Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2014, 07:04 AM   #8236
Dirt_Dad
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 504
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz1200 View Post
Took a ride .. First through the Badlands...
Looks like a great ride, George. Thanks for the pics. You posting a ride report anywhere?
2013 Suzuki DR650SE
2008 Yamaha WR250R (for sale)
Dirt_Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #8237
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Where I had lunch the other day. Sit in my camping chair and ate a delicious sandwich.

The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:14 PM   #8238
mortalsphere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
I just got her...

Brand New 2014 Super Tenere ES.... Number 00005. Got her today! I couldn't be happier! Took her for a long ride home through tree-embraced, windy roads. It's a great feeling... I can't wait to get through the break-in period and see what she can really do.
Attached Images

If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
-Lao Tzu
mortalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #8239
mortalsphere
Adventurer

Oddometer: 61
First Ride

Had to show her a good view on our first ride!
Attached Images

If you are at peace you are living in the present.”
-Lao Tzu
mortalsphere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 05:19 PM   #8240
Taz1200

Oddometer: 176
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Dad View Post
Looks like a great ride, George. Thanks for the pics. You posting a ride report anywhere?

No ride report but a quick summary...started from NY heading to Alaska...while in Alberta on Iceland Pkwy started hailing ..temps in 30s and heated gear stopped working...stayed in Jasper for the night...Dawson Creek got snow and was expecting more...decided maybe a bit early for this trip and riding in Colorado seemed much more fun at this point so turned around (one advantage of riding solo) headed south through Glacier..Yellowstone...Tetons....Mt Evans.....At this point I either would have to commit to getting another tire and staying out west another 2,weeks or head home and save vacation for another day...went home. Since I will be riding out west for a couple of weeks in Sept.. .Heidenau got 7500 miles out of it and probably could go another 1500 or so but I don't generally run to the wear bars...so went to work for a week put on a set of Battelwings since Heidenau and Mitas seem hard to find right now...got bored today and since never cancelled this weeks vacation I am currently in western PA...doing a loop to Niagra falls..finger lakes. Adirondacks...Vermont......eventually home.....life is good...

Taz1200 screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 05:26 PM
Taz1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:24 PM   #8241
KenMcBreezy
Back on dirt - hurts

Oddometer: 33
Went on a ride with UpST8 today, he took pics and knows where we were, I just remember the 33 and Elkhorn Grade Road but there was more - I'm sure he'll post a RR soon enough. Got the first of multiple (and many to come) character additions. First was i was splitting between two ruts making a left curve, got a little wide and dropped into the outside one. Front was turned left and soon as I dropped into the rut it basically stopped me dead in my tracks. Scratches to the Rumbux, broke the freshly installed left side fog light (funny, I was talking about how I wanted to reposition them when I got home, now I get to just remove them) and bent my shifter lever quite nicely - probably the shelf of the rut? Not sure. Pause for Captain Morgan meets Rocky at the top of the steps pose for picture, and then we picked up the bike (I couldn't get it up from full horizontal in that location - need to work on that before I have to try again) and continued on. Oh and I "policed my brass" and disposed of the shattered light remnants into my duffel.

Later, there were tumbleweeds overgrowing sections of the road, so we followed blazed diversions into much looser stuff and after negotiating the first one okay I hit the loose stuff and the front waved to me as it went left while the rest of the bike stayed straight. I think I broke the right side fog light that time, but I haven't bothered to look at it since. No other damage except maybe scratches under the veil of dust, so I guess it's all good. I actually righted the bike and continued on before he turned back for me, so I could have gotten away with it... Funny thing is I dropped it maybe a hundred or two feet behind, we had literally just started rolling.

Not far ahead, there was an uphill which was too loose for me to negotiate. I couldn't maintain what little speed I had and couldn't maintain traction with speed or without, hit the soft stuff at the edge and down again. I got the bike back up, and couldn't get any progress trying to back it up - front would sink in and then I'd rock forward and pull hard back and get it to move a few inches at a time. Chris pulled the rear wheel around so we could try to work the front onto the harder stuff, and somewhere in the process the bike went down and I couldn't pick it back up. At this point I felt like I was made of rubber, and how much of that was the exertions vs the drops vs my water being in a container in my duffel (camelback still in San Diego) and not getting to my mouth, I couldn't say. Chris took over and worked the handlebars back and forth to point the front tire downhill, fighting to keep traction in the harder stuff. Once my Tenner was pointing downhill and on its sidestand, we geared back up to head back. Like I said, I was toast.

I'm not sure I could negotiate that hill even with his tires, the Tenere is just too big for me to do more than a fire road yet. Lesson learned. Repeatedly. I hate being an anchor, even though I like being in the caboose position. When I lose sight of people, I start to worry that they are going to be off on the side any second and I need to be ready to stop. So I slow down. Then I'm farther behind, and the cycle continues. I need to work on this, especially since slow doesn't really work in stuff like sandy dirt. Ride your ride, all that jazz.

All in all, it was a good day, and I'm glad I got to go - even if I wasn't really ready for some of the stuff I got into, whether because of my newbiness or because of my setup.

TLDR:

I have a lot to learn, starting with how to shut off tcs and abs.

EDIT: sorry, I should probably nuke this or move it, But I'll be posting pictures and thought you'd like the story behind them when they come.

KenMcBreezy screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 07:39 PM
KenMcBreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 12:03 AM   #8242
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geology Rocks View Post
Where I had lunch the other day. Sit in my camping chair and ate a delicious sandwich.

muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:17 AM   #8243
KenMcBreezy
Back on dirt - hurts

Oddometer: 33
I wish I put something into the rut to show it better, because it almost looks non-existent from this angle. And who installed it backwards, anyway?
Attached Images

Old 06-22-2014, 01:43 PM   #8244
MrTwisty
Short Bus Cowboy

Oddometer: 2,086
^ Adding a little character the the S10.....nice.
TBA #1001
"Life is too short to be a candy ass." - RuffJeep
'12 Yamaha Super Tenere, '05 KTM 450 EXC. '03 Suzuki DRZ 400S
MrTwisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 06:30 PM   #8245
RideDualSport.com
TPB all the way

Oddometer: 1,450
Alaska Deep Adventure
RideDualSport.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:04 PM   #8246
Geology Rocks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 473
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddysoles View Post
It took me 40 miles of dirt and about 90 miles of pavement. It was well worth it.:)

The "Suicide Disease" - Complex Regional Pain Syndrome. The pain never ends
http://www.rsds.org/2/what_is_rsd_crps/
Geology Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 08:40 PM   #8247
40cu.in.of.furey
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Wow the only thing you didn't change was the exhaust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
General refresh. Cleaning,painted rad vent,powdercoated skidplate,crash bars,new stickers. Now ready to get dirty.
40cu.in.of.furey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 05:53 AM   #8248
true grip
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 223
Well it has been hit with the farkle stick. The handlebars are stock with rox rises. The seat is stock I still can't decide if I like it. I did 525 miles on it sat. and at times I like the gripper material and times hate it. I've got 24,000 on the bike so I guess I'll keep it. My opinion is just a can won't be much gain other than sound. Can,headers,PC,flash gets about 10 horsepower I think. I'm content with just the Flash. I don't need anymore power for the dirt I ride and can pass anything on the slab with ease. I'm not near as big as some of you guys so I'm happy with the power, Very Happy!
Old 06-23-2014, 07:25 AM   #8249
muddysoles
The cubicle traveler

Oddometer: 168
Gravel, Rocks, Sand, Mud .. the Super Tenere handled it all...!

photo 7_zpsff95e0fa.jpg

photo 6_zpse5123233.jpg

photo 2_zpsf0047fe2.jpg

photo 9_zpse457c56a.jpg

Like Snakebitten says, it truly is the biggest dirt bike in the world!
muddysoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 08:34 AM   #8250
dclements0
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 40cu.in.of.furey View Post
Wow the only thing you didn't change was the exhaust!
Quote:
Originally Posted by true grip View Post
General refresh. Cleaning,painted rad vent,powdercoated skidplate,crash bars,new stickers. Now ready to get dirty.
What windshield and bracket do you have there. I dig!
dclements0 is offline   Reply With Quote