Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2014, 03:49 PM   #166
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
Since it originates from a non-English speaking country it is most likely a misprint.

That's not the case: It's a multi-lingual document and all the pages (English, Italian, French, German, and Spanish) all state the same cargo capacity: 3kg.

I realize that it's the typical over-conservative weight rating since they know users will actually put in 2-4 times the stated maximum but 3kg, really? The 36l topcase is big enough to hold at least one full-face helmet. How much does a full-face helmet weigh?

Anyways, it's no big deal...I'm not losing sleep over it. Just something that stood out as I was reading through the document.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-23-2014, 06:02 PM   #167
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,153
That's the same load rating for my BV250. I am not sure what the attachment on the BV350 looks like, maybe it is the same as mine or maybe that is a cover all liability limit they don't want to go past. I have a top box and put about 10kg in it all the time, with no ill effects. However, someone tried to steal the scooter and while attempting to be quiet about it they leaned the bike on its side stand (slightly bending it) and lowered it to the ground - apparently by holding onto the right side top box attachment rail and snapping it off from its side mount. That had to be about 80kg of weight on that handle. By the way, the whole top box attachment assembly is $140 and, to schuss the Piaggio parts naysayers, I got it in less than a week.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #168
Gerg
Cupcake

Oddometer: 8,230
I took off the bolster and had to put it back on. I'm tall and sit far back in the saddle. Taking off the bolster puts my tailbone on a non-padded portion of the saddle. NOT very comfortable.

YMMV

Gerg

BOOF 160, AMA, RA, MOA, HOG
Live life like you stole it!
Your $5 off SMUGMUG Coupon is
hESgLtqESqM1Q

Gerg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 05:08 AM   #169
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalegado View Post
Had a chance to bomb around town after work on surface streets. The BV has some real get-up-and-go. Going from my Zuma 125 to the BV is a quantum leap in performance. It's like I'm on a motorcycle in terms of performance but with the convenience of operation of a scooter.

I held myself in check since I'm still breaking in the engine and scrubbing in the tires but there's some flick-ability in the chassis that belies its size.

I'm picking up a lot of wind noise off of the windshield. Still have to determine how to address this—posture, helmet, or, possibly, some kind of spoiler attachment for the windshield, etc. Also need to research mounting solutions for my iPhone. I see a lot of moderate distance, weekend travel possibilities with the BV like out to Death Valley or even Zion National Park (I live in Las Vegas).
The BV is a fantastic tourer.... My wife and I love ours's for that.

Re noise: A windshield-ectomy is what I did, no regrets 6000 miles later either.
Old 06-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #170
tclhb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
You can also look into a Laminar Lip. That's what I added to mine. I'm 6"1, and the stock windshield has a lot of wind buffeting at the helmet. You could also just replace the windscreen with a Givi.
I just recently took a four day trip from Orange County CA to Monterey, then onto San Francisco. The BV350 performed really well. It was really fun going up and down all those steep streets in SF. They didn't seem to slow the scooter down at all.
tclhb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #171
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
test drive ...i DID!

well today I went to my local vespa/piaggio/kymko dealer up in San Diego. I was only looking for a GT300 test drive, it is difficult to find somebody to give you test drives around here, and not having a local state licenses makes it worse, but the guys there said "does is say Motorcycle license?" YES IT DOES!!

So I went over and started getting the helmet on and the guy said, would you like to drive something else? So a BV350 was there, and I pointed and he said "ok I will have it ready for when you come". OK no Vespa review here but since I had only driven 1 100 cc scooter (my honda beat). So the Piaggio was nice! very nice, it does feel like I am setting in the scooter, it had a horrible windshield that I was lokking thru and not over, that was new for me, and I did not like it since it created turbulence on my back.. the scooter had a top case so does two got together and form turbulence (very little) on my back.

Handling was great, power was not as good as the vespa 300, but it was more stable. Brakes were good, not better than the GT but much better than my KLR or the other bikes I had (tw, tornado and Beat). So all where good.
I was impress at how tall you sit, I could not flat footer with my 30 in. inseam, but no problem because it is very light, maybe 2 up it will be different?

Acceleration was smooth and good, I only got it up to like 70-75 and it still had power and claiming.

All in all I like it very much
Old 06-05-2014, 07:54 PM   #172
gogogordy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,866
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post
well today I went to my local vespa/piaggio/kymko dealer up in San Diego. I was only looking for a GT300 test drive, it is difficult to find somebody to give you test drives around here, and not having a local state licenses makes it worse, but the guys there said "does is say Motorcycle license?" YES IT DOES!!

So I went over and started getting the helmet on and the guy said, would you like to drive something else? So a BV350 was there, and I pointed and he said "ok I will have it ready for when you come". OK no Vespa review here but since I had only driven 1 100 cc scooter (my honda beat). So the Piaggio was nice! very nice, it does feel like I am setting in the scooter, it had a horrible windshield that I was lokking thru and not over, that was new for me, and I did not like it since it created turbulence on my back.. the scooter had a top case so does two got together and form turbulence (very little) on my back.

Handling was great, power was not as good as the vespa 300, but it was more stable. Brakes were good, not better than the GT but much better than my KLR or the other bikes I had (tw, tornado and Beat). So all where good.
I was impress at how tall you sit, I could not flat footer with my 30 in. inseam, but no problem because it is very light, maybe 2 up it will be different?

Acceleration was smooth and good, I only got it up to like 70-75 and it still had power and claiming.

The windshield comes off and then it's nearly perfect scooter. At least for me.

I too have a 30" (If I was an engine Id be referrred to as "oversquare" with a bore larger than my stroke) and I also own a Vespa GTS which is actually a bit taller!

I really love my BV-350 and my wife loves hers.
Old 06-06-2014, 05:54 AM   #173
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by damasovi View Post

Power not as good as the Vespa 300??? The BV 350 has something like 50% more power. Any chance you were riding a BV 250 and not a 350?

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2014, 06:20 AM   #174
quasigentrified OP
Cityfolk

Oddometer: 639
yeah, i was gonna say WHAAAT to that observation myself. i've put over 4k miles on a bv350 and i own a gts300, and the gts300 doesn't pull even half as hard as the bv350 did. there's over 10 hp difference!
Old 06-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #175
damasovi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Power not as good as the Vespa 300??? The BV 350 has something like 50% more power. Any chance you were riding a BV 250 and not a 350?
sorry for the mistake, what I felt was not power, but 0-20 mph much more evident on the gt, but from there on the power was better on the 350. maybe it just feels slower since it is smoother, does it make scene now? and yes I was on a 350, and the extra power is evident the faster you go. LAst, the 350 had a huge windshield that did not let me feel the wind, this also made it feel lest fast the 300 had no windshield and you had all the wind blast on you.

Sorry for the confusion.

Damasovi
Old 06-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #176
rptpa
n00b

Oddometer: 3
New to the forum

Hi !
Just bought a new 2013 BV 350. Still in the 600 mile break-in period, and haven't had it maxed out yet. Two up riding the other night, 30 miles up the Keys from Key West. I forgot I was on a 350 scooter. I love it.
Pictures to follow, but mine is Silver and wine.
'13 BV 350
rptpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2014, 12:05 AM   #177
aalegado
Team Gear Whore

Oddometer: 385
Quote:
Originally Posted by rptpa View Post
Hi !
Just bought a new 2013 BV 350. Still in the 600 mile break-in period, and haven't had it maxed out yet. Two up riding the other night, 30 miles up the Keys from Key West. I forgot I was on a 350 scooter. I love it.
Pictures to follow, but mine is Silver and wine.
Congratulations!

I pegged the throttle on mine within 10 minutes of leaving the lot for the first time. Oops! I'm halfway through my second tanks of gas...just under 300mi. Still haven't gotten a speeding ticket but I'm sure I'll have one before the Summer's over!

aalegado screwed with this post 06-08-2014 at 12:12 AM
aalegado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:24 AM   #178
JoshM
PCX150

Oddometer: 48
PCX will be paid off by the end of summer... then I'll start payments on a BV350

Got quoted $6500 OTD for it by a local dealer (9.25% tax in TN). A bit steep, but hopefully that's just their starting point. I'll get other quotes prior to purchase.
JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:49 AM   #179
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,077
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshM View Post
PCX will be paid off by the end of summer... then I'll start payments on a BV350

Got quoted $6500 OTD for it by a local dealer (9.25% tax in TN). A bit steep, but hopefully that's just their starting point. I'll get other quotes prior to purchase.
You might want to check with Vespa Marietta- they have 2013 BV350s for $5199: http://www.mariettasportscar.com/cus.../?make=PIAGGIO

Might be worth the drive, or you may be able to use that as negotiation tactic with your local dealer. 2014's are $5,899.

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2014, 08:59 AM   #180
JoshM
PCX150

Oddometer: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
You might want to check with Vespa Marietta- they have 2013 BV350s for $5199: http://www.mariettasportscar.com/cus.../?make=PIAGGIO

Might be worth the drive, or you may be able to use that as negotiation tactic with your local dealer. 2014's are $5,899.
Thank you, sir! I certainly will look into them or use it as negotiations... that's if they still have the offer haha.

That should at least get the OTD under $6000 through negotiations here I'd imagine. If not, my gma lives in Duluth so it'd give me an excuse to go see her and have her complain about me on a bike.
JoshM is offline   Reply With Quote