Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
professorkx OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 207
How many folks routinely ride two-up on dual sport rides.

My wife is on the back of my Tiger 800xc every time it leaves the shop for anything other than the ride to work, but we rarely notice others who are riding passengers, especially in the rough terrain. Sandy has gotten off and walked a couple of hero sections, but normally just closes her eyes and holds on. Example:

We are leaving on a multiday dual sport camping trip Friday, and because we don't know of others (except my two sons and their ladies) who take their spouse, we take these trips solo.

We also have a couple of Harleys, and it's common to see passengers, and we ride with other couples on road trips. While solo isn't a problem, just curious, are we the exception in the dual sporting world? Not talking about the occasional trip with your significant other, but rather 90%+...
Old 06-19-2014, 11:01 AM   #2
Mikef5000
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,030
I've started taking my girlfriend on adventure rides on my 990. I'm very impressed with what it can pull off. My limiting factor is that she doesn't have near as much gear as me, so I avoid anything I perceive as a large risk. Lucky, my perception of risk is different from many others.

I'd love to do some of the Trans-Eastern Trail or the Kentucky Adventure Loop with her, I'd just want to motel it, to avoid the extra weight of camping gear.

My media contribution:

(click for video) It was about 30" deep, and I was quite worried with my open intake.
Mikef5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:23 AM   #3
mrphotoman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,028
I do all the time, it is not a big deal.

We got some stunned looks passing people on the burning rock motocross trail system lol.

I take her through water crossings up to the handlebars, single track, etc. We are not "American size" people though, I am 6' 180lbs and she is 4'10" 95lbs so the two of us combined weigh less than a lot of "full size" people around here lol.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:42 AM   #4
Dubl-A
CHATA FUKUP!

Oddometer: 1,579
I usually don't punish my wife with offroad riding but she loves going everywhere else on the XC

NEW Scorpion Passport XL suit for sale
Dubl-A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 03:17 PM   #5
racer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,523
Darz rode the 2 day Trans Florida rally with his wife on the back of a DR650. He had no problems in the sand. You're a hell of a rider Darz!
Old 06-19-2014, 03:31 PM   #6
GoGoGavin41
Isn't this that guy?

Oddometer: 750
This is my wife and I a few months ago

We've since gotten bolder / faster, although it normally ends up being pretty rough on her.

Then there's this couple. You might have seen a few of their ride reports. Very impressive 2up riding, I'd love to ride with them sometime. I think the fact that the pilot looks like an Icelandic giant doesn't hurt
GoGoGavin41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 05:45 PM   #7
Blixa
Derelicte

Oddometer: 713
I'm a n00b, how does this work? Do both of you stand when the going gets tough? Does one stand and the other gets a faceful of butt? One inquiring mind would like to know.

Edit - curiosity got the best of me. Sounds like both should stand, but it seems from what I've read that many don't (either only the main rider stands or both sit) due to lack of coordination together or comfort. However it's done, off-road/pavement 2-up doesn't seem easy and those who ride pillion are most likely very brave!

Blixa screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 06:37 PM
Blixa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 08:32 PM   #8
paul56
Usually gruntled

Oddometer: 123
Check out the Wans (Big and Little). Hardest core riding couple I've ever heard of. Terrific story tellers too.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/member.php?u=137662
paul56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
Switchblade315
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,005
My youngest daughter rides most everywhere with me. the trick to it is a good pillion rider. Someone that listens good when you say this is going to be ruff, learns to move with you and not away from you. I have even had her standing on the pegs taking pictures over my head before on some really slick roads. spend enough time on a bike together and you learn how to trust each others movement. I wouldn't try a lot of things with other people that I have with her. Being good at two up takes time riding two up with the same person.

"My mind jumped off the high dive into the deep end of the gutter and took scuba gear with it" Me.
Switchblade315 is offline   Reply With Quote