Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 08:54 AM   #2176
DasMatti
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 240
Today an error struck me, I never thought it could happen again.

Was standing at a stopsign and the guy in front of me fell asleep, or something.
So I honked at him. It came out more angry than anticipated. The horn kept stuck!

I disconnected the cables from the left switch-cluster and rode it to the dealer.
It took them roughly under 20 minutes to change the complete left side and send me back on the road. I couldn't drink my coffee as fast as the mechanics were wrechning. Hadn't even got any time left to look at all the goodies they had laying around.
DasMatti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 09:13 AM   #2177
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uly View Post
So I've verified that the fan is coming on at 212F but just sitting there idling the temp continues to climb. If I'm moving all is fine.

I also noticed something unusual and have a really silly question. Is there supposed to be a fan behind each radiator? I only have one on the right side.

You have a problem. Take the bike to a dealer. With the fan on the temp should stabilize and then drop slowly.
May be an airlock in the system.
steelerider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 03:41 PM   #2178
Existence_Inc
The Wanderer

Oddometer: 154
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeKingGeorge View Post
212 degrees Centigrade? Better jump off the bike before it catches on fire or something melts.

Less beer at work I guess. Sorry about that. 212*F.

~Ex
2014 BMW R1200GS
Existence_Inc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:23 PM   #2179
AZriderTST
TST1

Oddometer: 19
water pump leak

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelerider View Post
If you are low, you may be leaking coolant from the weep hole on the left hand side of the bike. It is a small hole right in front of the cylinder. If it is dribbling coolant, you have a water pump that needs to be replaced.
After reading this thread I checked my weep hole yes fluid had come out called dealer and they are ordering new water pump. It was clean a week ago. 24,500 mi on bike. Thanks for this forum.
AZriderTST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 10:43 AM   #2180
Glock owner
Bad Example

Oddometer: 63
BMW Germany Facebook

I just posted on the BMW Germany Facebook page regarding my displeasure with BMW's after sales service.

https://www.facebook.com/BMWMotorrad...t=feed_comment

Please visit it and leave a comment if you have had bad experiences with servicing your BMW. I think this is why belonging to BMWOA is a good idea. You get more support from BMW owners than the corporation.

Glock owner screwed with this post 05-16-2014 at 08:18 PM
Glock owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2014, 11:45 AM   #2181
flyfishingfox
n00b

Oddometer: 9
got my bike less than 45 days and cruise control just quit working.
Dealer said taks aobut a week for them to get parts
flyfishingfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:14 PM   #2182
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Last week got a chance to ride a new R1200RT demo for 80 miles.
Transmission from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd sucks....
Clunks like junk.

sorry , calls 'em as I sees 'em.

There's a guy @ sportouring selling an RT after 200 miles...
Quite a few 2013 LCGSs for sale as well.

I bought a lot of BMW accessories anticipating the purchase of a new R1200GS LC. Vario cases, pegs, LED turn sigs... etc

Thinkin' to just sell it all.
Unless they get these bikes sorted out.
Specifically new switch gear and a new transmission.

I already have a BMW with a clunky transmission, a 2008 K1200GT...
drives me nuts... don't want another one.

my .02

d'milan
DMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:32 PM   #2183
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 2,221
I cannot believe that I'm still reading complaints about BMW's clunky transmissions, like this is something new.
I've owned 3 of the bikes all clunky as the dickens, I wouldn't know what to do if they didn't, one thing about the new LC though is that once you learn the bike it is easy to shift it smoothly, but it is unforgiving to improper technique.
If you get a 2014 add Shift Assist Pro and the gearbox is a dream.

Breakfast first, lunch second and safety third.
I'm a staunch believer in MTGMTT, don't take unnecessary chances too often.
JetSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:34 PM   #2184
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,709
Learning to shift the thing helps and then it doesn't clunk*(most of the time). I don't say it's great, don't me wrong here, but this bike needs to be shifted quite differently than other bikes I had.

I found that if I ride like a total idiot I don't have any issues with clunky shifting other than going from neutral to first. So I adjusted my shifting during "normal riding" to the way I shift when I have fun and since then I have rarely any issues with the gearbox other than the moving clutch engagement point (different when cold/hot) and shifting into first from neutral.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 01:36 PM   #2185
Byrdguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 145
The trans in my last bike (08 1200GS) was clunky with a lot of driveline lash. That's the only thing I didn't like about the bike. I never had any problems and learned how to shift to minimize it all, but one shouldn't have to. My new GSAW shifts great and has no discernible slack, a big improvement. The clutch is also smoother. An issue I'm trying to get used to is internal engine noise when the engine is warmed up and idling in neutral with the clutch out. Probably the trans gears rumbling in its belly and/or the new multiplate wet clutch. It usually takes a while for me to get used to all the quirks of a new bike.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:13 PM   #2186
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 452
I found that adjusting the clutch lever to a position closer to the handle bars improved shifting. In the OEM position I had to let the clutch lever out a looong way. That complicated timing the clutch and throttle contributing to sometimes jerky shifting. With the adjustable clutch lever in closer, it is much better.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:30 PM   #2187
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I cannot believe that I'm still reading complaints about BMW's clunky transmissions, like this is something new.
I've owned 3 of the bikes all clunky as the dickens, I wouldn't know what to do if they didn't, one thing about the new LC though is that once you learn the bike it is easy to shift it smoothly, but it is unforgiving to improper technique.
If you get a 2014 add Shift Assist Pro and the gearbox is a dream.
Yeah, I hear ya...still hearing complaints
You think they'd have addressed the issue by now.

YEARS of switchgear issues, years of complaints regarding shift quality.

Improper technique, that reminds me of my 2002 R1150 RT that surged badly at lower speeds. Some purists claimed that the rider was to blame. Rubbish.
You should be able to motor along at 40 mph without suffering whiplash from a constantly hunting fuel injection system searching for the right mixture.

I think many purchase these bikes not expecting such an issue, thus the complaints.
It's a premium priced product.
Shifting is a standard function, shouldn't be difficult, require special skills or techniques. Just like in a car. Push in the clutch, change gears, let out the clutch. Shouldn't sound like it's gonna grenade beneath you.

Appreciate for your feedback Jetspeed, seems your a bright guy, aviator and all, but even the Shift Assist requires you to be heavy on the throttle from what I've read.
I don't want to ride like that all the time.

d'milan
Old 05-18-2014, 02:33 PM   #2188
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
but even the Shift Assist requires you to be heavy on the throttle from what I've read.
I don't want to ride like that all the time.
I don't have to be heavy on the throttle for shifts to be smooth. I could probably match engine speed with the throttle and it would work as well, but what I do is a very, very quick shift - pull the clutch, switch gears, done. Very quick without giving the engine time to loose revs. Works here. Might or might not work for you.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:41 PM   #2189
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Learning to shift the thing helps and then it doesn't clunk*(most of the time). I don't say it's great, don't me wrong here, but this bike needs to be shifted quite differently than other bikes I had.

I found that if I ride like a total idiot I don't have any issues with clunky shifting other than going from neutral to first. So I adjusted my shifting during "normal riding" to the way I shift when I have fun and since then I have rarely any issues with the gearbox other than the moving clutch engagement point (different when cold/hot) and shifting into first from neutral.
Thanks cug,

I know what you mean.
My 2008 K1200GT shifts much better when you're goosing the throttle a bit.

But, I don't feel I should need to ride like a total idiot in order to achieve clean quiet shifts,.

I'm 58 years old. I use my motorcycles exclusively for transportation.
I try to have fun while I'm at it. Much better than being in a car, like a mope.
But, to a degree, it's an appliance.

If I ride all the time, "like a total idiot" in order to achieve proper shifts, I will be more likely to, sooner or later, die while doing it. I chose when I want to have some fun. We I feel it's appropriate and relatively safe.

Otherwise, I'd just like to simply change gears.

d'milan
Old 05-18-2014, 02:56 PM   #2190
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
But, I don't feel I should need to ride like a total idiot in order to achieve clean quiet shifts,.
I actually don't need to. I only SHIFT like I would if I were riding like this. I think that's what I said a few posts up. Shifting was clunky for me when I got the bike and I was playing around, trying to figure out what the bike likes and what it doesn't like. After a ride along the coast on HW1 where I had lots of fun I noticed that for miles and miles I hadn't heard a single clunk from the transmission ... that got me trying more.

Again: I shift the bike like the guy in this video at around 2:32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGK76jbaxC4

It's like a do a very quick pull and immediate release. Coordinate that with my foot and everything shifts nice and smooth. Take longer, let the revs drop, try to be gentle with the bike and it'll try to spank you ...