IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 02:36 AM   #92
SAM7
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesurvivalist View Post
I currently have a buell ulysses that gets around 45 mpg on premium gas. I've been thinking hard about purchasing a 2015 Honda PCX with the intention of saving gas. I intend to keep the Buell but use the pcx for my daily commute.

It would also be a good way to get my wife into riding too on the weekends. I rode a pcx 150 and it was a pleasant ride, I really liked the scooter.

I dont know if its worth spending 4k otd though.

What do you think?
I'm in a same situation as you!!! I've a VFR750 Interceptor thats returning almost the same mpg as your Buell! What a coincidence...! Anyhow, after much MUCH thinking, I've ruled out the scooters. Why? I just doesn't feel comfortable with a CVT. There're times when you need a sudden burst of acceleration and CVT scooters simply can't do that. Secondly, the few small scooters I've rode (a 50cc and a 125cc) have that 'LAG' when you roll the throttle from a stand still... They tend to rev up to certain rpms before moving. Big scooters might provide the oomph and won't have the lag due to more torque, but I'm talking about small sub 150cc scooters. Storage space, high mpg, wind/weather protection are of course tempting features of a scooter but I'm the type of guy who begs for some fun too along with practicality... So I'm steering away from scooters unless I find something with a manual shifter... Now, I'm looking forward at a Super Motard!!! Yes, they're uncomfortable, no storage, zero wind protection and poor mpg along with small fuel tank but boy are they FUN...! They're WICKED FUN! Besides, I've a VFR on stand by just in case of a long trip! Yamaha WR125X is on my list. You should consider one too if thats available across the pond... If not, maybe a Suzuki DRZ400SM??? Just a thought. Anyhow, Good Luck.
SAM7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 05:30 PM   #93
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAM7 View Post
I'm in a same situation as you!!! I've a VFR750 Interceptor thats returning almost the same mpg as your Buell! What a coincidence...! Anyhow, after much MUCH thinking, I've ruled out the scooters. Why? I just doesn't feel comfortable with a CVT. There're times when you need a sudden burst of acceleration and CVT scooters simply can't do that. Secondly, the few small scooters I've rode (a 50cc and a 125cc) have that 'LAG' when you roll the throttle from a stand still... They tend to rev up to certain rpms before moving. .
Hmm, ET 2 50cc is one of the torquiest little scooters I've ever ridden. Damned thing really wanted to pop a wheelie every time I took off if I wasn't careful.

Many good quality small scoots do take off quickly and often if they don't simply changing the rollers will resolve any "lag". Our 125cc Buddy has no lag either and I've had fun with guys riding Harleys and Hondas at stop lights with my GTS. But if fast sports bikes are you thing then anything else will seem slow assuming you are good with the clutch/throttle on your sport bike.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:13 AM   #94
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 12,376
Quote:
Storage space, high mpg, wind/weather protection are of course tempting features of a scooter but I'm the type of guy who begs for some fun too along with practicality.
You're thinking about it wrong. The scooter doesn't replace your bike. It replaces your car. All those little trips you used to do in the car you now do on the scooter. It's fun. It's easy. It saves money. And you can ride like a jackass and park in the bike rack. Essentially, win-win-win-win-WIN!

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:24 AM   #95
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 911
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
...ride like a jackass and park in the bike rack...
Hey, have you been watching me?
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:05 AM   #96
FizzyRascal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Secondly, the few small scooters I've rode (a 50cc and a 125cc) have that 'LAG' when you roll the throttle from a stand still... They tend to rev up to certain rpms before moving.
I'm not sure what small scooters you've ridden - but there's no 'lag' on my PCX or 946 - just point, squirt and off we go!
FizzyRascal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:26 AM   #97
LordSmoke
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 276
Love my 250 Helix. 70mpg, 70mph. I wear 3-piece suits and nice dress shoes to work. Weather protection and automatic are much appreciated. Big advantage in parking, too. Only use my SUV for lumber, bulk products, and take out involving more than one drink. Mine was a gift from my dad - he had accumulated three, but I would definitely purchase a replacement if necessary.

I would't try to "get" your wife or anyone into riding unless that is what they really wanted. In fact, I tend to discourage it. Noobs on bikes/scoots make me very nervous, but we were all noobs once.
2014 BMW R1200GSW
LordSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:37 AM   #98
AMAC1680
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Moore View Post
You're thinking about it wrong. The scooter doesn't replace your bike. It replaces your car. All those little trips you used to do in the car you now do on the scooter. It's fun. It's easy. It saves money. And you can ride like a jackass and park in the bike rack. Essentially, win-win-win-win-WIN!
He's got it right considering he looks at this thru 23 year old eyes. Yeah I had to "shift it" myself when I was 20 something too.

Be Big,
AMAC
SYM RV200 EVO
Lance "Cali Classic" 125
AMAC1680 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 07:12 AM   #99
DinerRider
Commuter

Oddometer: 1
What a great feeling when you read a thread and discover you're not alone. I'm one of those who started his journey on a motorcycle and then got hooked on scooters. I lived in Sydney for four years and scooters were everywhere, and so exposure to those social norms helped. Then after riding one I got to experience firsthand the joys of both a CVT transmission and an effortless ride. Not a day goes by now when I'm not amazed that my unassuming little 150cc scooter can take me to speed in an instant with very little required of me. It is that feeling of freedom that many of us seem to resonate with.

Currently considering selling my Triumph and I definitely did not see that coming! My hope is that my wife will take the MSF riding safety class and join me in my scooter adventures.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:18 AM   #100
Kamzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
I would definitely go for it. I commuted on motorcycle for years, and was happy. Then one year, a buddy offered to sell me his Zuma for $300 bucks, and I figured what the hell, why not? The commute changed and got even cheaper. More importantly, the local roads were a lot of fun, and blasting it at full throttle put a grin on my face each day. I ended up selling the Zuma for around the same price about two years later, and now I'm on my second scooter, a Honda Elite.

I prefer to buy used when it comes to vehicles, because they take a huge hit once they're driven off the lot. I was patient and scoured scooterfinder and craigslist ads until I found the Elite I was looking for. Rather than spending ~$3000 for a new one, I bought a used one, with both available accessories, for $2K. It had a whopping 103 miles on it, and was in brand new shape. If you don't mind being a bit patient, I would recommend looking used. Scooters are a funny thing - a lot are bought by older folks who then decide that they don't want to ride it, or by younger folks who get made fun of by their friends and do the same. Then you can get a practically new scoot for a lot less money. All it takes is a little patience. And look at the costs to ride - I've put over 1800 miles on my Elite, spending about $80 on gas. Practically, you won't get a better vehicle - it's easy to park, gives excellent weather protection, and is cheap to run. Go for it!
Kamzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:11 AM   #101
manofwheels
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Scooters are fun and very easy to ride. You can carry a big heavy new york lock in the trunk and chain your rear wheel to a pole. You can hook groceries on the plastic bag tab. You're relaxed and not being scared of a car turning in front of you because you're not going 80 mph down the road. Seriously, cars make left turns in front of other cars. That's just the way of life. I've been riding over 2 1/2 years on scooters and never felt my life was in danger of vehicles.
manofwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 11:59 AM   #102
chazbird
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,074
I'm late to this thread.
I have been exclusively on scooters for the past 3 years. Speaking of non-tour bikes or serious ADV bikes they have superiority utility over a motorcycle, superior ease of use, easier to ride, usually smoother, probably cheaper to operate - and this includes up to mid size maxi scoots, 250-400cc. I think 250cc is "just enough" for everything for me (mine is a BV250, but lust after a BV350).

A scooter is always fun, a motorcycle is often just fun when you're pressing it a bit, and in reality, how often do people actually do that, or are in the appropriate circumstances to do so? (Its also a ticket generating and safety factor). When you are not using its upper level performance potential a motorcycle often times is a bit of a burden to ride.

Scooter = 90% fun, ease of use. 10% = lacking.
Motorcycle = 60% fun, 40% = lacking (for most conditions).

Also, scooters seem, to me, to be completely ego free, too.
chazbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 01:41 PM   #103
honda
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Go Honda 125 or bigger scooter

You'll be happiest aboard a Japanese scooter. Go backward and find an '84 or '85 vintage 4 stroke Honda Elite 125 or 150. They're liquid cooled, SIMPLE, sturdy and will last forever with regular maintenance. They'll be faster and more reliable than Chinese 49cc scoots. You won't go wrong.

BTW I've owned 24 motorcycles from 1500cc Goldwing to Whizzer motorbike and I like riding 125 or 150 Honda better than ANY motorcycle. Life is short. Get a Honda scooter not less than 125 cc in order to keep up with traffic. You'll not only enjoy it more but your resale price will be very good too.

Jerry
honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 09:09 AM   #104
alphaBETAdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by chazbird View Post
Also, scooters seem, to me, to be completely ego free, too.
This is yet another endearing quality of scooters. The attitudes that the general public has toward you as a scooter rider is much more positive than on a motorcycle. Whereas in a parking lot, overprotective super mommies will guide their kids away from you on a motorcycle. But they will actually smile and make positive comments as their children are drawn to your scooter.

I park my scooter all the time up near the front of stores near the bicycle racks without incident, but if I tried that on a motorcycle I know I would get nasty sneers and comments.
alphaBETAdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #105
novaboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 499
I have an '06 Vstrom 1000, and an Aprilla SR50, I find I use the scooter more now than ever, especially when running around town.

I am seriously considering selling the strom and the SR50 and getting a Vespa GTV 300IE. I can still do some touring on that scoot, maybe even get a sidecar for it.

I had a 1984 Honda Elite 125 when I was a kid and loved it, maybe it's time to move back to scooters full time, especially if it scores babes like this:loll

https://www.youtube.com/user/fundypaddlesurf/videos
novaboy is offline   Reply With Quote