ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-17-2014, 04:44 PM   #21046
Travis1010
Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2014
Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZXRaziel View Post
Can you tell us what exactly is your oil checking procedure ?

I started it up let it idle for like 5 min then took it up and down the road came back shut it off...then checked it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Travis1010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:15 PM   #21047
Keyz
Adventurer
 
Keyz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: The 410 the beast coast
Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
Just curious what others "normal condition" idle speeds are. I've got the Mikuni pumper installed.

We're still trying to dial this thing in.
Stock carb, I idle at 1650-1700 which is where it likes it

If you watch some of the hoffmann australian safari stuff from back in the early 2000's they were idling the bikes at 1700-1800
__________________
Present 2001 Bandit GSF1216N
Past 2000 XR650R 2009 DR650 2006 SV650N
Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:23 PM   #21048
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die
 
Indiana Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
Stock carb, I idle at 1650-1700 which is where it likes it

If you watch some of the hoffmann australian safari stuff from back in the early 2000's they were idling the bikes at 1700-1800
Thank you for the input Keyz.
The Mikuni is a lot like a woman. She's a real bitch to get going, but once you get her going there's no stopping her.
__________________
Sunday ADV...that's my church.
Indiana Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:46 PM   #21049
Keyz
Adventurer
 
Keyz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: The 410 the beast coast
Oddometer: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Bones View Post
Thank you for the input Keyz.
The Mikuni is a lot like a woman. She's a real bitch to get going, but once you get her going there's no stopping her.
I have the same problem with the pumper mikuni on a DR350, I've come to the conclusion it's starting procedure, just needs a little foreplay I usually set the idle high on start, and then bring it back down after it's warmed up .

I've never used the choke on my 650R (unless it's frostbite cold) and I have to say the stock carb is actually not that bad
__________________
Present 2001 Bandit GSF1216N
Past 2000 XR650R 2009 DR650 2006 SV650N
Keyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 05:48 PM   #21050
Indiana Bones
Ride or Die
 
Indiana Bones's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Sin City
Oddometer: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyz View Post
I have the same problem with the pumper mikuni on a DR350, I've come to the conclusion it's starting procedure, just needs a little foreplay I usually set the idle high on start, and then bring it back down after it's warmed up .

I've never used the choke on my 650R (unless it's frostbite cold) and I have to say the stock carb is actually not that bad
You've got to be kidding me...you found the g-spot. *slow clap*

Sent from my Torque using Tapatalk
__________________
Sunday ADV...that's my church.
Indiana Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 09:20 PM   #21051
mitchn06
Studly Adventurer
 
mitchn06's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: SoDak
Oddometer: 543
My idle is 1500. It will stall out with anything less. Probably due to the hotcams. But not sure. Starts first kick on cold mornings with choke on and fires up one kick no choke when warm.
__________________
2000 Honda XR650R (Sold) LINK
2014.5 Kawasaki KLR650 NE
mitchn06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:01 AM   #21052
Sub Zero
Ice Breather!
 
Sub Zero's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Orlando, Florida
Oddometer: 813
Cleaned and stock cam reinstalled after having a defective hotcams ruin my rocker arms.

__________________
1994 WR250-Z | 1997 KX500 | 1998 KLX300 | 2004 CRF450R (Motard) | 2009 KX450F | 2001 XR650R | 1992 WR200R | 1992 WR500-Z | 1986 GPZ900 | 2005 RMZ450 | 1986 CR500AF in a 1998 CR250R frame | all street legal
"Great! What am I supposed to use now?! Harsh language?"
- Duke Nukem
Sub Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 12:13 PM   #21053
S-TrackJunkie
Knee Down!
 
S-TrackJunkie's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Colorado Springs
Oddometer: 649
Sexy Pig you've got there!!!
S-TrackJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 07:47 PM   #21054
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer
 
Kiko's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2006
Location: Jalisco, Mexico 45825
Oddometer: 1,857
My Texas plated XRR is in Flea Market for sale. Pm me for details if you are in the hunt.
__________________
Conmigo piscas, y no moloncos.
Kiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 12:12 AM   #21055
Capt. Egregious
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Capt. Egregious's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2010
Location: Where the sewer meets the sea, Edmonds Wa
Oddometer: 376
Holy smokes, black rims and black plastics looks sweet! Love it.
Capt. Egregious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:28 AM   #21056
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travis1010 View Post
I started it up let it idle for like 5 min then took it up and down the road came back shut it off...then checked it


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That is why it reads low.
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:30 AM   #21057
crypto666
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2011
Location: The best trails in Nevada
Oddometer: 1,388
Quote:
Originally Posted by seasider View Post
quick question...
Some how i endended up with too many bikes in my shed.....love my 2000 xrr and kdx 220 for what they are individually and have longer street/gravel covered with another bike.
So the question here is what if any could replace the xrr to take the place of both for the average dual sport and occasional single track weekend or baja style trip?
I have subscribed tothis thread for 2.5 years and its an education at the least. Now wanting to simplify a bit...can i do betteer than the xrr as a single track/adv bike?
Note.....no interest in the latest bikes and associated cost. I had a crfx 450 which was great but bitten by the xr bug traded it for the 650. Is there anything a 49 year old dude should consider in the place of the two mentioned?
Thanks

xr400
crypto666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 01:30 PM   #21058
44Red
Adventurer
 
Joined: Nov 2013
Location: Lincoln, Ca
Oddometer: 21
USD conversion for free, should I do it?

Ok so I will have access to a set of 2006 CRF 450X forks, Applied Triple set, Excel wheel, brakes, bars, the whole nine yards for nearly free. Now just because I have it doesn't mean I should do it. How many of you fellow XR fans would go for it given you had the parts available and price was not the limiting factor.

I know I still have to machine down the top triple and add a sleeve to make the stock XR stem work, but I have access to a mill and the shims are meh inexpensive.

The question to you is...would you do it. I don't subscribe to the theory on why Honda didn't do it on there race bikes (frame damage or inferior). That ones simple IMHO; it would depart too far from the stock bike (race on Sunday sell on Monday) they had to look the same, and would make the bike waaay to expensive to have it be included on the stocker. Plus it was a desert bike the suspension worked good for that. I will be trial riding and hitting the highway occasionally. Think Sheet Iron 300 taking the hard splits type stuff. Not sure if that's better or worse for USD you tell me.

I know this has been debated endlessly, but cost to do it is always a factor, so with that removed would you do it or not and why??

Thanks!!
44Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 02:31 PM   #21059
Cpt. Ron
Advrider #128
 
Cpt. Ron's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2001
Location: Sacramento, CA
Oddometer: 3,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Red View Post
Ok so I will have access to a set of 2006 CRF 450X forks, Applied Triple set, Excel wheel, brakes, bars, the whole nine yards for nearly free. Now just because I have it doesn't mean I should do it. How many of you fellow XR fans would go for it given you had the parts available and price was not the limiting factor.

I know I still have to machine down the top triple and add a sleeve to make the stock XR stem work, but I have access to a mill and the shims are meh inexpensive.

The question to you is...would you do it. I don't subscribe to the theory on why Honda didn't do it on there race bikes (frame damage or inferior). That ones simple IMHO; it would depart too far from the stock bike (race on Sunday sell on Monday) they had to look the same, and would make the bike waaay to expensive to have it be included on the stocker. Plus it was a desert bike the suspension worked good for that. I will be trial riding and hitting the highway occasionally. Think Sheet Iron 300 taking the hard splits type stuff. Not sure if that's better or worse for USD you tell me.

I know this has been debated endlessly, but cost to do it is always a factor, so with that removed would you do it or not and why??

Thanks!!
I'll answer your question with a question....What problem are you trying to resolve? What do you not like about the stock forks? Have yours been re-valved and re-sprung to match your weight and riding style? Don't forget, the 450X forks will need to be tuned as well.
__________________
Cpt. Ron

"I don't know what you do, but I know what I do, and I don't do that." --Uncle Doug, R.I.P.
"Without the possibility of death, adventure is not possible"--Reinhold Messner
Cpt. Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 03:36 PM   #21060
1bigrn
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 223
Quote:
Originally Posted by 44Red View Post
Ok so I will have access to a set of 2006 CRF 450X forks, Applied Triple set, Excel wheel, brakes, bars, the whole nine yards for nearly free. Now just because I have it doesn't mean I should do it. How many of you fellow XR fans would go for it given you had the parts available and price was not the limiting factor.

I know I still have to machine down the top triple and add a sleeve to make the stock XR stem work, but I have access to a mill and the shims are meh inexpensive.

The question to you is...would you do it. I don't subscribe to the theory on why Honda didn't do it on there race bikes (frame damage or inferior). That ones simple IMHO; it would depart too far from the stock bike (race on Sunday sell on Monday) they had to look the same, and would make the bike waaay to expensive to have it be included on the stocker. Plus it was a desert bike the suspension worked good for that. I will be trial riding and hitting the highway occasionally. Think Sheet Iron 300 taking the hard splits type stuff. Not sure if that's better or worse for USD you tell me.

I know this has been debated endlessly, but cost to do it is always a factor, so with that removed would you do it or not and why??

Thanks!!
I have run both stock forks and USD. I love my USD for and can't imagine the XRR without them. That being said my USD have been worked on and are perfectly valved and sprung.
__________________
“You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, or even months over-analyzing a situation; trying to put the pieces together, justifying what could've, would've happened... or you can just leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on.”
1bigrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 06:36 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015