Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 01:49 PM   #481
blax1
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
Thank you very much for posting Bernard, it's much appreciated.
When I cleaned and resealed the fuel tank using this product http://ppcco.com.au/kits3.htm
the same company also sells and recommends this fuel additive
http://ppcco.com.au/eastwood10.html
I shall purchase some fuel additive this week and try your recommendation, but I,m concerned about running the engine and possibly causing more damage!
As stated before there doesn't appear to be any metallic sounds coming from the motor so it shouldn't do any harm and definitely worth a try before I do remove the engine.
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted as this unfolds.
Regards Ralph
blax1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:18 PM   #482
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,186
Quote:
Originally Posted by blax1 View Post
Thank you very much for posting Bernard, it's much appreciated.
When I cleaned and resealed the fuel tank using this product http://ppcco.com.au/kits3.htm
the same company also sells and recommends this fuel additive
http://ppcco.com.au/eastwood10.html
I shall purchase some fuel additive this week and try your recommendation, but I,m concerned about running the engine and possibly causing more damage!
As stated before there doesn't appear to be any metallic sounds coming from the motor so it shouldn't do any harm and definitely worth a try before I do remove the engine.
Thanks again, I'll keep you posted as this unfolds.
Regards Ralph

U are welcome, keep us posted. Remember... my bike was on 'hold' for over 2 years, allowing the 'modern, high efficient today's fuel' to 'gum' and form residence (gom). The bike acted time on time if it had lac of fuel. In my case, Fuelguard from KENT solved the problem completely. But as mentioned by you, in my case there was no 'mechanical' noise coming from the engine.

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Two Plugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:26 PM   #483
blax1
Adventurer

Thanks
My bike was running fine and I had ridden her for 9k's over a couple of weeks before this happened, it just seems strange the a valve could gum up after that period of time and frequent starting each morning
Bernard is it possible to remove the front rocker cover without removing the motor?
Old 06-21-2014, 03:05 PM   #484
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blax1 View Post
Thanks
My bike was running fine and I had ridden her for 9k's over a couple of weeks before this happened, it just seems strange the a valve could gum up after that period of time and frequent starting each morning
Bernard is it possible to remove the front rocker cover without removing the motor?
Sorry, my 'technical English' is not good enough to specify 'front rocker cover'... *blush*

22-25 May 2015: 17th Varadero & 4rd Crosstourer International Meeting, Milau, France!
Old 06-21-2014, 04:43 PM   #485
blax1
Adventurer

No need for *blush* :-) Front cylinder, hydraulic tappet, rocker cover on top of the motor, held down by 4/6? chrome dome nuts, I think there's two covers there one for the valve rockers and one for the cam chain?
I'll take a photo and post it up later today, it's Sunday morning here 0937hrs so I have some time to do some checks on the bike today, I might squirt some ATF fluid in the spark plug holes as suggested before, see if that free's up a possible stuck valve?
Thanks Bernard, appreciated!
Regards Ralph

blax1 screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 08:14 PM
Old 06-21-2014, 11:23 PM   #486
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Ralph, Sundaymorning, 08:20 AM here now... ;) Ready for a nice Sunday ride out with my brother and my local Honda agent, not on the XLV, but on its big grandchild, the XL1000V Varadero. Looking forward to see the pics later today, I guess they will clarify things. When I was working on my red one, I had no compression on one of the cylinders. To my surprise it showed out to be the hydraulic tappers which where worn... In the 'old' configuration (before dismantling the engine) it gave no problems, but with all new gaskets, it did. Cause of the full scale overhaul, the engine was in my case, completely removed from the frame. The XLV750 is a very maintenance friendly bike (bits and pieces are generally good accessible) but for some more intensive jobs its a real pain in the you know that place where the sun never shines... ;)

Old 06-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #487
blax1
Adventurer

Hope you had a nice ride Bernard, your weather sounded excellent for the ride.
Here's a photo of what I call the rocker cover, maybe tappet cover or the cover over the hydraulic lifters? Anyway I hope this helps you identify the part I'm asking about, I'm thinking of remove the CDI coils to get some more space, undo the chrome nuts and lift off the covers, if there's room between the top of the motor and the bike frame, I've read in the workshop manual that the hydraulic tappets are in the top of this cover and you have to pull the cover up at an angle to get the cover off and not drop the hydraulic lifters into the top of the engine?
Attached Images

blax1 screwed with this post 06-22-2014 at 04:40 PM
Old 06-23-2014, 01:05 AM   #488
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Ralph,
I am not sure. My instinct tells me that it should be possible with the working space available... but instincts are sometimes sooo wrong...
Perhaps some other member can help out here too?

I do have an workshop manual, will try if I can find something about this specific issue.

Old 06-23-2014, 02:50 PM   #489
blax1
Adventurer

Thanks Bernard
That would be great if you could check the manual for me
Yes if anyone has experience with this please also chime in.
I will try the oil/additive treatments later this week
Then if required start dismantling from the top down and see if i can remove the cover.
Cheers Ralph
Old 06-29-2014, 06:53 PM   #490
blax1
Adventurer

Thumb

OK!....................

I've finely found some time to work on my Beast.....

This morning I removed all the spark plugs and sprayed some WD40 and some light engine oil into the chamber's, then spun the motor over for about 20 seconds, I pushed the compression gauge into the front cylinder SP hole, and recorded nearly 50Psi, this amazed me as there was no compression a couple of weeks back, so I then added more WD40 to the front cylinder only, then fitted all the spark plugs back in and attempted to start the motor, she cranked for about 15 seconds, then fired (started) up and ran on two cylinders perfectly, the exhaust pressure felt about the same on both sides (is there a balance tube?) I ran the motor @3000RPM for about 3 minutes to get it hot then took it for a ride for about 10 minutes, the engine never missed a beat, she's back to running and starting as smoothly as she always was/has.
Like I said I'm totally amazed and very thankful at the same time, I had reconciled myself to pulling the motor out

After that I removed a spark plug to check compression 110Psi (Dry)

I've bumped the idle up, I think it was to low when she stalled and back fired a few weeks back, this was the beginning of my trouble I think?

So I can only guess at what happened maybe a bit of carbon jammed a valve slightly open or the valve just became stuck in the valve guide, maybe the hydraulic lifter expanded and locked up and has bleed back over time, anyway what ever it was has gone or repaired itself.

Here's some picture's of her this morning in the early morning winters sunshine, I'll do an oil and filter change, plus change the plugs over to Iridium as suggested, I really want to thank you all for your help and ideas during this ugly time, it has been much appreciated.

Cheers Ralph

blax1 screwed with this post 06-29-2014 at 06:58 PM
Old 07-01-2014, 01:31 PM   #491
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Isnt she a pretty little thing, Blax1?

The owners manual (front cylinder, wasn't it?) made 100% clear if the engine should be removed- or not. According to the manual, it should be removed from the frame...

Had to downscale the file massive... The primitive settings of this forum don't allow files with a size bigger than a peanut.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #492
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Larger picture, nr 1
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:39 PM   #493
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

nr 2
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:40 PM   #494
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

and the last of this page
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2014, 01:42 PM   #495
Two Plugs
Beastly Adventurer

Q on battery

Hi all,

The Battery of my black XLV750R RF died period. It has lasted for over 13 years which I think is very, very good. Even the Optimate 5 isn't able to revive it any more...

What is a good replacement? Any suggestions?