Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2014, 01:07 AM   #1006
marc-s
photographer

Oddometer: 105
Honestly? I don't think handling is better on the S10. It's the same type of vehicle. The engine and overall handling isn't any more exciting than on other comparable bikes. Ride one and you'll see if it fits your needs.
Have you looked at the new Super Tenere? Pricier, but used bikes start to appear. I hear it's a joy to ride, but haven't riden one myself yet.

how to check if you have found a good example: it's the same as with all bikes... list of modifications done to the bike (more mods = more time spent under then on the bike ). if you sit on the bike and it squeaks, than the bike has probably been neglegtec (squeaking = no grease in the rear suspension wishbone bearings). if the battery is faulty or has been recently replaced, then there's work to do; if the owner has converted to double headlights with relais then he knew his bike. check when the valves were adjusted (compare to service intervals). And then just ride the damn thing. If it feels shitty, it is shitty. If the transmission is not smooth (shift forks bent), the handling in general poor (front fork neglegted, wheel bearings not replaced, wheels not trued), acceleration bumpy (dampers!) it speaks for itself. But it always comes down to the time and money you're willing to invest.

The problem with those machines is, that a lot of people just use them on a daily basis for commuting, or just rtide them. and when they're fed up they sell it to the next, who just rides them. Milage is often high, and service intervalls where ignored. They still work, but most of them are not in mint condition anymore. So work is always required.

but first of all just ride one and check if the bike in general is what you're looking for.

/I see you're from the Netherlands. There will be a big Tenere Meeting taking place on the 18.-20. June in Bergeijk. Check it out to get in touch with the community and to get more information about the bike.
marc-s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 01:23 AM   #1007
ptrs46
n00b

Oddometer: 3
I think that the engine is in fact more exciting than the vtwins.. I've only riden the transalp 650 of the rivals that you posted.. There is no comparison between the TA and s10.. The s10 is soo smooth in low rpm, you can ride with 5th and 1000-1500rpm witgout the engine complaining. Then you open the throttle and revs freely and fast with beautiful sound.. Its not that fast, but you never get bored.. In tests ive found, they say as a negative that the suspension is harder than on africa.. Then you find that the owners of both africa and s10 put even harder springs :p .. I think that the s10 is better everywhere, except brakes (they are shity in every onoff of the era anyway) resale value and maybe looks..for more usual problems and thinks to look, you will find many threads on the forum ive posted above..
Good luck :)
ptrs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2014, 03:28 AM   #1008
marc-s
photographer

The AT's are even softer? they must ride like crap then
The engine is not so bad. that's true. you can cruise with low RPM if (!) your carburetors are set properly and if your dampers in the rear wheel are not worn out. And if you are somewhat lazy like me and don't like shifting a lot then S10 is not so bad at all. That's true. And I like being in the low revs. But the engine comes to live above 5000rpm... If speed and agility is a main requirement, then you'll have to stick to the upper revs. But it all depends on your carburetor settings. There are a lot of people complaining about a lack of performance in the lower or upper revs, and try "fixing" it by rejetting the carbs, putting in aftermarket air filters and performance exhausts. But they'd be better of just going back to the stock settings. If you get them properly, than everything will be fine.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:09 AM   #1009
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,089
The TRX motor swap turns the bike into something like a Japanese version of the Ducati Elefant.
A bit high strung, low gear is a wee bit high, not really great in the slow single track.
Certainly much more entertaining on the pavement. : )
yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:31 AM   #1010
ghulst
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Ok, so I have got my eyes on one. There are upsides and downsides to it. Marketwise, it has been resprayed in black. Seems to be matte in the pictures. Apparently the owner before the previous one did not like the green and purple and decided to respray the whole thing before heading out on a trail around the Balkans. Plus is that it is reasonably low mileage (58K km) and has wider footpegs etc. It has been serviced and on first sight, looks pretty nice. Though I would consider doing a respray into something a bit nicer to look at.
The owner says that the mounts and subframe are good. So that helps. And it would leave me some money to change needles and possibly springs, and maybe strengthen the frame and subframe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptrs46 View Post
for more usual problems and thinks to look, you will find many threads on the forum ive posted above..
Good luck :)
Thanks. Became a member of that forum, but it seems not to be very active and hard to browse... A good page with a buyers guide would be nice. And one with a list of common mods to lights, brakes, fame, subframe etc would be nice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
The TRX motor swap turns the bike into something like a Japanese version of the Ducati Elefant.
A bit high strung, low gear is a wee bit high, not really great in the slow single track.
Certainly much more entertaining on the pavement. : )
That might be fun, but not for now. ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marc-s View Post
There are a lot of people complaining about a lack of performance in the lower or upper revs, and try "fixing" it by rejetting the carbs, putting in aftermarket air filters and performance exhausts. But they'd be better of just going back to the stock settings. If you get them properly, than everything will be fine.
Hey, it is not a KTM 1190R... But I am well aware of that. And that is fine with me. The Transalp only had 50bhp when new. the S10 at least had 67, which is a great improvement. The one I am thinking about has the Laser Produro on the back. No other mods. And I do like that sound.

Quote:
Honestly? I don't think handling is better on the S10. It's the same type of vehicle. The engine and overall handling isn't any more exciting than on other comparable bikes. Ride one and you'll see if it fits your needs.
Honestly is great, thanks. On the other hand, the Transalp is just a different machine. Smaller, lighter etc. The S10 will always be heavier and less easy to throw around due to weight and size. That is not a problem. I did like the AT and the R1100GS, but both do take getting used to.

Quote:
Have you looked at the new Super Tenere? Pricier, but used bikes start to appear. I hear it's a joy to ride, but haven't riden one myself yet.
Have you looked at my budget? Not an option. And if it were, I would probably go for the KTM 1190 series. I rode the 1190 Adventure for a day. Man, that thing is a hooligans' road warrior. Like the looks of the 1190 Adventure R better though. Having said that, I think I might loose my license quite quickly on one of those.*

Quote:
how to check if you have found a good example: it's the same as with all bikes... list of modifications done to the bike (more mods = more time spent under then on the bike ). if you sit on the bike and it squeaks, than the bike has probably been neglegtec (squeaking = no grease in the rear suspension wishbone bearings). if the battery is faulty or has been recently replaced, then there's work to do; if the owner has converted to double headlights with relais then he knew his bike. check when the valves were adjusted (compare to service intervals). And then just ride the damn thing. If it feels shitty, it is shitty. If the transmission is not smooth (shift forks bent), the handling in general poor (front fork neglegted, wheel bearings not replaced, wheels not trued), acceleration bumpy (dampers!) it speaks for itself. But it always comes down to the time and money you're willing to invest.
Well, I have a Yamaha XJ550 in pieces in the back of the garage at the moment. Taking care of those issues would be one or two days work. If the price is right, I wouldn't mind the money. But like you said, looking at and riding a bike shows a lot about how it was kept. What is that double headlight conversion that you were talking about? Is there a link where I can read more about that?

Quote:
The problem with those machines is, that a lot of people just use them on a daily basis for commuting, or just rtide them. and when they're fed up they sell it to the next, who just rides them. Milage is often high, and service intervalls where ignored. They still work, but most of them are not in mint condition anymore. So work is always required.

but first of all just ride one and check if the bike in general is what you're looking for.

/I see you're from the Netherlands. There will be a big Tenere Meeting taking place on the 18.-20. June in Bergeijk. Check it out to get in touch with the community and to get more information about the bike.
Mileage on this one is alright. It has not done much in the past two years the current owner told me. Which is also the reason why he wants to sell.
If it is anywhere near the handling of the AT or better, then that is the way I want to go. But will need to ride one.

The Dutch club asks you to fork out for membership first, before you can read about what they are doing. That is slightly unfortunate. And I am not in the Bergeijk area this week. But will keep my eyes open to see what other opportunities arise from there. Thanks.
ghulst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:31 AM   #1011
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 521
Cry

Why do I torture myself with threads about bikes I can never get in the states?
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 04:33 AM   #1012
ghulst
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkmojo View Post
Why do I torture myself with threads about bikes I can never get in the states?
Don't know. Do you want me to ship you one? ;)
Old 06-18-2014, 02:31 PM   #1013
Starkmojo
Chief Totberry

Oddometer: 521
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghulst View Post
Don't know. Do you want me to ship you one? ;)
My wife is mad enough at the panniers for the xtz1200 showing up in the mail... I can only imagine if a bike showed up in pieces.
Rule number one kid is don't be a dumbass like your old man
Starkmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:32 PM   #1014
ghulst
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starkmojo View Post
My wife is mad enough at the panniers for the xtz1200 showing up in the mail... I can only imagine if a bike showed up in pieces.

Hey, if that is the problem, I can ship it whole with panniers. ;)
Old 06-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #1015
danfmc
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
Quote:
I replaced the sprokets and went for a longer gear ratio... ideal for cruising.
Did you change only sprockets or did you get a chain conversion?

Enviado do meu C6903 através de Tapatalk

danfmc screwed with this post 06-19-2014 at 10:55 AM
danfmc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #1016
marc-s
photographer

I changed the sprokets and went to a DID 525 chain. (they had a good deal on the 525, but it's nowhere near necessary).

re the headlight conversion: in most countries high beam uses both headlights, low beam only one. the typical headlight conversion consists of adding a relays on the headlights, new 2.5mm wires from there to the front (to bypass the old, fucked up loom) and wiring them in a way that low beam uses both headlights. In addition to more light it also uses more energy --> less is wasted on the reg/rec. Most people add a switch to disable one headlight (e.g. when they use heated grips or the battery is low). I didn't add the switch yet, but will do later.
in addition I replaced the headlights with new, clear glass ones. just used the old ones, took out the glass and cut them out, and then glued the new ones in.

pics: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/a3ejr3leo...Jpof0SBK7uaEMa
Old 06-20-2014, 08:41 AM   #1017
McRosog
Shadowking

Oddometer: 14
Hello friends,

I ve recently built a polyester "Dakar" type screen

and on the bike

Old 06-20-2014, 08:52 AM   #1018
ghulst
Adventurer

That looks nice. Any shots from the front?
Old 06-21-2014, 04:57 PM   #1019
yamalama
wet coaster

Oddometer: 1,089
Have the WR set-up on the bike:

yamalama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:51 PM   #1020
Uncle_Dave
Outback Traveller

Oddometer: 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamalama View Post
Have the WR set-up on the bike:

very nice!

Do you have front wheel clearance issues with that much travel? I have a WP front end on mine with 295mm of travel running a low guard and mine is very close at full compression to touching the headlight surround...

Oh, I've dropped the forks through the triples about 25mm since taking this photo to get a better balance but it's now made clearance slightly worse.. It's never touched but I am running 0.65kg front springs so maybe never will.
Uncle_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote