eyes are sharp, you might notice some triumph bits.

NOT a Sportster... its a 45'' Flathead.

That looks like a Triumph 4 speed gearbox. I have a Triumph 4 speed in my Flathead. It was a common upgrade back in the day since it was much cheaper than the Harley 4 speed tranny. The hardest part of the swap is moving the final drive chain and related parts to the left side. The Triumph 4 speed trannys had left side drive, but the OEM HD 3 speed was a right side drive...
Sidecar Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #4074
RebelYell
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
sporty

I agree the 883 R is the best looking sporty to boot.How much is that supertrap exhaust?Can you bolt the twin disc on a regular 883 or do I need to change the forks and the whole Shebang?
RebelYell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:32 PM   #4075
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
It depends on the wheel. Some hubs are set up to accept the right side disc and some aren't. Other than that all you would need to mount up the system is the right side fork lower since it has the caliper lugs. Then of course there's the brake lines. And then I'm not sure about the master cylinder. Will the stock non-Roadster M/C push enough fluid to actuate two calipers?

I've seen bikes converted to the dual disc setup but can't remember the details...
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #4076
s&s
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebelYell View Post
Can you bolt the twin disc on a regular 883 or do I need to change the forks and the whole Shebang?
I did the conversion to my '97, it was quite simple:
-got the hub drilled and tapped (stock hub for spoked wheel is not dual-disk ready, I think most cast wheel hubs are)
-replaced right lower leg
-got right side brake caliper
-got new floating brake disks
-also new braided hoses + tee piece
-and master cylinder (11/16 if I remember correctly)

I was a bit surprised how good the results are, even the old single pot calipers stop the bike with 2 fingers.

s&s screwed with this post 05-03-2014 at 08:31 AM
s&s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:03 PM   #4077
CoughinNails
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Thanks bdonley!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonley View Post
Looks great! A "real motorcycle"...
Man I don't know what constitutes as a "Real Motorcycle" anymore!!! I appreciate the comment. I will try to put some pictures of it with its original tins on it.
CoughinNails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014, 02:09 PM   #4078
Bustakneecap
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Quote:
How do like that Biltwell seat? I'm tempted to get one for its looks but afraid they'd be a buckboard for comfort.
Not comfortable at all, I can handle about an hour.
Bustakneecap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 05:58 AM   #4079
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,356
I have no experience with the Biltwell seat but mine has a similar profile and look. I had it custom built to my specs in brown leather by Ed of Sick Saddles. I did a few rough sketches overlaying pics of his stock offerings to illustrate what I wanted, and also sent him a pic of the Biltwell seat as part of my description. Ed was easy to work with and has very reasonable rates. Especially when considering that he will modify his standard stitching pattern, shape the foam to your requirements, and offers quite a few covering choices for a true custom seat. It turned out exactly how I wanted and I couldn't be happier with it.

While it's no touring seat, and everyone's ass is different, I've not had any issues with comfort on somewhat longer rides. In fact, while it's not really saying much, I find it more comfortable than the stocker.

Here's some pics....

"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #4080
SpikeC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
That is a very nice looking seat! The bike looks good as well......
2008 DB5R
IBA #8297
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote