Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2014, 10:12 PM   #16
dudecati
Dudecati

Oddometer: 151
I went through the same thing. Within the last week I sold my 2011 MTS 1200S Sport and bought a new 2012 (leftover but no miles) Triumph Tiger 800. I could not be happier. Loving the new bike, fewer concerns about electronic gadgets. Just adding in my 2 cents.
dudecati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:12 PM   #17
rogerc
FJRider

Oddometer: 99
I currently have a MTS 2013 and it had a few teething issues but once sorted out has been rock solid. Have 16000 miles on her and would not hesitate to ride her cross country tomorrow.
Go out and ride the Multistrada and try and forget any nagging memories.
They are an outstanding bike that for me does everything well.
Love the comfort, performance, looks, and the suspension is fantastic.
Ridden a lot of different bikes and nothing comes close to the Ducati Multistrada.
Enjoy.
RC
rogerc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2014, 11:53 PM   #18
danketchpel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolzen View Post
Forgetting the Versys Mil, a street adventure. Not the best suspension maybe, but beats any bike from the list in terms of comfort. At least for me. Very decent agility too. If only Kawa did a right facelift.
OMG, I know. What in the world is Kawi thinking with that funky Cyclops styling on the Versys line? They wonder why they don't sell well. Maybe some test marketing at the motorcycle shows with revised styling to get buyer feedback and they might think twice about improving the styling.

Kawi is funny that way. They build something and then it's just there, love it or leave it. It seems to take an act of God to get them to right the wrongs.
09 Kawi KLR650 - for sale
00 Suzi DRZ400-S
danketchpel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:53 AM   #19
Pampero
Verbose Adventurer

Oddometer: 590
I love my Ducati. 12000 miles on a '12S Touring and I wouldn't hesitate to take it anywhere that's paved. Though I feel the same about my '01 GS. I think as far as the riding experience goes, you can make a case that any of these new bikes will be a pleasure, not excluding the Yamaha, but the Ducati is the hot rod of the bunch and a truly fun ride.

I have a hunch the Aprilia will be a reliable bike, but that's just based on the oder Aprilias I've owned, not the new bike. The one I rode did not have the visceral content of my Ducati however it was very enjoyable and refined.

The new bikes are all a gamble. That's why I still have the 01 GS where the Achilles heel are popularly considered to be the spline services. I fear the splines, but it's at least a job that's definable in terms I can understand.

Pampero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:00 AM   #20
R0CKETMAN
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
- '14 MTS

- a sorted earlier GS

- maybe a VFR

IF I had the issues the OP experienced and IF I lived 300+km from closest dealer I might consider something else......screw that I'd get another multi

Ducati Multistrada 1200s Pikes Peak
R0CKETMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 09:41 AM   #21
atwoodtja
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Shaft drive greatly limits your choices. If you allow for chain, and you want euro, and you have ruled out BMW based on reliability concerns, you should consider a tiger 1050 with upgraded suspension. Would be close to the mts in performance but more reliable and lighter than the 1200. Or go with the new vstrom, should be very reliable and closer in performance than the sTen is.

Or if you have a good local BMW dealer, try the new Gs, you'll be surprised how nice it rides. If you get a good one you'll hardly ever see your dealer.
Old 06-18-2014, 11:25 AM   #22
brianpc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
I agree with the "just ride it" mentality. If possible, find a good independent moto mechanic (not always possible, I grant you) and have them help with upkeep.
I don't understand the chain fear - shaft drive is great, but a chain and sprockets will serve you well for long miles with proper cleaning, lubing, and adjustments. And worst case (riding in rain, abuse, neglect, etc), you replace sprockets and chain every 30k miles for about $250 or so.

Or, sell it and throw the $$ towards a '14 or '15 multi. :)

The new Aprilia looks ok, but I wish they'd use the Tuono V4 and not the Dorsoduro V Twin. if they had a V4 Caponord I'd seriously consider one - the Tuono is great but just too aggressive for me.

If you actually plan on doing dirt or excessive unpaved trail / fire road riding, look seriously at a KTM 1190. Might want to wait for the '15 models, but after test riding one, it's a serious contender to the Multi with some true offroad capability.

Or, you can be like everybody else and get that new R1200GS. :)
brianpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #23
Yossarian™
Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer: 9,590
Less.

As in, "do more with less."

It seems that all the bikes being discussed here are 1000+ cc machines.

Other than the 1190, anything other then the Multi will be down on power, so just accept that as a given, and learn to live with 2/3 or 1/2 the power of the Multi, and realize that it's not as big a hindrance as one might think.

Go smaller, lighter, simpler.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:18 PM   #24
SevenFifty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
I'm sticking to the Multi I have, for the trade-in value the turds are offering around here, I could fix the Multi every winter and still have money to spare, and it's a blast every time I ride as long as nothing happens...
Thanks for many good tips, it's fun to discuss different bikes and the options out there, I could probably do with a smaller engine, but it's a bit going the wrong direction, had a discussion with a riding buddy at lunch today, he has a K1300GT, a Gixxer, a ZX10R trackbike, a KTM 690 Enduro R, and just bought a Street Triple R for street legal trackdays, and he is selling the kawa and the Gixxer because the tracks around here are to slow for 1000cc bikes, and he also said to keep the Multi, and if I trade, then should get a touring/adventure and something like the Street Triple for blasts around locally and a few trackdays, so I might consider that option in the future....

Now I'm just longing for the alps and Italy again next summer, this summer I'm riding to the North Cape in mid July, had to change my travel plan a little due to a motorcycle gathering/rally/meeting that I'm visiting, my intentionanl plan was to do Trollstigen, Geiranger, the Atlantic Road, then the coastal road from Trondheim to Bodø, and then ferry to Lofoten, after that North Cape, but now I'm skipping the best parts, and drive Norway from Trondheim. I think it would be enough of Norway any way, twice the price and half the fun compared to the Alps....
SevenFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:27 PM   #25
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 338
Offtopic:

You are from Sweden I see. I was thinking of travelling to the north of Norway (is that North Cape? I still have to research it a bit) So you say Norway is expensive? Better to do the alps?
Old 06-18-2014, 03:32 PM   #26
SevenFifty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARiderX View Post
Offtopic:

You are from Sweden I see. I was thinking of travelling to the north of Norway (is that North Cape? I still have to research it a bit) So you say Norway is expensive? Better to do the alps?
I'm actually Norwegian, my heritage is from Karasjok, a small village about 250km south of north cape, but I've been living in Sweden for thirteen years...

Norway:

Fantastic scenery/landscape/ocean view , if you have the weather on your side...
The speed limits are among the slowest, but speeding fines are about the most expensive in the world...
Road quality is poor at times...
Decent food at restaurants, local beer is OK, but don't be surprised if you have to pay an arm and a leg for a plain dinner, 25-30€ for main dish and up if you don't eat at the fast food joint, expensive there too, a 200 gr. burger would set you back around 12-15€, then the same for a pint...
Camping/hotels close to anything worth seeing is expensive, expect 30€ and up for a tent spot.

Alps:
No oceanside views, but amazing scenery anyway, weather is a factor here too, but the odds are a lot better...
Amazing forest roads, mountain passes, you can drive for months on a new road every day, and still there is a lot to see... I don't know where your from, but from the Mosel area and all the way to the Mediterranean sea there is great roads.. We did the Mosel, Saar, Black Forrest, Stelvio, Gavia, Lake Garda, Venice, Dolomities, Grossglockner, Zell am See and Salzburg, and the autobahn home again...
Germany, speed limits, 100Km/t on any country road, it's almost impossible to speed if you are taking in the views, Austria and Italy are lower speed limits, but still not like Norway...
Beer, Wine and food is excellent at most of the restaurants you feel like visiting by the first impression, if you don't like the first one, the next one is not far away....

I would have gone south again this summer if it wasn't for a wedding that I have to attend....
SevenFifty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 01:18 PM   #27
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pampero View Post
I have a hunch the Aprilia will be a reliable bike, but that's just based on the oder Aprilias I've owned, not the new bike. The one I rode did not have the visceral content of my Ducati however it was very enjoyable and refined.

My statement regarding the probable reliability of the Aprilia is a reasoned extrapolation based on the current dorsoduro and the general lack of problem topics here and on dedicated aprilia forums. I have mentioned it in another topic here.

We will see if that turns out to be true, but so far so good. The bike has been out since 2013 and remarkably low number of complaints if any...
Old 06-21-2014, 07:37 AM   #28
srelegante
srelegante

Oddometer: 190
Wink Tiger 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudecati View Post
I went through the same thing. Within the last week I sold my 2011 MTS 1200S Sport and bought a new 2012 (leftover but no miles) Triumph Tiger 800. I could not be happier. Loving the new bike, fewer concerns about electronic gadgets. Just adding in my 2 cents.
Amen brother. Or buy a 1050, put 2k in suspension, get a DR650, and take your wife to Italy with the difference.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:51 AM   #29
ARiderX
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SevenFifty View Post
I'm actually Norwegian, my heritage is from Karasjok, a small village about 250km south of north cape, but I've been living in Sweden for thirteen years...

Norway:

Fantastic scenery/landscape/ocean view , if you have the weather on your side...
The speed limits are among the slowest, but speeding fines are about the most expensive in the world...
Road quality is poor at times...
Decent food at restaurants, local beer is OK, but don't be surprised if you have to pay an arm and a leg for a plain dinner, 25-30€ for main dish and up if you don't eat at the fast food joint, expensive there too, a 200 gr. burger would set you back around 12-15€, then the same for a pint...
Camping/hotels close to anything worth seeing is expensive, expect 30€ and up for a tent spot.

Alps:
No oceanside views, but amazing scenery anyway, weather is a factor here too, but the odds are a lot better...
Amazing forest roads, mountain passes, you can drive for months on a new road every day, and still there is a lot to see... I don't know where your from, but from the Mosel area and all the way to the Mediterranean sea there is great roads.. We did the Mosel, Saar, Black Forrest, Stelvio, Gavia, Lake Garda, Venice, Dolomities, Grossglockner, Zell am See and Salzburg, and the autobahn home again...
Germany, speed limits, 100Km/t on any country road, it's almost impossible to speed if you are taking in the views, Austria and Italy are lower speed limits, but still not like Norway...
Beer, Wine and food is excellent at most of the restaurants you feel like visiting by the first impression, if you don't like the first one, the next one is not far away....

I would have gone south again this summer if it wasn't for a wedding that I have to attend....
Alps it is then! A shame because Norway is supposed to be astonishing, but price wise pretty expensive it seems. I've done a long trip with my ktm once, fully loaded, so pretty thirsty (for what is already a thirsty bike). There were days I had to pay 100 euro a day in fuel (three stops a day) in Europe where fuel is expensive. It adds up quickly, so if I have to add 40 euro a day for food and drinks and 30 for a camping spot (what does a cheap hotel cost I wonder??), that would average out to 200 euro a day. A bit steep. I guess the Alps is more value for money!
Old 06-21-2014, 08:05 PM   #30
pazzo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
Yeah, I made the mistake of selling a 2012 GS for the 2013 MTS.
Nice bike, but I had several issues, including expanding tank, electrical issues with the cluster/fob, false neutrals between 5-6gear (shift fork - same issue on the Monster), rear brake fade, all leading me to second guess the build quality.

Going back to the GS, due in a few weeks.
pazzo is offline   Reply With Quote