Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2014, 09:45 AM   #136
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 602
Only thing that sucks is I literally road it home and placed it in the garage and spent no more time with it. Reason is I am starting my vacation later today. I will be back on it the 22nd and hopefully full time.

Spent a bit of time researching PGO scooters. Wow they make a lot of funky stuff but are considered very high quality. Piaggio helped them out back in the day. I guess that is why they use a similar (if not the same) oil filter as the Piaggio products do. The styling also seems a bit different as well compared to many other Asian scooters. Almost a hint of Italian in many of the designs even though the deal wit Piaggio expired 30 years ago.
longhaul747 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:59 AM   #137
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Finely after a week and half on vacation things are slowly returning to normal. Just have to entertain my friend for another half day then its off to the airport.

First thing I will be doing when I get back home is jumping the Hooligan so I can go to work. Its been a painful time waiting for the opportunity to ride!

Kind of a funny and crazy thing happened literally the day I was leaving. My Grom showed up and the owner apparently had a list of potential buyers and no patients. So it was buy it that morning or wait for the next batch. I told them can we do this deal in 3 hours? I did most of the negotiating over the phone and then road my Agility 125 over for trade and sign the paperwork. Since I was on the run I had them deliver it. It showed up about an 2 hours before heading to the airport.

The deal with the Grom was about as expected. They did not want to budge on price and started with exaggerated fees but I quickly terminated that. All I had to mention is "Honda says $125" on its website and it quickly went to that. They also gave generously on my trade. Agility 125's are worth peanuts especially on wholesale but I squeezed $1300 out of them. Out the door for the Grom was $2,800. Before the trade credit it was $4,100.

I have not even touched the Grom yet. Tonight its Hooligan and tomorrow will the Grom.

The day I was signing paper work I asked about an ETA for the 2015 PCX150? It was not on the last order form surprisingly so it now seems a little unlikely it will be showing up in July but sometimes they still can. The owner thought August was a little more likely at this point. I don't really care at this point and the extra month will give me time to break in the Hooligan and the Grom.

The PCX is the last piece of the puzzle and I will hang low for the foreseeable future and focus on other things.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 PM   #138
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,492
Longhaul, have you ever broken in a bike?

Looking forward to the Hooligan report.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #139
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Longhaul, have you ever broken in a bike?

Looking forward to the Hooligan report.
Oh yeah I have broken in plenty. I usually end up keeping a bike around for a long time but I did have a few scooters recently that I parted with. Some of them regretfully.

Anyways road the Hooligan into work. I really like the size of the 170cc engine. Its small enough to be light and nimble but seems large enough to really get around. It does not feel PCX fast (yet) but the engine seems a lot less busy in normal riding. Hills seem to be a non issue with this scooter in normal riding situations so far.

The engine also seems to be loosening up nicely. Compared to how it was on the test ride it seems to be a lot looser now. I expect this improvement to continue for at least the first few hundred miles. It just might beat the PCX once broken in but only time will tell.

Also the stock exhaust sounds incredibly throaty. Really a nice sounding stock exhaust system. Seems a bit loud but it does meet current EPA regulations so they say.

Still breaking in the tires. Before riding it into work I decided to check the tires. According to 2 gauges and the gauge on my air compressor the tires were set at 20 PSI. According to the manual and the tire info on the bike the recommended pressure is 30 PSI. I would really like to know why dealers never seem to put the proper amount of air in the tires? Seems every bike I buy has underinflated tires. I set them for 32 PSI front and rear and will give that a try.

Suspension is a bit firm but I find it very compliant over bumps and road imperfections. Its hard to push it until the tires get more broken in but so far they are much improved from the first ride. Tires are Maxxis and I believe these are a fairly good quality tire.

The speedometer seems a bit off. I passed by one of those trailer radar things on the side of the road. At an indicated 38 MPH it says I was going 31 MPH. It is set on MPH or least the dash says so.

Also have 34 miles on the clock now and the gas gauge has not moved yet. This is fairly scooter typical but its nice to see the dealer at least topped it off. It will probably start to drop at the 40 to 60 mile mark then go fast after that.

Oh the brakes....They are seating in nicely and it stops really well with lots of good feel. I think Genuine spent some money on the brake hardware and maybe the suspension is a step above as well.

I noticed no discomfort with the seat. It actually feels very comfortable and seem to have any pressure points so far.

Tomorrow I will try and get a few pictures. Maybe a few next to the Grom and then a few next to the Burgman 400 for the sense of scale. It larger then a Zuma 125 but its not exactly a huge scooter by any means. Really just a typical 150 - 200cc sized scoot.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:49 PM   #140
quasigentrified
Trumpet Strumpet

Oddometer: 736
if you were riding around lake sammammish, those radar speed indicators read at least 5 mph too low.

'14 Triumph America LT for posin'
quasigentrified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:30 AM   #141
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by quasigentrified View Post
if you were riding around lake sammammish, those radar speed indicators read at least 5 mph too low.
Close it was in Kirkland. It will take some more trial and error to see exactly how much it is off. The dealer said the Genuine's are all off about 5 MPH so they thought the Hooligan would be the same.

Short shift tonight. Just got home and my first ride in the dark. Not really anything new to report. I will add that the headlight(s) is pretty high average and work well but not as well as Honda does on many of its scooters but worlds better then the Piaggio and Kymco scooters I had. The lighting is nice and bright but its throw is relatively short. I think Honda's have about the best headlights in the industry. My PCX, Elite 110 and the SH150i all have a lot of light with a good solid throw. My Elite 110 will light up a whole roadway and throw light a good 300' in front of the scooter.

The instrumentation despite looking a bit low budget during the day looks pretty cool at night. The tachometer has a bright blue streak glow as the tachometer moves around. Overall its pretty easy to read and use but I guess I am getting old. I would prefer the instrumentation to be reversed. The big dial being an analog speedometer and the little digits being a rpm gauge.

Now at 44 miles the fuel gauge has not moved. Just a tad nervous that its not actually full and the gauge is bunk but I think its just being typical scooter is all.

Oh I did notice a bit of cold blooded tendencies I have not noticed before as I pulled out of our parking garage at work. Just a wee bit of hesitation and stutters as I was riding out but after a 1/4 mile down the road it was fine. Its nothing like most carbed scooters would be like and almost a non issue. It is after all air cooled so even with the wonders of fuel injection some chop when cold is to be expected.

One stretch of road in the area is 45 MPH but everyone does 50+ on. The scooter had no problem maintaining 55 MPH indicated but it seemed a bit stiff at that speed. I think it will need a bit more break in before it loosens up and will be comfortable at that speed. Probably won't do any high speed runs until it has at least a few hundred miles on it.
Old 06-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #142
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Great update! Looking forward to pictures. Sounds like you are pretty happy with the overall package. Anything in particular where it has disappointed you? Seems like a neat little scooter.
No so far not really anything I am disappointed with. If I really want to be picky the instrumentation looks a little cut rate but its actually pretty cool. Especially at night. It is kind of hard to read the MPH though because its so small.

Also another nit pick is a question of fluid specs. Really the Hooligan is a conventional scooter and not a lot different then any other CVT based scooter. However they spec a 15W-40 or 15W-50 oil for the engine and they want a 85W-140 in the final drive witch is so thick they don't even sell it in my market because we are always on the colder side of things. Browsing the Modern Buddy website I came to the consensus that any quality 10W-40 will do just fine and unless you live in Arizona the 80W-90 gear oil will work just fine. In fact some of even used the motor oil in the final drive on the Genuine's will good results. I think its more so a question of translation then an actual requirement. The Kymco's are the same way!

Also it list no actual time for a valve adjustment interval. It just says "As Needed". Considering how most smaller scoots need fairly frequent valve inspections and adjustment I think it would be wise to check them at 2,000 miles then maybe 6,000 just to see how they are doing. Its probably not hard thing to do on these.

As soon as I get off my lazy butt I will take a few pics. Not riding the Hooligan again today. Its Grom time and then I need to fill up the Burgman 400 and then swap it for the Forza 300 tonight. I got to many scoots but that is strictly my personal problem..LOL
Old 06-22-2014, 03:57 PM   #143
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Took the Grom out for its inaugural run this morning. It actually impressed me more then I thought it would. In the 0-50 MPH range it gets a long just fine and imagine once broken in it will add 10 MPH to that range. Its also incredibly fun to ride. Dare I say it but its one of the funnest bikes I have ever owned. I have not had that sort of exciting fun since I got the Millennium Falcon Star Wars toy for Christmas back in 1978. The Grom is definitely not an every day bike but taking it out for some Sunday fun on the back roads is a real racket. Horn works pretty good as well. Don't ask me how I found out!

No seat time on the Hooligan today but should be back on it tomorrow.

Did take a few awful last second pictures as I was sorting the garage. One picture is next to the Burgman 400 and the other next to the Grom. The Burgman 400 towers over the Hooligan but the Hooligan towers over the Grom. Does not help much but should show the Hooligan is definitely in the middle size wise. As time goes on I hope to get some pictures out there on the road but I am a bit camera shy and never think to pull out the camera and shoot a pic of the bike.

Old 06-22-2014, 04:04 PM   #144
klaviator
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,815
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post

I have the same lift that you have on the ground in front of the Hooligan. So far i like what you have to say about this scooter. It could be the replacement for my super 8 in a couple of years. Unless of course something better comes out before then. I'm interested in what the top speed will be once you have it broken in.

klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #145
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

I never knew they made a Burgundy Burgman 400. Looks good!
Old 06-22-2014, 05:49 PM   #146
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
I never knew they made a Burgundy Burgman 400. Looks good!
Yeah I picked that up used in mint condition with 2,800 miles on it. Its a 2008 so they offered that color during that year. I think they had another color that year as well.

Quote:
You've traded and bought so many scooters in the past 6 months, can you remind me what all you have currently in your fleet?
I have swapped a lot of bikes over the past 6 months or so.

2003 Suzuki SV1000S
2003 Suzuki SV1000N
2004 Honda Silverwing 600
2004 Honda ST1300
2005 Suzuki V-Strom 1000
2005 Yamaha Majesty 400
2008 Suzuki Burgman 400
2010 Honda Elite 110
2010 Honda SH150i
2011 Honda PCX125
2013 Suzuki GW250
2013 Yamaha Zuma 125
2013 Honda NC700X
2014 Honda CRF250L
2014 Genuine Hooligan 170i
2014 Honda Forza 300
2014 Honda Grom
2014 Suzuki Burgman 200

Next on the cut is the 2011 PCX125 for a 2015 PCX150. Trying to find a way to keep the 2011 PCX125 since its the odd one out and not worth a lot but I really got so many already. Looks like I may have a bit of extra time to think it through.
Old 06-22-2014, 08:15 PM   #147
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Off topic: how do you like the Majesty vs. The Burgman 400?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:36 PM   #148
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Off topic: how do you like the Majesty vs. The Burgman 400?
Both are pretty good scooters. However I give the edge to the Burgman 400. It has a more comfortable seat and more leg room. I think on paper the Majesty has more storage but I find the Burgman 400 has more useful storage.

They feel about the same on the street. In a parking lot I find the Majesty to be a bit easier to ride but its not like the Burgman is more difficult. Handling I give the edge to the Majesty but the Burgman can play as well.

Fuel mileage is close but the Burgman has a slight edge. I have averaged 61 MPG on my Burgman but my average with the Majesty is 57. Kind of odd since the Burgman is heavier and larger.

Both go down the freeway about the same but the Burgman feels a bit more relaxed. However the Majesty 400 may be slightly faster getting to freeway speed. Not really sure if It actually is though.

As for build quality both are Japanese and well built but the fit and finish and quality of materials on the Burgman is better then what I see on the Majesty. Engine details are close but I would not be surprised if the engine in the Majesty is a bit more robust. Probably just in my head though!

Interestingly despite the Burgman looking better it does rattle a bit more on rough pavement then the Majesty does. Its not a lot of difference but something I noticed.

You also get more sophisticated instrumentation on the Burgman then you get on the Majesty. On the Burgman you can get ambient temperature and average MPG readings whereas the Majesty has these details absent. Both look cool though and work well.
Old 06-23-2014, 04:08 AM   #149
AMAC1680
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 599
Being that your taking requests.......

Could you take that brand spanking new scoot and run it thru some dirty, bumpy roads! Now I'm not asking you to "jump" it or do donuts but would like to hear how it does off the pavement.

Again not looking to see if its an MX scooter but it is positioned as a scoot that can take a beating. I have, and there are, plenty of scooters that will go fast but few if any that can handle any kind of dirt.

When I first saw the scoot my idea was the use it in lite off road applications. After my test ride I thought maybe but the stock tires won't get it done.

So please, for me, go beat up that new scoot.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125

AMAC1680 screwed with this post 06-23-2014 at 05:47 AM
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:02 PM   #150
longhaul747 OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMAC1680 View Post
Being that your taking requests.......

Could you take that brand spanking new scoot and run it thru some dirty, bumpy roads! Now I'm not asking you to "jump" it or do donuts but would like to hear how it does off the pavement.

Again not looking to see if its an MX scooter but it is positioned as a scoot that can take a beating. I have, and there are, plenty of scooters that will go fast but few if any that can handle any kind of dirt.

When I first saw the scoot my idea was the use it in lite off road applications. After my test ride I thought maybe but the stock tires won't get it done.

So please, for me, go beat up that new scoot.

Be Big,
AMAC
Probably be a while before I take it off road. Come to think of it I can't think of anyplace locally where I could take it on a gravel road.

Suspension bits seem pretty good quality and I have hit some gnarly pot holes and I don't feel any frame flex. For a scooter it has a bit of a solid built like a tank thing about it. Much like the older Volvo cars.

The street tires would certainly be a limiting factor but I suspect it might do okay on dirt and gravel roads. I think such riding would put some additional stress on the CVT drive components.

Ended up riding the Grom into work literally...LOL

Originally I was going to ride the Hooligan but the Grom is a lot of fun. Reached speeds of 50 MPH and it seems to do just fine. Its a bit slow getting there with the wide ratio 4 speed transmission and some cars get a little impatient but maybe things will improve as it breaks in.

Also on the Grom you have to be extra careful. In the 45 miles I have put on it have had 3 close calls. At least the horn works good ;-/

After getting home I took the Hooligan to the nearest mall for some lunch and I had to pick up a few things. Comparing the Grom to the Hooligan its apparent that the Hooligan has a more relaxed feel and seems to have more reserve power. From a practicality stand point its no comparison. I got a pair of jeans and new shoes under the seat. I guess to be fair its an apples to oranges comparison!

Hooligan is continuing to loosen up nicely. Still notice a bit of cold blooded tendencies when cold but its still nothing like many carbed scoots. It fires up on first hit of the start button always.

Gas gauge moved off full at 46.5 miles. Seems about right for a scooter gas gauge. I expect it to drop pretty fast and then settle with 2 bars remaining for a while.

At the mall...gotta love the convenient front parking for bikes and scoots. Beats parking a mile away!