Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-12-2014, 05:35 PM   #361
PatSmith
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by amendonsa View Post
Dave-

Time for me to lay on the couch for a little bit!

I have been a long time lurker here, but have never really posted to any of the forums. However, I feel compelled to write in and thank you.

I have grown up in NorCal, including Tahoe and Mammoth, and like many of the people who have written in, I have taken the area for granted and never really stopped to truly look around me and enjoy where I am.

I have just recently begun to get into motorcycling, and have less than 500 miles under my belt so far! I came into it way later than I should have. I fear that I spent far too much time listening to other people tell me why I should not do it. So, I still have a tremendous amount to learn and am looking forward to the journey.

There are a couple of things you said that really struck a chord with me that I wanted to share. The first is early in your posts when you talked about the idea of getting better at something. I frequently am accused of throwing myself fully into hobbies and projects, only to find new things that interest me. I have long viewed this as a personality defect, but appreciate the idea that maybe this is just a way to learn and appreciate new things. It can be as much about the process as the product.

Secondly, I started my time with AdvRider with the idea that I had to travel the world, or at least the country, to have adventures and to have lead a full life. Thank you for reminding me that there are plenty of amazing, beautiful experiences to be had much closer to home.

Please keep up the incredible work. It is amazing to me the following that you can create when you are passionate about what you do, whether you intended to create a following or not.

BTW- One final thought. Kirkwood Inn for lunch. Up Highway 88, about halfway between Jackson and the Highway 88/89 split. A perfect place to stop on your way to fall colors in Hope Valley and Blue Lakes. Well worth the trip if you get the time.
+1 for Kirkwood Inn.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:40 PM   #362
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Oddometer: 2,678
Quote:
Originally Posted by amendonsa View Post
Dave-

... I started my time with AdvRider with the idea that I had to travel the world, or at least the country, to have adventures and to have lead a full life. Thank you for reminding me that there are plenty of amazing, beautiful experiences to be had much closer to home.

Thanks for the feedback on what you're getting from this. I always think it's so cool when people get more from this than just looking at some nice pics

You hit the nail on the head with that line, it's taken my whole life until a few years ago to figure it out and I'm glad I've still got plenty of time to do this. In ADV circles it almost seems shameful to "admit" that my dream isn't to ride around the world, if it was I would be doing something about it instead of dreaming. Now there's plenty of places I think would be cool to ride but no longing desire. I think the idea that "living the dream" is isolated to a short vacation or two a year then back to real life is backward. The stuff you love should be a way of life.....whatever that is. That's what I'm doing now.

Yeah, been to Kirkwood Inn quite a few times for eats or just beverages and never went away dissapointed thanks for chiming in!

Desert Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2014, 11:15 PM   #363
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

So a few more shots from last weekends Sierra Pass overnighter.
Little spot I've passed on Tioga Rd so many times without a photo. Friday morning it was in my head that this would be my first stop, wanted to get there before the sun came over the ridge for the best light. Because it was such a cool spot and I was in no hurry, I hung out until the sun crested to see what I could make of it. Glad I did.

The Eastern Sierra/Desert is such a contrast. I see these clouds sometimes, but only when it's really windy. I have a theory that's what a normal cloud looks like if you streamline it in a wind tunnel I could also be full of it.

Leavitt Meadow looking gorgeous for me the first time I've seen it since last fall.

My destination for the weekend was some night photography at high elevation. I wasn't dissapointed. A few examples of the mystical world up there at night. The moon was so bright I swear I could read a book.

On another note....

I suppose I should intoduce my new lady, after all you are going to be seeing lots of photos of her here in this thread. Picked up my new '14 Strom this week. I'll save all the technical talk and evaluation stuff for the strom thread in the forums, but put simply I'm very happy.

Had her on TWO rides so far. First was maybe 40 miles when I picked her up after work. This just shows why this bike fits what I do, here I am with a brand new bike, all excited wanting to focus all of my attention on learning about it and I STILL have the time to enjoy what's going on around me.

Our first sunset together.

Ride #2 had a nice 350 mile day which was 300 miles of twisty. From dry rugged hills to coastal roads, what a variety of riding.

Right at home here

A bit of a glamor shot for those who find such things sexy

Some coastal redwoods. Love the earth tones on this bike. Fit's me and my riding style perfect, just flying under the radar doing my thing.

Why the strom is a great sport tourer, this is my idea of paved

A day at the beach

And what kind of a ride would it be if I didn't get home well after dark?

Ride#2- Sunset #2......I think we're getting along

One thing I'd like to point out, I'm often asked about my photo gear in PMs and this thread (and I love talking that stuff almost as much as bikes) and I mention some shots are with point and shoots. Because I don't really have space on the new strom for my regular gear yet, all of the photos so far have been taken with a pocket camera, my Canon S100. With full manual control and raw capability I still get amazed with the quality of some of these shots.

Old 05-17-2014, 11:34 PM   #364
jfman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 872
Those night shots are incredible.

What kind of camera are you using?

2012 Versys 1000
Tour of the American West 2013
Alaska 2014: Hotel Budget Zero
jfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 05:52 AM   #365
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfman View Post
Those night shots are incredible.

What kind of camera are you using?
Thanks, night photography amazes me . It seems surprising so many riders feel the need to be home before dark

The camera that I used for the nocturnal stuff is a Nikon D5100.

Old 05-18-2014, 11:40 AM   #366
flyingz06
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 292
what is the rear tail bag? who's it made by?
2008 Yamaha WR250
flyingz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 06:36 PM   #367
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
flying: That looks like a motofiz tail bag.

Did you sell the S10?! I like the new bike! I wasn't sure about the khaki color at first but it sure does look good!
The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #368
dman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Dave View Post
Why the strom is a great sport tourer, this is my idea of paved

Highland Road? Really curious how you will like your new DL1K over time ... I was really thinking of a SuperTen to replace my DL650, but the new 1K is more appealing for everything except tougher dirt. Which of course I where the Strom is weak, at least in my less-than-confident hands. Meanwhile I need to ride a few more days to tick over 50K miles on my Wee.

-dman
dman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2014, 10:43 PM   #369
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingz06 View Post
what is the rear tail bag? who's it made by?
Yep GR got it, Motofizz tail bag. This particular one has been on a number of bikes with me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
flying: That looks like a motofiz tail bag.

Did you sell the S10?! I like the new bike! I wasn't sure about the khaki color at first but it sure does look good!
Keeping the S10, but will be selling my '05 Vee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman View Post
Highland Road? Really curious how you will like your new DL1K over time ... I was really thinking of a SuperTen to replace my DL650, but the new 1K is more appealing for everything except tougher dirt. Which of course I where the Strom is weak, at least in my less-than-confident hands. Meanwhile I need to ride a few more days to tick over 50K miles on my Wee.

-dman
Yep, Highland rd, breaking in the motor in your neck of the woods. Everything I can do to avoid open road. 600 miles now and maybe 50 of that freeway

Ask me again in 6 months, but for now the new Vee seems the better all around street bike, the S10 will shine wherever the dirt is more adventurous than hardpack road. The S10 does also have more room, which could make long days in the saddle more comfortable.

Old 06-07-2014, 08:02 AM   #370
homere
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
dl1000

Beautiful pictures !!! WOW, Great stuff, enjoy that 14 dl 1000. I just got one too, 300 miles, its nice, ( a bunch nicer that my 08 dl 650 ,POWER ), Just need some jesse luggage, and a good windscreen, And dial in the forks. Keep taking those pics !!!!
homere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:37 PM   #371
reed valve
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Wow!what a fantastic thread!your photography is amazing.I've been irritating my wife by trying to show her photos of your every few seconds while she reads a book.
Great choice in bikes too,especially the s10.
It seems to me that you have a lot of patience waiting for the right time to shoot but it worth it in the end.found this thread and went through it in an evening and a bit the next morning but i know for sure I'll go back to the beginning and start all over again.a few times too.
Thank you for sharing.
reed valve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:34 AM   #372
Kirt
Biker Dude

Oddometer: 23
I stumbled on your ride report recently, you’ve got some nice pics in there.

Kinda handy living between the ocean and sierras, makes for some nice trips.

Also been looking at your Bonneville, nice looking ride. I’m kinda curious after doing the fuel/exhaust and mapping mods how has the mileage changed. Better, worse, about the same. I know a lot depends on conditions and ring style. Just wondering how far that 4.2 gallons gets you before looking for the petro station.

Keep up the good report.

curt

post anymore pictures of that bike and I might come get it from you…. :)
Kirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 03:57 AM   #373
mattherat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 181
glad i found this

i came here via v strom thread , im a nosey bastard ,

very interesting , i must say . love your stuff ,

whether it be pics or prose.
mattherat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #374
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

If you've been following this thread you already know the riding season is over for me, at least until after labor day. Let all the crazies have the mountains for a couple of months, they need to enjoy it to....I'll be back when they're gone.

Of course I haven't stopped riding, but generally shorter trips to the coast to cool off or doing the full tilt boogie on my new strom behind Mt. Hamilton. And I always have time to hang under the oak trees at The Junction for some killer grub and swap road stories with local riders...after all that is about 90% of my social life right there.

So while I've been getting in some decent miles I've been enjoying the moment from the saddle lately and the camera hasn't come out as much, but of course I can't resist a shot when I see one. So no big stories here but thought I'd update the thread with some random photos.
Probably the last ride I got a bit shutter happy was when I did the passes on my Strom with my friend Brian on his new KTM 1190R. I kept telling him I wanted him to buy it so I could get a REAL test ride, and I did. We swapped machines going over Monitor Pass. What a cool ride.

Fresh off a proper thrashing on Monitor, I was still giggling

A fly by at Mosquito lake

Riding the California High Country

Heck ,I needed a new profile for my Facebook page so why not yours truly in front of Leavitt Falls?

I didn't get the shot of the falls I wanted that day and they are barely running now due to the drought, but expect to see an update to this in about a year.....I've got some ideas

One more shot of my stealthy Strom at a favorite hideout/camping spot

When It gets hot I really enjoy coming home in the evening, Del Puerto Canyon:riding in the Twilight Zone

One of the more memorable people I met at The Junction recently, my new friend Jason who can't decide to ride his bicycle or motorcycle. Here he was riding home from a bicycle race and still had energy for a swift ride up the canyon. What a trick 250, was really fun watching it lean from side to side with the bicycle so high up.

As I mentioned I've been out on the coast a lot recently. I really enjoy riding familiar roads but stopping in a corner I never have before to find a spot to chill for the afternoon. It takes familiar and makes it a new adventure, sometimes hard to explain. People tell me "you've been there 100s of times" Yeah, but it was my first time at that exact spot!

Here's a few of those places.

Not much in the way of off road around here, but it's easy enough to sneak a bike into the bushes without anybody passing having a clue that I'm there. Perfect.

Right around the corner there was a log crossing above this creek which I ate lunch on and it was so darn peaceful I almost fell asleep 20 feet in the air

Love the sunlight in a redwood forest. For all of the kids and their twitter "hashtag-no filter".....this is the real deal. About as natural of a filter as you can get.

Last week my spot was on the beach, I've never seen this kite-surfers in the waves. I could watch that for an hour....and I did, or even longer.

Just so cool watching anybody passionate about what they do, and be good at it.

And I don't want to forget all of the interesting rides right here in the valley.

This next shot was actually taken in Feb right after a storm. If you aren't familiar with California geography you may not understand the significance of this shot, but it was taken in the agricultural town of Patterson. If you don't see it right away, pay attention to the background....where/what is that landmark?

Our sunsets can be pretty insane out here on the Delta as well. This is from an evening ride about ten minutes from my house.

Now I know this is a moto forum, and I don't get to excited about cars, but I saw this after dusk and just HAD to do a u-turn and get a shot.

Desert Dave screwed with this post 07-13-2014 at 09:01 PM
Old 07-13-2014, 06:53 PM   #375
Desert Dave OP
Enjoying the moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by homere View Post
....... Just need some jesse luggage, and a good windscreen, And dial in the forks. Keep taking those pics !!!!
I agree

Done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed valve View Post
Wow!what a fantastic thread!your photography is amazing.I've been irritating my wife by trying to show her photos of your every few seconds while she reads a book.
Wow, I must be truly talented!! I contributed to irritating a woman I don't even know!

Glad you're diggin it man!