Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-09-2014, 10:19 AM   #4081
SpikeC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
That is a very nice looking seat! The bike looks good as well......
2008 DB5R
IBA #8297
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:26 AM   #4082
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,637
Rancho shock boots as fork gaitors

$3.99 each at O'Reilly Auto Parts; Rancho RS1952

I hate to change fork seals so I look to put fork boots on my bikes first thing. I'd read about these on the XL forum and decided to hunt up a pair. You can order from Amazon but if you have an O'Reilly's in town you may find they'll be a bit less. I ordered them in the morning and they had them for me the same afternoon. I'd read about drilling vent holes, but Doug (husband) suggested a hot nail to simply punch a couple of holes, worked like a charm.

Sarah

greer screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 08:56 AM Reason: add part #
greer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 09:07 AM   #4083
woodnbow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,273
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
$3.99 each at O'Reilly Auto Parts; Rancho RS1952

I hate to change fork seals so I look to put fork boots on my bikes first thing. I'd read about these on the XL forum and decided to hunt up a pair. You can order from Amazon but if you have an O'Reilly's in town you may find they'll be a bit less. I ordered them in the morning and they had them for me the same afternoon. I'd read about drilling vent holes, but Doug (husband) suggested a hot nail to simply punch a couple of holes, worked like a charm.

Sarah
Nicely done... I love these cheap-o mods, especially when they look and function as well or better than the high dollar stuff!
Old 05-10-2014, 11:11 AM   #4084
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,291
Good info.

Can't beat that price, and it looks like they fit well.

Some way of protecting the tubes from knicks is a good idea for a bike that sees much gravel.

I'll keep those in mind for when and if I ever get to build a Sportster scrambler.

I would guess that they can also augment the stock dust seals to help keep grit and gunk away from the actual seals too.

Often a "bad" seal can be "fixed" by just cleaning gunk from beneath them. Here's a video that describes the process and introduces a simple and cheap tool designed for the purpose...

They're using them on inverted forks in the video, but the principle is the same for conventional forks.

Back in the old days of real film cameras, using a piece of 35mm film to make your own "tool" was pretty common. I "fixed" a few leaking seals this way, back in the day. I fact, in well over 30 years of riding I think I've only had to replace two or three seals due to actual bad seals. All the rest stopped leaking after getting crap out of them. It won't always work of course, but if you have a weeping seal it's definitely worth trying before tearing everything down to replace it.

If you do use gaiters, don't forget to periodically pull them up to inspect and clean the tubes and dust seals underneath. Probably not as likely on a street only bike, but from my years of riding dirt bikes with fork gaiters you'd be surprised at how much crap can get in through the vent holes.
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Randy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:49 AM   #4085
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks, I'll do my best to keep an eye on them. I've been a firm believer in fork boots since a ride across Labrador (gravel, gravel, gravel) a few years back. About half way in I got a nick in an unprotected fork tube, so there I was dealing with a nasty leak on a long trip away from home. I don't know that the Sportster will see much gravel, but I'm ready regardless.

Sarah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randy View Post
Good info.

Can't beat that price, and it looks like they fit well.

Some way of protecting the tubes from knicks is a good idea for a bike that sees much gravel.

I'll keep those in mind for when and if I ever get to build a Sportster scrambler.

I would guess that they can also augment the stock dust seals to help keep grit and gunk away from the actual seals too.

Often a "bad" seal can be "fixed" by just cleaning gunk from beneath them. Here's a video that describes the process and introduces a simple and cheap tool designed for the purpose...

They're using them on inverted forks in the video, but the principle is the same for conventional forks.

Back in the old days of real film cameras, using a piece of 35mm film to make your own "tool" was pretty common. I "fixed" a few leaking seals this way, back in the day. I fact, in well over 30 years of riding I think I've only had to replace two or three seals due to actual bad seals. All the rest stopped leaking after getting crap out of them. It won't always work of course, but if you have a weeping seal it's definitely worth trying before tearing everything down to replace it.

If you do use gaiters, don't forget to periodically pull them up to inspect and clean the tubes and dust seals underneath. Probably not as likely on a street only bike, but from my years of riding dirt bikes with fork gaiters you'd be surprised at how much crap can get in through the vent holes.
Old 05-10-2014, 01:06 PM   #4086
greer
Beastly Adventurer

Luggage Rack

I hadn't found much that suited me as far as fender racks go. I saw some homemade racks over on the XL forum and thought maybe I'd try to come up with something. Doug offered to help and started to measure and sketch; he was an art major and now a gunsmith and can do dang near anything. I mostly just stayed out of his way. The top is a cutting board from Target, and here are the aluminum sides, still in the works:

Turned into this:

Thinking about drilling some holes or cutting some slits in the board, we'll see.

I posted the links to some other good ideas for homemade racks in my thread over on the XL forum, you can see it here if you like:

http://xlforum.net/vbportal/forums/s....php?t=1775078

Sarah
Old 05-10-2014, 03:35 PM   #4087
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 355
Time to move on. Selling the Sporty...

Hi all-
Hand problems have gotten the better of me. Tried bars, levers, grips, etc. Decided I've gotta move on, if I want to ride at all. Selling my '05. Great bike, my wrists suck! Here's a link to the CL ad. Bike's in San Luis Obispo, Ca. I'd ride 250 or so miles to deliver, if needed. Ya'll know the bike. The full list of mods is in the ad's. I put on the FleaMarket, here, also. http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=977066 Better deal for forumites, of course... Bill D.

http://slo.craigslist.org/mcy/4452171905.html

bdonley screwed with this post 05-10-2014 at 04:12 PM
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 03:42 PM   #4088
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,305
Quote:
I hadn't found much that suited me as far as fender racks go. I saw some homemade racks over on the XL forum and thought maybe I'd try to come up with something. Doug offered to help and started to measure and sketch; he was an art major and now a gunsmith and can do dang near anything. I mostly just stayed out of his way. The top is a cutting board from Target, and here are the aluminum sides, still in the works:

Thinking about drilling some holes or cutting some slits in the board, we'll see.

I posted the links to some other good ideas for homemade racks in my thread over on the XL forum, you can see it here if you like:

Sarah
That's a good looking rack. Doug does nice work

Sent from my Nook Tablet using Tapatalk 2

Everyone has a use in life. Even if it is only to serve as a bad example
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 04:36 PM   #4089
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
I'm looking for some issues involving metal in the oil. I believe I have found one of the main issues, which is a badly worn #3 cam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 08:39 PM   #4090
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 938
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnwesley View Post
...badly worn #3 cam...
Any idea what caused that?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 11:44 PM   #4091
johnwesley
wanta be

Nothing yet, hope to find out. It's very odds for a sportster of this vintage with sock cams.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:51 AM   #4092
boatpuller
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 408
Quote:

Sarah
That cutting board is made from HDPE, and it machines wonderfully. You can easily route or drill it to your heart's content. I used that material to make the back seat and sundeck on my boat, and it was a joy to route.
boatpuller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 10:36 AM   #4093
johnwesley
wanta be

And it makes a great table for camping. Use it as a cutting board for supper.

Old 05-12-2014, 11:33 AM   #4094
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Turned into this:

Sarah
Awesome!

My normal camping bike has been my GS but since getting the Sportster I've been thinking about outfitting it for some weekend camping trips up in the mountains.

I've been planning a luggage solution for my Sportster since last year and haven't gotten around to it yet. I wanted something that could go on and off easily so I could load up for the trip to my campsite, and then come off once I got there and was just tooling around the mountains. I found a decent deal on a detachable tour-pak mount on ebay. I planned to powder coat the mount black and then get a piece of 3/16" aluminum sheet to make a platform to mount the Dryspec D38 bags to.

But, after seeing your rack I looked around a bit. I can get a piece of 0.5" X 24" X 24" black HDPE for about half the price of the aluminum I had planned to use. Put the cost savings together with the much easier machining of the HDPE... plus the fact that it's black... and now I think I'll go that route instead.

Thanks for the idea!
"some might call it a 'midlife crisis', I prefer to call it a renaissance of thought and action"... "Life is too short to do anything other than that about which you are absolutely passionate."..."Adventure is a frame of mind, set upon by action, not defined by equipment."..."It all boils down to your ability to say "SCREW IT" and really mean it"....Randy
Old 05-12-2014, 11:36 AM   #4095
Randy
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpuller View Post
That cutting board is made from HDPE, and it machines wonderfully. You can easily route or drill it to your heart's content. I used that material to make the back seat and sundeck on my boat, and it was a joy to route.
Is there anything specific I need to know about machining the HDPE? Did you use a standard woodworking type router and bits, or something else? Any problems with the material heating up and melting when using a high speed router?