Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2014, 09:41 AM   #9826
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 732
I'll save you the trouble. Here's how it would have gone....

Quirky
Engine shakes and pulls the bike to the right with throttle input
Heavy
Only 100 hp
Good choice if you're only on the street.

There you go. Basically the same review every magazine does of it.

Kevin Ash did the best reviews. Too bad he was killed on a GS. He clearly understood the bike.

http://www.ashonbikes.com/content/mo...io-2011-review
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:43 AM   #9827
WitchCityBallabio
Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer: 732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
Hey folks - I have to change a crank seal - which is all tickety boo and fine. The only question mark in my head at the moment is about getting the engine out (chassis off) anyone done that - have any pitfalls to look out for?

Cheers!
Head over to Guzzitech and ping Pete Roper. Apparently the early 2008-2009 Stelvio's are a bit tougher than the newer versions.
1966 Moto Guzzi Stornello
IBA # 35648
WitchCityBallabio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:04 AM   #9828
pyoungbl
Colonel Blood

Oddometer: 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by WitchCityBallabio View Post
Head over to Guzzitech and ping Pete Roper. Apparently the early 2008-2009 Stelvio's are a bit tougher than the newer versions.
I'd recommend going to www.wildguzzi.com to catch Pete Roper where he uses the name Vasco DG. That's a much more active site for Guzzi stuff.
Old 06-20-2014, 10:15 AM   #9829
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,918
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSBS View Post
I have no doubt the KTM trounces the other big ADV bikes off-road when compared. Great suspension, plenty of power, etc., etc.
Just don't take it off-road as they are all ingesting a fair amount of dirt and ruining their top ends. And don't ride them on the street because they're so hot that they're cooking the man-parts even after adding a reflective barrier under the seat.

All bikes have quirks. I went through this with my BMW R1200GS and my Ducati MTS1200S. Great bikes by all accounts, but both were a pain the a$$ to own. I don't care how much praise a review gives them, if they give me grief to own and operate on a daily basis, out they go.

So far my Stelvio has had a few niggles, all thanks to improper setup (fog lights) or missed TSBs (starter wire), but nothing like what I've dealt with on other bikes, and definitely nothing like what the KTM 1190 owners are having to deal with. Unless it starts really acting up, it's a keeper.

-SM

Sock Monkey screwed with this post 06-20-2014 at 01:10 PM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:57 AM   #9830
Adam R
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Laugh

Thanks folks - I'll go to Guzzitech - solely because I'm registered there already
Old 06-20-2014, 02:42 PM   #9831
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,898
Well I picked up my bike today after getting the clutch replaced under warranty. After seeing the pressure plates I can see why it was chattering. That's about the worst clutch surface I've seen. Clearly there was some metal quality problems. The friction disc looked good.

As a bonus I got my swingarm bearings greased. The tech said there was very little grease in there.

Riding it home WOW what a difference, buttery smooth like a clutch should be.

I'm more than stoked!!!
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 02:48 PM   #9832
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TommyBwell View Post
The new Motorcyclist has a shootout between the KTM, GS, Tenerre and the Explorer. They bash everything but the winning KTM and the GS. They follow it up with a less than flattering review of the Stelvio. What a shocker.
Ya, just read that this morning. Why didn't they include the Stelvio in the shootout? The Stelvio is better than the TEX in the dirt for sure.

At least they rated the 1190 best, if the GS had won I would puke. After riding it I'd rate it at the top for dirt work also. But they really should have given the Stelvio a fair chance and included it.

It's clear the press has predefined bias.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #9833
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam R View Post
Hey folks - I have to change a crank seal - which is all tickety boo and fine. The only question mark in my head at the moment is about getting the engine out (chassis off) anyone done that - have any pitfalls to look out for?

Cheers!
If I'm not mistaken I think you can change the seal with the engine in the frame. Just pull the trans off supporting the engine from the bottom with a small scissor jack. Then pull the clutch assembly off.

But I'd ping Pete R or Todd E to make sure.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
Old 06-21-2014, 05:43 AM   #9834
XT Traveler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
Quote:
Originally Posted by danketchpel View Post
Well I picked up my bike today after getting the clutch replaced under warranty. After seeing the pressure plates I can see why it was chattering. That's about the worst clutch surface I've seen. Clearly there was some metal quality problems. The friction disc looked good.

As a bonus I got my swingarm bearings greased. The tech said there was very little grease in there.

I'm more than stoked!!!
Dan

I know you worked with you dealer for quite some time to get Guzzi to warranty this -- can you tell us what put you over the top. I have the same problem (as do many of us) with my clutch and now that I know it can actually be cured I'd like to pursue it with my dealer. Any perspective would be appreciated.

Current Stable: Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX, BMW F800GS, Yamaha MT-01,
Triumph Thruxton, Triumph Scrambler, Suzuki DRZ400S, Ducati Pantah 500
XT Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:11 PM   #9835
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by XT Traveler View Post
Dan

I know you worked with you dealer for quite some time to get Guzzi to warranty this -- can you tell us what put you over the top. I have the same problem (as do many of us) with my clutch and now that I know it can actually be cured I'd like to pursue it with my dealer. Any perspective would be appreciated.
My bike was pretty bad, not just the first couple starts in the morning, more like the first 20 starts and then it would do it again once it cooled back down. As long as it was really hot it was OK.

Around 12,000 miles I realized it would never get better or "bed in" so I got fed up and took it to the dealer, left it over night, and had them ride it from cold. There was NO denying there was a problem, you could hear it from 20 ft away. I was there in the morning when he rode it and as he did the first engagement it was very clear to him. He looked back at me and nodded. He took it out for a ride and when he came back he confirmed it continued to do it for quite some time. It would easily stall the engine if you didn't feather tbe clutch like crazy.

The dealer did fight with Guzzi to get it approved and I'm greatful for that. Looking at the parts that came out there is no doubt there was a metal problem. I've seen and worked on quite a few dry single plate clutches, in cars and my BMW and they never looked like that.

My BMW clutch was always very smooth through the original friction disc and the second one I put in during some major work I did at 115,000 miles. I sold the bike with 148,000 miles on it and the clutch was still dead smooth.

I did go through some grabby clutches in 2 cars and in both it came down to poor quality parts and flywheel surfacing. In both cases when I used high quality factory parts and had a proper flywheel surfacing they worked perfectly. Lessons learned the hard way.

In my opinion the supplier to Guzzi is at fault, it is definitely a sub standard batch of parts. The tech that I worked with on this did tell me the part numbers showed several revisions for the assembly. What I don't get is why just the Stelvios? I don't read any reports of Norges or Grisos with this problem. Very funky.

Something else, these parts were ordered in January, apparently being out of stock in the US warehouse and showing nothing in stock in Italy. I kept in touch and always got the same answer "no delivery date shown". About 2 weeks ago I stopped in and told them it's time to light a fire under some butts. They did that, writing 6 emails to people way up the food chain. Needless to say it worked, 2 weeks later a new clutch assembly arrived.

That's the extent of my experience with this issue so far.
00 Suzi DRZ400-S

danketchpel screwed with this post 06-21-2014 at 02:19 PM
Old 06-21-2014, 03:04 PM   #9836
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,366
Quote:
Something else, these parts were ordered in January, apparently being out of stock in the US warehouse and showing nothing in stock in Italy. I kept in touch and always got the same answer "no delivery date shown". About 2 weeks ago I stopped in and told them it's time to light a fire under some butts. They did that, writing 6 emails to people way up the food chain. Needless to say it worked, 2 weeks later a new clutch assembly arrived.

That's the extent of my experience with this issue so far.
At least you got it fixed before August. Glad it's back on the road and working like it's supposed to.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:05 PM   #9837
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
At least you got it fixed before August. Glad it's back on the road and working like it's supposed to.
Correct me if I'm wrong Dan, but this grabby clutch business didn't keep you off the road, right? I think you just kept riding until the parts came in, then had them swapped out......

-SM
Old 06-21-2014, 10:53 PM   #9838
Demar39
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Quote:

I'm more than stoked!!!
Dan, it looks like you just made it..... http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=70392.0
Old 06-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #9839
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demar39 View Post
Dan, it looks like you just made it..... http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=70392.0

Fortunately mine only groans when I'm being oafish with the clutch, otherwise it's quiet as a church mouse, and certainly no knocking, chattering, or other untoward behavior.

-SM
Old 06-22-2014, 12:49 AM   #9840
alfie698
n00b

Oddometer: 3
Bike magazine has a long-term test of the Honda Crosstourer (the VFR1200 GSalike) this month, and obviously the comparisons throughout the piece are all against the BMW, but they do actually mention the Stelvio once at the end, but only to say that the Honda's suspension is superior to all the rest. However there is an Alternatives sidebar which lists the GS, KTM and Stelvio (but not the TEX or S10 strangely) with a little spiel about it which is fairly complimentary and ends with "Good, not great."

The one thing I wouldn’t mark the Stelvio down on is the suspension, so it seems strange to use that against it. Presumably the journo has never ridden one.

And then in the Bike Guide at the back one of the little stories at the bottom is titled Effortless Cool is about how Moto Guzzi is the most stylish Italian marque.

Did someone in MG UK suddenly realise they had an expenses budget and took some of the Bike staffers out for a meal and a shmooze???
alfie698 is offline   Reply With Quote