Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-05-2013, 12:37 PM   #46
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,630
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptnJim View Post
Really? I'm OK with the fact that you find it more up your alley than the PCX... but that's kinda like saying, "My previous V-Strom beats the PCX: it has more displacement, larger wheels, is faster... oh, and it doesn't have a carb, either" Duh.

"The biggest problem" is "not many have heard of it"??? As a self-described "non-conformist," I would think this would be the BIGGEST DRAW for you!

You didn't buy one, 'cause you haven't put your money where your mouth is. If it is so great, sell that other stuff and buy this PCX beater.

I'm not being mean here. We all make decisions based on our situations, our biases, our desires. I picked the PCX because it does what I need (running lots of miles on the Interstate on two wheels isn't one of my needs these days). It wasn't a speed contest, and I don't mind spending a couple hours getting to the valves to check/adjust them... if that's what it takes. I did the research, made my choice, and bought the scoots. I didn't make my choice because it was a "Zuma beater," or most definitely a "Vino beater" (the first scooter my wife was interested in btw). The PCX has certainly been a good choice for us.

Everything I read about the SYM HD200 was good. The distribution situation with SYM was pretty unsettled when I bought our scoots. Plus, I was looking for the smallest scoot that would do what I wanted... WITH fuel injection and water cooled. (When we ordered our boat 7 years ago, I picked the particular power for that boat because it had fuel injection... I have not had a single fuel injection issue with any vehicle/vessel that has had it... I am particularly fond of the way these PCXes start and run, thanks to the fuel injection.) AND, I wanted a dealer/distribution system that would make parts availability practical.

For the record, I did not pay over the MSRP for these bikes. You suggested this particular dealer, Jerry, and I appreciate that advice. I've since visited with other PCX owners who bought elsewhere and did not pay more than MSRP... and some who did. Do the research, make the decison, act on it - that's my system. I enjoy reading here... I learn stuff all the time (you apparently can teach an old dog something)... sometimes I just get a good laugh. Sometimes I think, "That's cool." Or even, "Nice ride report." I enjoy seeing people enjoying. And, I understand that a person's decision to go a certain way doesn't affect my decision. Nor mine theirs.

An opinion is easy to come by. If it isn't backed up by action... well, it's just another opinion. And, that's my opinion.

Jim

First of all, no offense intended. Nobody here likes my Stella either, but I am perfectly happy with it, problems and all. It is a real machine, made out of real metal, way more fun than any CVT scooter I've ever ridden, easy to work on, great parts availability, great looks, NO valves to adjust. It is anything but refined, which is what I like best about it. It's old tech, and has some rough edges, as a machine should. It's noisy, vibrates, and smokes. I wonder how anyone cannot love all that. It would be better if it were more reliable and still retain all it's other characteristics. The real shame is that is totally possible. And yes, I will most likely get a vintage Vespa at some point.

As for the SYM, I would already own one if it were possible. But resale on bikes around here is terrible, If I sold my two Japanese scooters (and one of them is a like new 2012) I wouldn't get anywhere near enough to buy a new SYM HD200. I can get way more out of them by riding them than selling them. Sometime just after the end of March 2014, things will change. I will definitely be getting a new scooter, very possibly an HD200. If I get something else, it will because I decided I needed more displacement. It would still almost certainly be a SYM or a Kymco. Vespas are great, but out of my price range. Japanese scooters cost more than they are worth. They are no more reliable or of higher quality than Taiwanese scooters. Not only that, but my two "Japanese" scooters were both made in Taiwan.
JerryH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:11 PM   #47
cnw126
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hello All,

So my father just bought a new Sym HD200.

He needs my pickup to get it and we can't pick it up till the Dec. 13th due to my schedule.

Anyway, Really looking forward to checking it out and posting here.
cnw126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 02:14 PM   #48
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,113
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnw126 View Post
Hello All,

So my father just bought a new Sym HD200.

He needs my pickup to get it and we can't pick it up till the Dec. 13th due to my schedule.

Anyway, Really looking forward to checking it out and posting here.
Talk about anticipation exponents!

Haven't ridden the HD200 but my RV250 sure is a kick and the quality of SYM products is excellent.
brianwheelies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #49
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
I have an HD200. It's well built, with a bullet-proof engine. Actually, it's probably the same - or nearly the same - engine that's in the RV250, give or take a few cc's.
Old 06-11-2014, 03:10 AM   #50
saintell
Monarchs #30

Oddometer: 355
My first scoot is an hd 200

I have an HD200 which I came by quite out of the blue,.I was helping a friend who was cleaning an old house previously owned by a hoarder type person who had recently died,in the garage was an HD200 which had obviously been in an accident because all the damaged front plastics were off it,it was offered to me free so I said why not,so I began to try and locate new/ second hand plastics which I was able to get in exactly the same colour,all good so far,I then did a search to find out if the scoot was stolen or anything,wasn't stolen but was listed as a repairable write off,this was unfortunate because it costs $500 to get it passed so it can be registered for another $500,$1000 all up,not good news,anyway I was looking thru the spare parts ads and spied an HD 200 for sale for the same price I was going to pay anyway,so I bought it, kilometers 23000,beaut condition 2008 model and I must say it is a joy to ride,and it is red,another convert and an addition to the fleet,cheers Nev ps I live in Melbourne Australia
Old 06-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #51
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Congratulations; now you've got spare parts. Probably easier to come by those in Australia as it's close to Asia. I live in an Arizona County the size of the states of Connecticut and Rhode Island combined and I've never even seen another SYM.
Old 06-11-2014, 10:58 AM   #52
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 451
Quote:
Originally Posted by blugg1 View Post
Congratulations; now you've got spare parts. Probably easier to come by those in Australia as it's close to Asia. I live in an Arizona County the size of the states of Connecticut and Rhode Island combined and I've never even seen another SYM.
I guess its regional because down here I see a few SYMs a day. If we add in lance I couldn't count. Of course I live in a "scooter" area.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #53
Phipsd
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 390
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
This place http://scooterinvasion.com/ has new 2013s for $3199 OTD. Very tempting, but it's only a 170cc. I don't know what the real world top speed is, it is freeway legal, but just barely. The only interest I have in it is as a freeway ride, I already have 125cc scooters that work fine everywhere else. $3200 sounds cheap for something that could be ridden on the freeway, but not if it is going to get you killed. I do like the short, large diameter wheeled look. And it does have the advantages (to me) of a carbed engine and no ABS. I would love to trade my FI Zuma 125 for it, but I would lose a fortune.
These bikes are not power limited as to top speed, they are rpm limited. 72-73 GPS seems to be ballpark for a stocker. Dr Pulley sliders drop cruising rpm's slightly and should get you 75. That makes an honest 65 mph a comfortable cruising speed. My Citycom isn't much faster despite having 90cc more.
Phipsd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2014, 01:05 PM   #54
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

I have Dr. Pulley's sliders. Usually cruise at 72mph on the highway. I've had it up to 78mph. It has robust acceleration and feels more like 250cc's than 171cc's. I wouldn't be put off by the engine size.

However, as I just acquired a 2013 TU250x I'm going o sell the 2012 SYM HD200 EVO. Don't need two machines that do essentially the same thing.
Old 06-20-2014, 01:02 PM   #55
CMS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdmove View Post
It is a best buy in scootering. My negatives are 1. no kick starter as a backup. 2.It should be quicker and easier to check and add coolant. There is a small window in the plastic where you can see the coolant recovery tank, but it can be tough to see the fluid in it. It's not a big deal, but should be easier to access the filler cap on that tank. The positives far outweigh the negatives. The battery is quite easy to access. I have suggested this great scooter to people with no reservations.

Birdmove , I think the HD200 is possibily the best bike for you on the Island. It really fits in for your current riding style. A few years ago we got married and spent the honeymoon on your Island. We rented a Harley Fatboy and toured the whole place, really enjoyed it. Although the Harley for me, was to big /heavy and overkill for the rides we took. I think the 200 would have been far better for our purpose. I'm thinking of adding a Scoot to my stable, and I do like the Suzuki Burgman 200 thats ava this year. Really don't want a much larger engine than 250 and I want to keep the weight down. I like the looks of the Burg 200, it might be heavier than I would like,but will be doing some two up riding also. Whats your thoughts on the Burgman 200.

Did you see the lastest changes to the DR 200? Some restyle but really the same bike . It needs FI,six speed,disc brakes [all around] and water cooled. maybe next year. CMS
VSRI
CMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:35 AM   #56
Birdmove OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,584
I did see the "new" DR200. At least, I think it still comes with a big gas tank for a 200. Otherwise, it's the same bike with different cosmetics it seems.

The HD200 IS a perfect ride here all right. We have no dealers here for SYM, so, yesterday I ordered a new drive belt, rollers, and plastic index's from Ootey's scooters in California. The HD is at 12,000+ miles now, and I know belt time is coming.

I do want another dual sport, and that will happen soon, I hope. We'll keep the SYM HD200, and the Kymco People 150 though.
Birdmove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 12:52 PM   #57
blugg1
Gnarly Adventurer

Still for sale: $1600 firm. Hello, Jerry?