Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 AM   #21061
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 775
Cleaned and stock cam reinstalled after having a defective hotcams ruin my rocker arms.

Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #21062
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!

Oddometer: 385
Sexy Pig you've got there!!!
S-TrackJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #21063
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,474
My Texas plated XRR is in Flea Market for sale. Pm me for details if you are in the hunt.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #21064
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 343
Holy smokes, black rims and black plastics looks sweet! Love it.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #21065
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1010 View Post
I started it up let it idle for like 5 min then took it up and down the road came back shut it off...then checked it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is why it reads low.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #21066
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,189
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
quick question...
Some how i endended up with too many bikes in my shed.....love my 2000 xrr and kdx 220 for what they are individually and have longer street/gravel covered with another bike.
So the question here is what if any could replace the xrr to take the place of both for the average dual sport and occasional single track weekend or baja style trip?
I have subscribed tothis thread for 2.5 years and its an education at the least. Now wanting to simplify a bit...can i do betteer than the xrr as a single track/adv bike?
Note.....no interest in the latest bikes and associated cost. I had a crfx 450 which was great but bitten by the xr bug traded it for the 650. Is there anything a 49 year old dude should consider in the place of the two mentioned?
Thanks

xr400
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #21067
44Red
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
USD conversion for free, should I do it?

Ok so I will have access to a set of 2006 CRF 450X forks, Applied Triple set, Excel wheel, brakes, bars, the whole nine yards for nearly free. Now just because I have it doesn't mean I should do it. How many of you fellow XR fans would go for it given you had the parts available and price was not the limiting factor.

I know I still have to machine down the top triple and add a sleeve to make the stock XR stem work, but I have access to a mill and the shims are meh inexpensive.

The question to you is...would you do it. I don't subscribe to the theory on why Honda didn't do it on there race bikes (frame damage or inferior). That ones simple IMHO; it would depart too far from the stock bike (race on Sunday sell on Monday) they had to look the same, and would make the bike waaay to expensive to have it be included on the stocker. Plus it was a desert bike the suspension worked good for that. I will be trial riding and hitting the highway occasionally. Think Sheet Iron 300 taking the hard splits type stuff. Not sure if that's better or worse for USD you tell me.

I know this has been debated endlessly, but cost to do it is always a factor, so with that removed would you do it or not and why??

Thanks!!
44Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #21068
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128

Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Red View Post
Ok so I will have access to a set of 2006 CRF 450X forks, Applied Triple set, Excel wheel, brakes, bars, the whole nine yards for nearly free. Now just because I have it doesn't mean I should do it. How many of you fellow XR fans would go for it given you had the parts available and price was not the limiting factor.

I know I still have to machine down the top triple and add a sleeve to make the stock XR stem work, but I have access to a mill and the shims are meh inexpensive.

The question to you is...would you do it. I don't subscribe to the theory on why Honda didn't do it on there race bikes (frame damage or inferior). That ones simple IMHO; it would depart too far from the stock bike (race on Sunday sell on Monday) they had to look the same, and would make the bike waaay to expensive to have it be included on the stocker. Plus it was a desert bike the suspension worked good for that. I will be trial riding and hitting the highway occasionally. Think Sheet Iron 300 taking the hard splits type stuff. Not sure if that's better or worse for USD you tell me.

I know this has been debated endlessly, but cost to do it is always a factor, so with that removed would you do it or not and why??

Thanks!!
I'll answer your question with a question....What problem are you trying to resolve? What do you not like about the stock forks? Have yours been re-valved and re-sprung to match your weight and riding style? Don't forget, the 450X forks will need to be tuned as well.

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #21069
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:

Thanks!!
I have run both stock forks and USD. I love my USD for and can't imagine the XRR without them. That being said my USD have been worked on and are perfectly valved and sprung.
“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on.”
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:07 AM   #21070
vonkas
Adventurer

Oddometer: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sub Zero View Post
Cleaned and stock cam reinstalled after having a defective hotcams ruin my rocker arms.
I have a hot cam lined up for installation. What went wrong with yours?
vonkas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 12:34 AM   #21071
redrider650
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
USD back to stock

Quote:

Thanks!!
I did it and after two years went back to stock. I felt no performance advantage (both stock and USD resprung and revalved) and had to replace fork seals twice on the USD vs zero fork seal replacements in 6 years with stock forks. Honda made this bike for max performance with max reliability. If you venture from stock, you will affect one of those.
redrider650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 01:01 AM   #21072
babuja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
I did it after a crash with CRF showa valved and sprung and don't think of going back. 2year no fork seal problems so far... But I regularly do some cleaning

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
KTM 950 ADV
www.babuja.smugmug.com
http://www.nomadstrail.net/site/
babuja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 02:02 AM   #21073
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!

Oddometer: 775
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonkas View Post
I have a hot cam lined up for installation. What went wrong with yours?
mine was defective. I have ran a hotcams stage 1 camshaft in an XR650L I owned before and it was fine, but I have always heard negative things when dealing with hotcams. Mine was a stage 2 camshaft that I installed in my XR650R. followed the instruction sheet on proper installation and dos and donts etc. the lobes on the new camshaft made nasty gorge marks into all 3 rocker arms (all 4 lifters(? terminology) ) and was causing excessive clearance on the valve tappits because it was eating away my rocker arms. I took it back to the dealership i ordered it from and I asked the parts guy to get in touch with hotcams and tell them to send me a replacement or refund my money. (the parts guy is a close friend of mine so when he told me he contacted hotcams and said they would not replace or refund me i believed him). I had to spend about 150$ on 3 brand new rocker arms and reinstall the stock camshaft. If hotcams will not stand behind their product they dont deserve my business. (or anyones business for that matter).

I have the old rocker arms and hotcams camshaft Ill take pics tomorrow and post them here.
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 06:58 AM   #21074
S-TrackJunkie
Shut up and dance!

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
I will be trial riding and hitting the highway occasionally.
HOLY SHIT!!

I wouldn't replace mine with USD, unless they were bent, or broken....that's my $.02 worth!

BRAP!! Early Memorial Day Weekend trip for me and the Mrs.!!

S-TrackJunkie screwed with this post 05-20-2014 at 07:06 AM
S-TrackJunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:16 AM   #21075
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 510
Here I as looking for a set of snowflake firebird rims for my '69, and you are sporting them on you trailer!! Jeepers!! Have a safe and fun trip!