Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-07-2014, 04:24 PM   #496
CosmoKorny
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy in the sky View Post
hi,
don't wish to offend anyone,but are there any g/w riders younger than 55? and are there any clubs or organizations that are wing specific? excuse the questions, just wondering, I was invited to a gwrra meeting by a wing owner who has been helping me try to find the one for me, I still can't believe there are people like that. thank you.

I had a GL1100I when I was 26, rode it cross country. I LOVED that bike but sold it to buy a jeep, then bought another a few years later. I've made it to the ripe old age of 50.

CosmoKorny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 05:53 PM   #497
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 682
I have a '83 GL1100I that was raised from the dead about 4 years ago. Since then I have put about 17K or 18K on the bike with virtually no problems to speak of. I often get the itch for a newer tourer, maybe more on the sport-touring side like a Kawasaki 14 Concours, or a Yamaha FJR1300, but my bride is happy on the back of the Gold Wing and I get thinking why not just keep riding it?

I doubt I'd ever upgrade to an 1800, just because of how bulky one felt to me when I sat on it. I see no real advantage to going to the slightly newer 1200, and really don't care for the appearance of the 1500.... so it looks like the old '83 1100 is going to be around a lo-o-o-ng time. I must admit I'm really comfortable on the bike and feel like I can handle it just fine.

The only thing I'm a little unsure about is how the 1100 would handle a trip through the mountains. I was solo on the 'Wing to the Denver area and was told it was above 6,000 Ft. where we actually were (Parker, CO) I could tell the power was diminished at that elevation, and wondered how it would handle two-up through some of the passes that go to maybe 10,000 or so. I'd really like to go the top of Pikes Peak (elevation??), and Mt. Evans that's over 14,000 (if I recall correctly).

With all that said, I'll close by passing on that my wife talked with a Gold Wing rider yesterday evening while she was on a business trip in Iowa. The fellow bought his Gold Wing new 2 years ago, already had 75,000 miles on it, and was on a "Four Corners" adventure with another rider who was also on a Gold Wing. After talking a bit she told him about our 1100 and that I had been trying to get her to test ride a C-14 or FJR1300 with me to see if she'd like one. His reply was "Stick with the Gold Wing". I guess I'm pretty much screwed on "sporting up" the touring bike in my life! In reality I'm cool with that. If my Bride is happy on the back of my $650 tourer, why should I care?

Ride on...................

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
lake_harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 08:28 PM   #498
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by judy in the sky View Post
hi,
don't wish to offend anyone,but are there any g/w riders younger than 55? and are there any clubs or organizations that are wing specific? excuse the questions, just wondering, I was invited to a gwrra meeting by a wing owner who has been helping me try to find the one for me, I still can't believe there are people like that. thank you.
I'm 44 and just bought one last year. So far I like the bike, but don't love it. If my wife didn't love the passenger accommodations so much, i'd probably sell it and get something else. Its her bike and i'm her pilot.

I'm sure there's tons of Gold Wing clubs, but I never looked into that before.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 05:50 AM   #499
JWhitmore44
pistolero

Oddometer: 1,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by lake_harley View Post
The only thing I'm a little unsure about is how the 1100 would handle a trip through the mountains. I was solo on the 'Wing to the Denver area and was told it was above 6,000 Ft. where we actually were (Parker, CO) I could tell the power was diminished at that elevation, and wondered how it would handle two-up through some of the passes that go to maybe 10,000 or so. I'd really like to go the top of Pikes Peak (elevation??), and Mt. Evans that's over 14,000 (if I recall correctly).
I doubt you would have any issues with the 1100 on those passes or going u Pikes Peak and Mount Evans. I've had my 1200 up Evans and I would have had no problems with doing it 2 up. As you climb the road gets tighter and you will be running in 2nd or third anyways. I don't think you will have any issues on the high passes either. You might feel a bit down on power but I think the 1100 probably has enough in reserve that it will handle just fine.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:22 AM   #500
Laconic
Anodyne

Oddometer: 17,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkitna View Post
So far I like the bike, but don't love it. If my wife didn't love the passenger accommodations so much, i'd probably sell it
That's where I am with mine. Kind of waiting to see how things shake out...
Laconic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 07:35 AM   #501
beechum1
Grimace Soup

Oddometer: 8,314
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JWhitmore44 View Post
I doubt you would have any issues with the 1100 on those passes or going u Pikes Peak and Mount Evans. I've had my 1200 up Evans and I would have had no problems with doing it 2 up. As you climb the road gets tighter and you will be running in 2nd or third anyways. I don't think you will have any issues on the high passes either. You might feel a bit down on power but I think the 1100 probably has enough in reserve that it will handle just fine.
I concur. My 1200 with the same carb bank as the 1100, jetted for sea level went over the 70 outside of Denver only felt underpowered in comparison to sea level. Not a problem at all.

beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 08:24 AM   #502
sandsman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 532
1994 Goldwing/Hannigan sidecar

Name:  goldwinghack7.jpg
Views: 643
Size:  87.8 KB

I'll add my 1994 Goldwing/Hannigan sidecar to the check-in. I bought it 2 years ago with 102,000 on the clock, now it has 135,000 on the clock.
I got a real good feeling something bad is about to happen,
sandsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:30 AM   #503
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
I concur. My 1200 with the same carb bank as the 1100, jetted for sea level went over the 70 outside of Denver only felt underpowered in comparison to sea level. Not a problem at all.

I guess, with that being the consensus, I can probably get everything done I want to do with the GL1100 I already own, my wife is happy on, and I can remain.....ummm...."frugal", with my $650 touring bike!

I just went from 5 bikes down to 2. The other bike is a '73 Sportster I've owned since '74 (love/hate relationship for sure). I do think I might want a 2nd "daily rider"...maybe something a little smaller and lighter than the 'Wing, but I think I'll just be happy with what I have for now.

Thanks for the info on my "touring at altitude" question!

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 05-09-2014, 09:18 AM   #504
Crocker
Just passing through

Oddometer: 4,527
I'll likely be joining the younger wing rider group. I'm 33 and looking to get something cheap I can take the wife with me on trips. Noticed I could get a pretty nice looking 1100 or 1200 for under $2000 so I've been doing some research on them. Look like good solid bikes that will get the job done.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 09:41 AM   #505
lake_harley
Studly Adventurer

Crocker.....

The longer I own my 1100, the more comfortable I get with it. I'll admit, I get lusting after, and looking around for, something a little more sporty for 2-up riding with my wife, but always seem to convince myself there's really no reason to buy anything different. I just went through that phase, as you can see a few post back. Granted, I'm pretty "frugal"....some would say "snug with a buck", but why not spend the $$ saved on a different bike (read that as more expensive) for gas, etc.? In reality I know a $10K or $20K motorcycle wouldn't get us out on more trips!

I will warn you though, and I'm sure it's been said many times before in this thread; "If you don't want to ride a Gold Wing, don't let your wife/girlfriend sit on a Gold Wing!" There's nothing wrong with that, but it might just set the tone for you when it comes to touring bikes.

Best wishes.

Lynn
IBA Member #49541
Old 05-09-2014, 10:35 AM   #506
jasonc32amg
Hello Gubner

Oddometer: 135
I guess I occupy the younger demographic of wing owners at 43. I've had mine for about a month and put a little over 5000 miles on it so far. I'm digging the bike.
Old 05-09-2014, 11:46 AM   #507
Crocker
Just passing through

Oddometer: 4,527
Quote:
I will warn you though, and I'm sure it's been said many times before in this thread; "If you don't want to ride a Gold Wing, don't let your wife/girlfriend sit on a Gold Wing!" There's nothing wrong with that, but it might just set the tone for you when it comes to touring bikes.

Best wishes.

Lynn

too late

My wife used to hate goldwings, thought they were big and ugly. She sat on one and thought "wow, this is really nice!" She'll never tell me what to buy, only saying that the back seat was really comfortable on that gold wing

It's kind of the same feeling I had when I took a 250cc dual purpose bike offroad after a couple years of doing the same on my gs..."wow, these small bikes offroad are really nice!"

So now I know I just need 2 bikes, one for offroad and one for touring.
Crocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #508
SloMo228
World Class Cheapass

Oddometer: 1,729
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crocker View Post
too late

My wife used to hate goldwings, thought they were big and ugly. She sat on one and thought "wow, this is really nice!" She'll never tell me what to buy, only saying that the back seat was really comfortable on that gold wing

It's kind of the same feeling I had when I took a 250cc dual purpose bike offroad after a couple years of doing the same on my gs..."wow, these small bikes offroad are really nice!"

So now I know I just need 2 bikes, one for offroad and one for touring.
Except then you go touring and see all kinds of interesting dirt roads and tracks that you'd love to turn onto and explore. Maybe a trailer behind the GL with a dirtbike on it is the answer.
SloMo228 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2014, 12:10 PM   #509
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,605
I bought a GL1500 when I was 31. My bride and I joined the local GWRRA chapter, but it was awkward having to look at pictures of peoples grand kids all the time, and we were newlyweds.

I sold the GL when we found out the Stork was coming. I didn't want the payment anymore.

Now I am 55 and I think I would like to go back to a GL. I think the 1100 is the best looking of all the 'wings. A 1500, otoh, is a lot newer and those things are about as bulletproof as a motorcycle can get. The 1800's offer more performance and better handling, but even a well used one is expensive.

I n the years since selling the GL1500, I have owned a bunch of bikes, including a C10, ST1300, FJR, Nomad, 2 V-Stroms, and now a VTX1300R.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2014, 05:32 AM   #510
tkitna
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,164
Quote:
Crocker.....

Best wishes.

Lynn
I hate to say it, but there's truth in this statement. If you let your wife sit on a Gold Wing, your screwed. Nothing else will do.

2008 DL650
2013 Goldwing
tkitna is offline   Reply With Quote