Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 03:57 PM   #20536
scrameville06
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
Changed my stock 17t sprocket to a 18t and the results are fantastic. Definitely makes better use of the power upgrades and makes hitting the ton up mark easier. Will make highway rides easier here in Colorado with speed limits of 75 which means 80-85. I also need to get a 16t for the planned dirt mountain passes I plan on doing in the near future. Does anyone have any input on the 16t?
scrameville06 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #20537
ClineDesign
Grandpa

Oddometer: 306
I rode to Hurricane Ridge in northwest Washington state this afternoon.

ClineDesign is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:13 PM   #20538
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 916
^ purdy!
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:56 PM   #20539
RamesesThe2nd
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Very nice. I chickened out and had mine installed at the dealer. Scrambler without Arrow is just not the same for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrr70 View Post
So there was this

Then one beer later there was this

one more beer and I got this

And I refuse to put baffle in :x

And bike is now 18lbs lighter
RamesesThe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:58 PM   #20540
RamesesThe2nd
n00b

Oddometer: 9
I replaced OEM lights with BC retro lights this weekend. Very happy witht the result.

RamesesThe2nd screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 05:11 PM
RamesesThe2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:34 AM   #20541
Boola-Boola
Scramblin' Man

Oddometer: 110
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClineDesign View Post
I rode to Hurricane Ridge in northwest Washington state this afternoon.

Outstanding photo. Would make a stunning poster.

'You gotta deep-six your wristwatch, you gotta try an' understand, the time it seems to capture is just the movement of its hands.' (Walk in the Sunshine : Bob Weir)

Boola-Boola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:05 AM   #20542
RealOldDualSportGuy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 450
TuncECU

Where might I gain some knowledge on this tool

Ready a few posts ago that it is a useful ECU diagnostic and tuning tool for FI equipped Triumphs

Thanks and regards

Old 06-22-2014, 07:23 AM   #20543
RedMenace
Adventure Sidecar

Oddometer: 5,166
I went out riding with Tom Niemela yesterday and he took this photo

RedMenace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:51 AM   #20544
bighead3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 45
^Nice photo!!
bighead3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #20545
msandhu413
n00b

Oddometer: 4
ecu re-map to use on 2014 scrambler with arrow?

Hello All !

Awesome pics on the thread !! Got myself the 2014 Scrambler, as well – blue (will post pics, soon). Was in market for used one but didn’t find many for sale, which is usually not the case for bikes here in California …………… but not for Scrambler; which I guess is a good thing. Wish it was little lighter but once on it, it's totally very controllable and just perfect for its persona.

Anyways, need little help. I will be installing the Arrow 2 - 1 exhaust and also will tune ecu, as well. I have already order the cable. The heat shields and headers are at shop for ceramic coating. Now, which map hex file should I download and use to re-map the ecu tune. Is the following one correct one (20514Map.hex OEM) from http://www.tomhamburg.net/Twin_OEM_Tune_list.html :

20514Map.hex OEM md5checksum - Use with Arrow 2-1 system, LCD odometer. Fuel up to E10. Minimum 91 RON (87 RON/MON) fuel Replaces the 20454

Thank you. Mac

(And any other must modification, I should consider at this point … I’m not looking for more power )is "20514Map.hex" correct and latest map i need to use with arrow exhaust??
msandhu413 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:22 PM   #20546
Kiwi Mo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Question Which shim kit to buy ? + backlash pins ?

I have 2 questions

1=I'm looking at doing the valve clearance check this week.

I have been looking at shim kits and there seem to be more than 1 option out there.
If I bought a kit which one or are they all pretty much the same quality/hardness etc.

I have heard the V-Max shims are the same size.?

2= Those back lash pins. Would a simple bolt do the job? I do know there are 2 sizes of holes and was thinking there is only 2mm difference.
Kiwi Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:40 PM   #20547
Blinky03
Adventurer

Oddometer: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Mo View Post
I have 2 questions

1=I'm looking at doing the valve clearance check this week.

I have been looking at shim kits and there seem to be more than 1 option out there.
If I bought a kit which one or are they all pretty much the same quality/hardness etc.

I have heard the V-Max shims are the same size.?

2= Those back lash pins. Would a simple bolt do the job? I do know there are 2 sizes of holes and was thinking there is only 2mm difference.
Suggest you wait until you know what size shims you need before you buy any - you can get them individually, some Honda shims are the correct size as well - they are all the same quality

Send your address and I will post you a pin
Blinky03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:45 PM   #20548
Kiwi Mo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 38
Blinky03. Will do and thank you very much.
Kiwi Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 05:10 PM   #20549
grebmrof
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 136
I recently did the valve clearance check on both of my Bonnevilles, a few notes:

- use a decent quality metric feeler guage, not a decimal guage converted to metric (they have odd sizes and gaps in the range you want).
- have a decent quality digial micrometer to check the existing shim thickness as well as any replacement shims you might need.
- the pins that hold the cam gears from spinning can be made from standard allen wrenches. I would not use screws and nuts through these holes as there is a risk of dropping a small piece down into the engine.
- block off the holes leading into the engine so nothing can possibly fall down into it - disaster!

What I found when I measured the valve clearances of my 13K T100 was that I needed to replace 6 of 8 shims. When I checked my 20K Scrambler it was within tolerances.

When you replace the cam cover, the gasket should be reusable, make sure it is clean, dry and in proper position and the engine surface is clean and dry too. The four screws that hold the cover down have rubber/metal washers that should be replaced with new ones and torqued down properly.

Yes, don't bother with shim kits, they invariably will not have the right sizes. You may be able to find a dealer to swap shims with you. The printed thickness will/might be illegible - hence the need for a micrometer.

Good luck with this maintenance project.
grebmrof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:17 PM   #20550
B02S4
Aye

Oddometer: 916
Quote:
Originally Posted by grebmrof View Post
I recently did the valve clearance check on both of my Bonnevilles, a few notes:

- use a decent quality metric feeler guage, not a decimal guage converted to metric (they have odd sizes and gaps in the range you want).
- have a decent quality digial micrometer to check the existing shim thickness as well as any replacement shims you might need.
- the pins that hold the cam gears from spinning can be made from standard allen wrenches. I would not use screws and nuts through these holes as there is a risk of dropping a small piece down into the engine.
- block off the holes leading into the engine so nothing can possibly fall down into it - disaster!

What I found when I measured the valve clearances of my 13K T100 was that I needed to replace 6 of 8 shims. When I checked my 20K Scrambler it was within tolerances.

When you replace the cam cover, the gasket should be reusable, make sure it is clean, dry and in proper position and the engine surface is clean and dry too. The four screws that hold the cover down have rubber/metal washers that should be replaced with new ones and torqued down properly.

Yes, don't bother with shim kits, they invariably will not have the right sizes. You may be able to find a dealer to swap shims with you. The printed thickness will/might be illegible - hence the need for a micrometer.

Good luck with this maintenance project.
^ great info, thanks for posting it.
B02S4 is offline   Reply With Quote