Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #271
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893
The crash bars aren't bad. I got mine used on eBay for right at $100 shipped.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:17 AM   #272
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,214
Windshield mounted, ready to go for the summer. I still don't know how people ride without a windshield.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1003485
jules083 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 08:50 AM   #273
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
Jules, did you consider the Drop-Top Memphis Fats?

Old 04-20-2014, 09:17 AM   #274
bdonley
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
[QUOTE=Lobby;23978825]Jules, did you consider the Drop-Top Memphis Fats?

Really like the idea of that. Small changes make such a difference in windshields. Trying to cobble up something like that for my batwing. Having a hard time getting it just right. I've got an injured neck and it'll make the difference between riding or not......
bdonley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:24 AM   #275
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
Jules, did you consider the Drop-Top Memphis Fats?

Yeah, I thought about it. I did a lot of windshield experimenting on my Road King, and figured out what worked. I think I nailed it here. The windshield is about 1" higher than I like, but at the same time I currently have a low and hard seat. A better seat or a pad should be about perfect.

The drop top sounds like a good idea, and I've read that guys like them. I just wanted to get what I knew would work. I start to get buffeting at 70 or so, which is fine. It's manageable all day for me. If I had a neck problem or something it would probably be too much.

Old 04-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #276
Lobby
Viel Spass, Vato!

Oddometer: 27,890
It was the same with me and my Road King, but I never found the solution. So now I've got an Ultra.

And it's hot in the summer.

Old 04-20-2014, 10:06 AM   #277
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobby View Post
It was the same with me and my Road King, but I never found the solution. So now I've got an Ultra.

And it's hot in the summer.

1. Short windshield, just barely below your line of sight.

2. Lower fork-mounted wind deflectors

3. Keep your knees in. If you spread them away from the gas tank the updraft changes.

4. Don't use your highway pegs.

That'll get you smooth to above 80. Soft lowers would probably help, I never got around to trying them.

It's funny to me that the seating position on this bike is almost identical to where my road king was, and where your ultra probably is. It's one of the reasons I bought this bike, I knew I could be just as comfortable except on a lighter and better handling bike.

For the dyna at this point I am skipping the lower deflectors. Later on I may adjust as needed. It's the bottom wind, not the top, that gets you. Mid controls are better than forewords also. When I had my softail the wind blast would follow my legs and smack me in the bottom of the chin. This bike doesn't do that.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:23 PM   #278
studad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 893

Nothing new here. When I'm not riding, I really want to sell and get another GS. When I'm riding, I wonder why I'd ever want to not own this bike.
studad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:16 PM   #279
maydaymike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
Going down on Saturday to order a new Street Bob through the HD-1 customization program. Getting the lower bars (looks to be the same one that come on the Super glide custom) and mid controls. Mrsmayday insisted on the 'sand camo denim' paint after spotting a Fat Boy Lo in that color. It's a great contrast against the blacked out engine, forks, and wheels. This will be a third bike to share between us when we want to ride something different than our Bonnevilles.

Should look something like this.

and a better photo of the actual color...

The sales guy said that it would take about 4 weeks after he orders it. It seems like forever!

The thing is Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.
maydaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:29 PM   #280
jersey jim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,056
Quote:
Originally Posted by maydaymike View Post
Going down on Saturday to order a new Street Bob through the HD-1 customization program. Getting the lower bars (looks to be the same one that come on the Super glide custom) and mid controls. Mrsmayday insisted on the 'sand camo denim' paint after spotting a Fat Boy Lo in that color. It's a great contrast against the blacked out engine, forks, and wheels. This will be a third bike to share between us when we want to ride something different than our Bonnevilles.

Should look something like this.

and a better photo of the actual color...

The sales guy said that it would take about 4 weeks after he orders it. It seems like forever!
When I first saw pictures of that color I didn't think much of it, but they had a Street Glide in that color outside at the dealer, it really looks good in person. Especially against black accents. Should be a sharp looking bike.

13 HD Ultra Limited, 03 Yamaha Road Star Warrior ( for sale! )
jersey jim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:50 PM   #281
maydaymike
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
It has sort of a sheen to it in the sun that you can make out in the second photo. It really does look better in person. Added bonus is that it's sort of dirt colored... shouldn't have to wash it, right? I've found that an all black bike is a bother to keep clean...

The thing is Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care.

maydaymike screwed with this post 05-08-2014 at 10:26 PM
maydaymike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 10:05 AM   #282
lagcam
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 731
Quote:
Originally Posted by jules083 View Post
1. Short windshield, just barely below your line of sight.

2. Lower fork-mounted wind deflectors

3. Keep your knees in. If you spread them away from the gas tank the updraft changes.

4. Don't use your highway pegs.

That'll get you smooth to above 80. Soft lowers would probably help, I never got around to trying them.

It's funny to me that the seating position on this bike is almost identical to where my road king was, and where your ultra probably is. It's one of the reasons I bought this bike, I knew I could be just as comfortable except on a lighter and better handling bike.

For the dyna at this point I am skipping the lower deflectors. Later on I may adjust as needed. It's the bottom wind, not the top, that gets you. Mid controls are better than forewords also. When I had my softail the wind blast would follow my legs and smack me in the bottom of the chin. This bike doesn't do that.

I went with the Memphis Shades lowers, plus I bought two more of the plastics only and mounted them on the windshield. Took the updraft away that would follow up my legs and take my breath away. Looks a little goofy but it's much nicer on the highway.

lagcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:19 AM   #283
shupe
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 159
I guess we think along the same lines.
I have a National Cycle shield and the Memphis Shades lowers.
The NC shield mounts allow the brackets for the lowers to clamp to the fork tubes ABOVE the lower tree, so no chance of the legs hitting them if the fork bottoms out. Oddly, the Memphis Shades shields dont' allow that.

"Experience has shown that it is preferable to use a comparatively large
motor running at a moderate speed in preference to a smaller motor running
at high speed."
-Harley-Davidson sales brochure - 1905

shupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 11:55 AM   #284
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Well it looks like I just missed the windshield measurement. It's a little bit high.

I don't suppose anyone wants to trade a 15" memphis fats for my 17"? I know, that's a bit optimistic. I'm going to cut an inch off next chance I get and see how it is, but I believe I'll have to go 2".
Old 05-09-2014, 12:59 PM   #285
jules083
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by maydaymike View Post

Nice. I like my street bob, except for the smaller gas tank and lowered shocks. The shocks suck on all of the dyna's, so not that big of a deal. I didn't realize the tank was smaller or I probably would have gotten a different model. My fault though, I should have checked.