ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts > Land of the Rising Sun: ADV Bikes from Japan
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: Whatcha got?
DL650 2,995 63.91%
DL1000 1,627 34.72%
Both DL650 & DL1000 69 1.47%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 4686. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #3391
togordy
"better than I deserve"

Oddometer: 69
strom

I am now a stromtrooper.....

2007 DL650

Ive had my eye on the Stroms for a while, very happy to have found one.

Now time to farkle!!!
togordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:52 PM   #3392
CarlosDBG
n00b

Oddometer: 7
welcome to the strong side
CarlosDBG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:22 AM   #3393
the schwartz
Buckethead Wendy

Oddometer: 562
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The stock foam sucked IMO, I had to get that replaced. Seat Concepts has two density options, I went with the standard one. At 250 pounds I find the SC foam plenty supportive.

I'm 6'-4" and hefty, I really benefited from the seat upgrade. Almost have 2,000 miles on it now, much better than my Gel seat.

is your bike lowered? I'm looking at that photo (nice btw) and wondering if our bikes really have that little clearance
Old 06-21-2014, 07:38 AM   #3394
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
is your bike lowered? I'm looking at that photo (nice btw) and wondering if our bikes really have that little clearance
Geeze I hope not...he is 6'4 like me. I am considering raising links in addition to a 2" taller seat which is being made now.
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 09:42 AM   #3395
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagedrifter View Post
The stock foam sucked IMO, I had to get that replaced. Seat Concepts has two density options, I went with the standard one. At 250 pounds I find the SC foam plenty supportive.
Yep. Even after whittling and shaping the stock foam it still wasn't good enough for an all-day seat. I ended up popping for a Sargent and then, wouldn't you know it, SC came out with their V-Strom foam & cover. The SC foam & cover look to compare quite favorably with the Sargent seat for about $200 less.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:29 AM   #3396
sagedrifter
Southern Explorer

Oddometer: 1,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by the schwartz View Post
I'm loaded heavy in that pic with a stock rear shock/spring. I'm 250 pounds, then add riding gear, three hard bags loaded, all the bolt ons etc. I still don't drag anything on pavement that shouldn't. I've been putting off a shock rebuild, but I think I'll go ahead and upgrade this winter. I've already done the forks; sonic 1.0's, new seals, about 7wt oil and a fork brace. But, I really need a 13kg or better rear spring. The bike is about right when I have the bags off around town with the rear pre-load maxed. Add any more weight and it sags too much.

Here is another pic taken the same week:

I make all bikes look small an overloaded... I looked really good on a DR650

6'-4" tall around 250 pounds naked, size 14 feet.... The Strom is actually comfortable to me, my bars and pegs are stock. I think I'll change that soon, the grip angle kills my shoulders after a while. My last bike had CR High bends and I never got that shoulder pain, I'm hoping its the crappy stock grip angle.

I need to loose some of that gut.... the jacket kinda holds it in... kinda...

sagedrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:21 PM   #3397
Motor7
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 345
Sorry, but just looking at that knee angle makes mine hurt.....one ACL & two scopes tend to make them a bit ....mmmm...sensitive
Motor7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 07:14 PM   #3398
Shunpiker Dan
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
Exactly one year to the day: 15k miles.

2013 V-Strom 650
Shunpiker Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 08:21 PM   #3399
frostbitevinnie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
So I have had bad issues with my hands going numb on my wee. First I thought it might be due to my left fork leaking and causing some weird vibration or uneven suspension. Got new seals installed and still hands go numb. Had new tires installed, the originals from the PO had 2k on them, but were 5 yrs old and beginning to dry rot. Still numb hands. I made 1# end weights from SS and still numb hands. Filled the bars with shot and still numb hands.

After doing more research it was suggested on some forum, maybe here, that I try the bar snake and possibly vibrinators. Well I was able to install the bar snake last night, that was a PITA with the wees high bend bars but I got it. I talked with the owner of bar snake and he told me that if I could find any end weights from an early 80's liter bike that they were lead filled and would be the bomb in combo with the bar snake.

Well I test rode with the bar snake and there is a definite improvement with hwy speeds but my hands still go somewhat numb with speeds less than 40 mph. The local sorezuki dealer said that most likely my front tire is out of round and probably was not balanced. I called my tire guy and he assured me that they balance every tire every time.

So today I bored out my home made SS bar ends and filled them with lead hoping to take out more vibration. So far OK but not perfect. The next item to add is a bar brace from touratec.

Pics of the lead filled bar ends.

Trying to get ready for the MN 300 next weekend. It would really suck to have numb hands for two days straight!
frostbitevinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 10:24 PM   #3400
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here

Oddometer: 6,252
Have you tried cushioned grips and a lighter hold on the bars?
Old 06-22-2014, 05:22 AM   #3401
Lee Dodge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 259
I've been struggling with this issue also. I've been able to make some improvements. The thing that made the biggest difference so far is reposition the bars closer to me up and so that there is as little weight on my hands as possible. I have ATV high bars on up and back risers. My throttle hand goes numb much more than the other. I use a throttle lock as much as possible. Thicker winter style glove do make a difference. I've tried the vibrinators, but for me they slightly increased the vibrations at 4500 and below but they were smoother above that. I've noticed I get less numbing on bikes that have very light throttle springs and these bikes also have the stock waffle type grips that sort of lock into your glove and require less squeezing to maintain position. Some people report their Givi crash bars cause vibration but I have run the bike both ways and can't detect a difference.
Old 06-22-2014, 06:56 AM   #3402
frostbitevinnie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnsureFooting View Post
Have you tried cushioned grips and a lighter hold on the bars?
Yes. I have grip puppies on, vista cruise, crap buster, olympia gel pad palm gloves, and 2" risers with 2" pullback. Not much else I can do cept change bars completely.

I don't have this issue on my bandit so it must be something specific to the wee for me.
frostbitevinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 07:44 AM   #3403
LexLeroy
Aging Gracelessly

Oddometer: 2,130
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostbitevinnie View Post
Yes. I have grip puppies on, vista cruise, crap buster, olympia gel pad palm gloves, and 2" risers with 2" pullback. Not much else I can do cept change bars completely.

I don't have this issue on my bandit so it must be something specific to the wee for me.
Hmmm.... It seems that the Bandit's riding position would put more pressure on your palms than the Wee. Maybe a difference in the angle of your wrists between the two bikes is irritating some underlying condition?
Old 06-22-2014, 08:19 AM   #3404
UnsureFooting
Title of User Here

Oddometer: 6,252
Is it just your hands? If so, is it mainly the palm side, not the back?
Old 06-22-2014, 01:20 PM   #3405
rystjohn
Road Dreamer

Oddometer: 105
I had a very similar thing happen on my 5k mile trip around the USA. My hands only started to go numb on the last two days or so. The nerve damage was so bad that I couldn't tie my shoes or cut my own finger nails for nearly a month after I got back! My clutch hand was WAY worse than my throttle hand, which recovered in about a week or two.

Changed all kinda of things on the bike to see what would improve it, changed my posture, grip, gloves, etc.

Long story short - it was my ulnar and radial nerve being pinched - in my elbow! Turns out my grips were too close to me. Straightening my arms out a bit has definitely helped, although I sometimes still pinch those nerves in my wrist/hand.
rystjohn is offline   Reply With Quote