Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > GS Boxers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #2176
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,015
I cannot believe that I'm still reading complaints about BMW's clunky transmissions, like this is something new.
I've owned 3 of the bikes all clunky as the dickens, I wouldn't know what to do if they didn't, one thing about the new LC though is that once you learn the bike it is easy to shift it smoothly, but it is unforgiving to improper technique.
If you get a 2014 add Shift Assist Pro and the gearbox is a dream.
Old 05-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #2177
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,842
Learning to shift the thing helps and then it doesn't clunk*(most of the time). I don't say it's great, don't me wrong here, but this bike needs to be shifted quite differently than other bikes I had.

I found that if I ride like a total idiot I don't have any issues with clunky shifting other than going from neutral to first. So I adjusted my shifting during "normal riding" to the way I shift when I have fun and since then I have rarely any issues with the gearbox other than the moving clutch engagement point (different when cold/hot) and shifting into first from neutral.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 02:36 PM   #2178
Byrdguy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
The trans in my last bike (08 1200GS) was clunky with a lot of driveline lash. That's the only thing I didn't like about the bike. I never had any problems and learned how to shift to minimize it all, but one shouldn't have to. My new GSAW shifts great and has no discernible slack, a big improvement. The clutch is also smoother. An issue I'm trying to get used to is internal engine noise when the engine is warmed up and idling in neutral with the clutch out. Probably the trans gears rumbling in its belly and/or the new multiplate wet clutch. It usually takes a while for me to get used to all the quirks of a new bike.
Byrdguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:13 PM   #2179
Tonopah
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 457
I found that adjusting the clutch lever to a position closer to the handle bars improved shifting. In the OEM position I had to let the clutch lever out a looong way. That complicated timing the clutch and throttle contributing to sometimes jerky shifting. With the adjustable clutch lever in closer, it is much better.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:30 PM   #2180
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I cannot believe that I'm still reading complaints about BMW's clunky transmissions, like this is something new.
I've owned 3 of the bikes all clunky as the dickens, I wouldn't know what to do if they didn't, one thing about the new LC though is that once you learn the bike it is easy to shift it smoothly, but it is unforgiving to improper technique.
If you get a 2014 add Shift Assist Pro and the gearbox is a dream.
Yeah, I hear ya...still hearing complaints
You think they'd have addressed the issue by now.

YEARS of switchgear issues, years of complaints regarding shift quality.

Improper technique, that reminds me of my 2002 R1150 RT that surged badly at lower speeds. Some purists claimed that the rider was to blame. Rubbish.
You should be able to motor along at 40 mph without suffering whiplash from a constantly hunting fuel injection system searching for the right mixture.

I think many purchase these bikes not expecting such an issue, thus the complaints.
It's a premium priced product.
Shifting is a standard function, shouldn't be difficult, require special skills or techniques. Just like in a car. Push in the clutch, change gears, let out the clutch. Shouldn't sound like it's gonna grenade beneath you.

Appreciate for your feedback Jetspeed, seems your a bright guy, aviator and all, but even the Shift Assist requires you to be heavy on the throttle from what I've read.
I don't want to ride like that all the time.

d'milan
DMilan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #2181
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
but even the Shift Assist requires you to be heavy on the throttle from what I've read.
I don't want to ride like that all the time.
I don't have to be heavy on the throttle for shifts to be smooth. I could probably match engine speed with the throttle and it would work as well, but what I do is a very, very quick shift - pull the clutch, switch gears, done. Very quick without giving the engine time to loose revs. Works here. Might or might not work for you.
Old 05-18-2014, 03:41 PM   #2182
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
Learning to shift the thing helps and then it doesn't clunk*(most of the time). I don't say it's great, don't me wrong here, but this bike needs to be shifted quite differently than other bikes I had.

I found that if I ride like a total idiot I don't have any issues with clunky shifting other than going from neutral to first. So I adjusted my shifting during "normal riding" to the way I shift when I have fun and since then I have rarely any issues with the gearbox other than the moving clutch engagement point (different when cold/hot) and shifting into first from neutral.
Thanks cug,

I know what you mean.
My 2008 K1200GT shifts much better when you're goosing the throttle a bit.

But, I don't feel I should need to ride like a total idiot in order to achieve clean quiet shifts,.

I'm 58 years old. I use my motorcycles exclusively for transportation.
I try to have fun while I'm at it. Much better than being in a car, like a mope.
But, to a degree, it's an appliance.

If I ride all the time, "like a total idiot" in order to achieve proper shifts, I will be more likely to, sooner or later, die while doing it. I chose when I want to have some fun. We I feel it's appropriate and relatively safe.

Otherwise, I'd just like to simply change gears.

d'milan
Old 05-18-2014, 03:56 PM   #2183
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMilan View Post
But, I don't feel I should need to ride like a total idiot in order to achieve clean quiet shifts,.
I actually don't need to. I only SHIFT like I would if I were riding like this. I think that's what I said a few posts up. Shifting was clunky for me when I got the bike and I was playing around, trying to figure out what the bike likes and what it doesn't like. After a ride along the coast on HW1 where I had lots of fun I noticed that for miles and miles I hadn't heard a single clunk from the transmission ... that got me trying more.

Again: I shift the bike like the guy in this video at around 2:32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGK76jbaxC4

It's like a do a very quick pull and immediate release. Coordinate that with my foot and everything shifts nice and smooth. Take longer, let the revs drop, try to be gentle with the bike and it'll try to spank you ...
Old 05-18-2014, 04:04 PM   #2184
JetSpeed
Naviator

Oddometer: 3,015
I'm not saying that it's right and you're wrong just that the clunky shift quality of these bikes has been the price of admission for so many years that most riders have become numb to it.
At least the new GSW can be shifted smoothly with just a little technique that comes naturally after a little time in the saddle, some fine products have little idiosyncrasy's that no amount of technique can overcome, the clunky shifter is part of the bikes character and I can't imagine it being a deal breaker for anyone, although I admit that I would prefer the bikes shifted better.
Old 05-18-2014, 04:55 PM   #2185
DMilan
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
I actually don't need to. I only SHIFT like I would if I were riding like this. I think that's what I said a few posts up. Shifting was clunky for me when I got the bike and I was playing around, trying to figure out what the bike likes and what it doesn't like. After a ride along the coast on HW1 where I had lots of fun I noticed that for miles and miles I hadn't heard a single clunk from the transmission ... that got me trying more.

Again: I shift the bike like the guy in this video at around 2:32:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGK76jbaxC4

It's like a do a very quick pull and immediate release. Coordinate that with my foot and everything shifts nice and smooth. Take longer, let the revs drop, try to be gentle with the bike and it'll try to spank you ...

Funny you posted that clip.

I owned a 2005 R1200RT in Piedmont Red.
Of course it had a dry clutch, but the tranny shifted very well... no clunking at all.

Just spoke with a local dealer this weekend to see about buying the 2013 R1200RT Anniversary Model on the floor as an alternative to the clunky LC models. No cruise on it. WHAT.. Forget it..

d'milan
Old 05-18-2014, 09:35 PM   #2186
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Bike: 2013 GSW, about 15K miles. I do all maintenance.

Just mounted a new set of tires, and went out to the local "racer road" to scrub 'em in. About 20 miles into 30-odd miles of twisties a warning came on the dashboard:

CHECK OIL LVL

WTF? As part of my preflight I verified the engine oil level was right up to the top (GSW uses NO oil, at least mine doesn't). So I pulled over as soon as convenient and verified that the oil level was indeed fine.

Anyone else had this happen? ...SNIP...

--Doc
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnj3 View Post
2013 GS with 8300 miles. Did same this morning. No hills. Oil at halfway in site glass. Added oil and no more messages. Haven't burned oil since new nor leaks. Funny to see these posts now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
while riding motorcycle, engine check warning came on. Shut down into limp mode. ...SNIP...

The Check Engine oil warning has come on on two separate occasions a few weeks apart, both after fairly spirited riding on North Carolina twisties (some of the best IMHO). After checking the oil level (half of site glass full) and performing Druidic enchantments, I proceeded on my journey. I haven't had time to discuss with the dealer yet, but will try to get by soon...

As for shifting, After 5K miles, I am finding that preloading the shift lever is a must, still rather annoying. Other than that, I have not adjusted the shift or clutch levers, but likely will after changing the foot pegs and getting new boots.
"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 09:56 AM   #2187
steelerider
Southafricanamerican

Oddometer: 876
I was stopped on a slope once waiting in traffic. Oil light came on. WTF? Pull bike over, verify level is ok, restart, light went away.
steelerider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 05:39 PM   #2188
popscycle
Fahren Away

Oddometer: 1,275
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetSpeed View Post
I'm not saying that it's right and you're wrong just that the clunky shift quality of these bikes has been the price of admission for so many years that most riders have become numb to it.
At least the new GSW can be shifted smoothly with just a little technique that comes naturally after a little time in the saddle, some fine products have little idiosyncrasy's that no amount of technique can overcome, the clunky shifter is part of the bikes character and I can't imagine it being a deal breaker for anyone, although I admit that I would prefer the bikes shifted better.
Mine goes into gear like a hot knife into butter if I just tap the clutch lever rather than squeezing it to the grips. If there's something clunky about this transmission, I've yet to find it. The kid's 13 is the same way.

Goodbye Cruiserface, Hello Happyface!

2014 R1200GS | 2010 MX5 | BMW MOA
popscycle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 04:43 AM   #2189
z7x8c9
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
Mine goes into gear like a hot knife into butter if I just tap the clutch lever rather than squeezing it to the grips. If there's something clunky about this transmission, I've yet to find it. The kid's 13 is the same way.

I can confirm that. I just tried out your tip and it works beautifully. I was previously squeezing to the grip and 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd was clunky (from 3rd up it was smooth). But lightly tapping the clutch smoothed out everything! Even higher gears are smoother. Putting it into 1st still produces a clunk, but that doesn't bother me.
But at least now it doesn't sound like it's grinding something when changing gears.

Thanks!
z7x8c9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #2190
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by popscycle View Post
clutch? who uses that silly things. thats the one on the right, correct?
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote