Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 06:20 PM   #31
DR Steve
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by eakins View Post
everyone has gotten better mirrors, madstad bracket, givi/madstad screen and maybe a top wind deflector AND then spent time adjusting the angle and height has reported it fixed the problem. not sure why you are coming up short??? maybe it's your helmet too?
Apart from the mirrors, already done all of that. Owner has tried 3 different helmets. Results seem to be the same with 3 different riders. Hopefully the mirrors are the missing piece of the puzzle !

I want him to find the fix - then I'll get a Wee myself and fit all the fixes.
Old 06-20-2014, 07:38 PM   #32
bleedgrn
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Reading these types of threads makes me think the V-Strom is the only bike that suffers from buffeting. Being 5'8" 29 inseam the Tuono mirrors, Madstad bracket and windshield fixed "my" buffeting issues and made the cockpit much quieter. A friend rides the DL adventure with the MRA vario and I find the cockpit very quiet with little buffeting. There is a guy on Stromtroopers who is selling little deflectors that mount to the side of the front fairing for the "picky eater". I have ridden a lot of bikes and short of a touring bike, most have some buffeting. Hope those who need help with this issue find it.

L2 Glee - Birthday 17 Jan 13

Farkeling in progress.
bleedgrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:40 PM   #33
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Those deflectors seem to be the missing link for a lot of people. I'll either make some or buy from one of the people who sell them.
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:45 PM   #34
orestis
Time flies when riding

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by MariusD View Post
Those deflectors seem to be the missing link for a lot of people. I'll either make some or buy from one of the people who sell them.
A link of those deflectors please?
orestis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:22 AM   #35
Bultaco206
Back-to-back motos suck

Oddometer: 1,968
I tried every windscreen known to man. Finally found what worked for me was a short Zero Gravity sport screen on a Madstad bracket. The final piece of fine-tuning came with Aprilia mirrors.

I'm a little different. I started my baseline testing by taking the stock screen completely off, which is fabulous by the way, but offers no real protection. Smooth air everywhere. Then knowing I wanted protection, started from there with my adjustments and settled on what worked best for me. Outside of occasional dirty air from minivans and SUVs in the right conditions, I'm pleased with my setup.

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking a bigger windscreen is better, when in all actuality less is more on these bikes.
Old 06-21-2014, 05:23 AM   #36
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
They are Vortex Generators. You can make them yourself, or buy them on fleabay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/111233447558...84.m1423.l2649

If you put your hand down on that "corner" of the tank on each side you will feel a very strong current of air at speed coming over and into your chest. The right side is stronger than the left side current(at lest on my bike). The VG's placed on the tank ahead of this current will break it up which will help create more of a void of air current.

I am waiting for my "tall" custom Fisher seat to arrive before I even look at buffeting. I am ditching the stock mirrors for Emgo's anyway, but right now with Madstad & 22" Givi.....some buffeting at 70+ and it all comes up from my knees. To be honest, it's not that big of a deal to me unless it gets worse.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:17 PM   #37
Pecha72
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,559
" I'm a little different. I started my baseline testing by taking the stock screen completely off, which is fabulous by the way, but offers no real protection. Smooth air everywhere. Then knowing I wanted protection, started from there with my adjustments and settled on what worked best for me "

spot on.

building a bigger "wall" ahead of you, often just ends up creating more turbulence.

I've actually seen a Wee with TWO windshield, the upper one fastened to the lower by duct tape....
Old 06-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #38
AZstrommer
Long may she wave!

Oddometer: 961
I have an 04 Wee. After moving the screen up, down and damn near sideways, I settled on 3/4" spacers to kick the bottom mounts out farther and the screen as high as it would go. I spent $5.00 on a 4"x 8" chunk of lexan and two spring clamps to hold it in place. I centered it on the top of the screen and all my turbulence troubles went away. It looks ghetto but it has been on there five years and 30,000 miles now. I'm 5'10 and wear an Arai XD.

AZ

We can't negate who we are, who we were, what we've done. Who we've loved, who we've hurt. Part of our human fabric. Who are are. I am the sum of all I have done before. I am imperfect, I am flawed. I am, however, aware of that. I desire happiness, I long for joy, always knowing the price, the balance. - Sabre
AZstrommer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #39
MariusD
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by orestis View Post
A link of those deflectors please?
This is where a lot of discussion goes on about making them:
http://www.stromtrooper.com/dl650a-2...eflectors.html

Here u can buy ones that are already made:

http://www.stromtrooper.com/group-bu...-sale-now.html
MariusD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:49 AM   #40
NDTransplant
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Buffeting can be a frustrating, time-consuming, expensive, trial & error endeavor...or trying to eliminate it, I should say.

Lots of guys are happy with the MadStad, and I think he has a money-back guarantee as well...
NDTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 04:40 PM   #41
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDTransplant View Post
Buffeting can be a frustrating, time-consuming, expensive, trial & error endeavor...or trying to eliminate it, I should say.

Lots of guys are happy with the MadStad, and I think he has a money-back guarantee as well...
I wasn't crazy about the madstad on my 04, it helped but it didn't solve the problem.
I needed to get the top of the screen to lean back more. When this was brought up with the Madstad guy
he got defensive and claimed that there was plenty of adjustment in his design.

The current model bracket doesn't fit the stock screen so you have to buy a new screen, in addition to the bracket.

He does sell a set with his screen and the madstad bracket for the same price that you can get some of the leading aftermarket screens.

Also there is a possible issue if you go over the handlebars with a madstad on there's a chance that your body could come in contact with it.

All that said, if he would have had it set up to take a stock suzuki 2nd-generation Dl650 screen and had built more adjustment range into the bracket I would have got that over the Givi screen I got.
Old 06-23-2014, 05:17 PM   #42
mrbreeze
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,194
I have the madstad bracket with their "sport" windshield. There is a lot of adjustability. I had the Givi Airflow on my '12 model. It's a really good screen, but it doesn't have the adjustability of the madstad. Price between the two is close, but the Madstad and Sport screen was less $$$ than the Givi.

I also have the Augustus deflectors on my bike. I think it all works pretty well - but - I just added an Airhawk R, which has me sitting a little higher. I haven't had a chance to ride the bike since I added the Airhawk.

Travels with Maw Maw
mrbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM   #43
squish
Out of the office.

Oddometer: 6,002
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbreeze View Post
I have the madstad bracket with their "sport" windshield. There is a lot of adjustability. I had the Givi Airflow on my '12 model. It's a really good screen, but it doesn't have the adjustability of the madstad. Price between the two is close, but the Madstad and Sport screen was less $$$ than the Givi..
Yup there is more adjust ability on the madstad vs the Givi.
There was only a $20 price increase for the Givi vs the Madstad and screen when I got my Givi.

I found with the Madstad on my 04 that once I made some tweaks to it and I found the sweet spot for me.
That I never, or rarely adjusted it away from that. I mentioned this before but the big problem for me on my 04
was that the screen, even with the madstad was still too vertical, I ending up kicking the bottom of the madstad out by 3/4 of an inch. This allows more air in behind the screen and smooths airflow.

But when it comes to adjustment
The same thing has happened on the Givi, I played around with it and once I found the sweet spot. I just stays there.
Old 06-24-2014, 11:52 AM   #44
Graftyman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I found that it was all about the mirrors.

I did the madstad bracket and a different screen but the buffetting felt side to side. I added mirror extenders and the head wrapping stopped..

Some have found different mirrors, but it's going to depend on your seating position and height what really works for you. The first few long trips was miserable. Doing the Translab and then slog across Nova Scotia and Maine on the way back left me wondering about the bike.

Since doing up my bike for Deadhorse with the mirror extenders, I have no problem at all on a long highway slog. I got mine from Richland Ricks, who is now Adventuretech.

YMMV.
Graftyman is offline   Reply With Quote