Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2014, 07:45 PM   #1
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Oddometer: 3,760
Once more into the Baja.

Updates:
Mala B. and I have reached critical mass on our savings for this, and our trip is fully funded! So we are 100% GO!

Also, we now have 2 seats sold, the riders have sent deposit. We still have maybe 1 seat in the truck, and room for about 3 bikes depending on size. I can also put you on the standby list in case someone drops out.

Baja 2015 is a go for Myself and Mala Bunny. Per usual we are going to offer rider and bike transport from N.E. Ohio to the border.

We will be hauling bikes in this rather large crew cab Isuzu FSR:

It is big enough inside the cab for 4 people to comfortably stretch out, the rear seat is enormous compared to a 1 ton crew cab, and it actually folds out into a bed (seriously it's freaking huge). The bed is 14' long, and has 3' tall wood sides, so it can haul several bikes with plenty of room for gear. The deck is about 4' off the ground, so even though it is not enclosed between the height and the sides bikes will be subjected to very little road spray, if any.

At this time we have NOT nailed down a precise date that is more specific than... *edit* we are departing Ohio on Thursday morning, February 19th, earlier than originally planned. Rotating drivers we should then be in San Felipe sometime Saturday the 21st. Return would be two weeks later.

*see edit* Destination for the tow vehicle will be Kiki's in San Felipe.We will be storing the truck there, but could still drop a bije or two off in Yuma. So you could really do a desert southwest USA trip if you don't want to go into Mexico, hey whatever. *edit* We are leaning toward taking the truck all the way to San Felipe as we have done in the past. That does not mean someone couldn't get out in Yuma if they wanted.

Are we offering to plan the trip and be your tour guides? Absolutely not, we are offering to help you get from the cold, frozen, wet part of the northern Midwest to San Felipe with your bike, and back. We will happily haul you and your motorcycle round trip for a cash contribution and doing a shift of driving. If you happen to want to go the same way you are welcome to tag along, but what you do across the border is up to you. Just be back at the truck when it is time to head home. However for the Baja Noob we can make some recomendations on getting your insurance for Mexico, travel visa, and other stuff. Check the Baja Info Thread (also in my signature).

Will we take your bike down so you can fly down? Sure, as a matter of fact there is an Amtrak station in Yuma. We used it to get to LA last May and found it fun and affordable. If you do this it will be your responsibility to get from the airport/trainstation to the truck to fetch your bike without holding us up for a day. Again just be back at the truck (or have your bike there) when it is time to head home.

How long will we be gone? Approximately 2 weeks. We will leave NE Ohio on a Thursday, rotate drivers, and be in San Felipe on Saturday. We have done it before and made it all the way to San Felipe in as little as 36 hours. Return trip will be the same drill, planning to leave on Friday to be home Sunday. See the route here.

Price for hauling you and your bike round trip to the border to get away from the fluffy white bullshit called "snow"? $800. Sound too high? Compare it to the cost of shipping your bike round trip with a motorcycle shipper and buying a plane ticket. Yes you could throw the bike in your pickup truck and do it yourself for about the same, but 2,200 miles is a lot of driving. Yes you could ride your bike all the way for cheaper, but then you have to deal with weather, and it will take you 4 days to get to the border. So this is not for everyone, duh. It is for the rider who wants to go ride Mexico or the southwest of the USA in February but does not have an extra week to kill cris-crossing the country.

Questions? Feel free to ask. You can post here, PM me via ADV, email me at muddyrabbit@ gmail.com, or even pick up the phone and call me. 44O.3I3.IO69

*EDIT 9/3/14* As long as you are here reading this, and thinking about Baja, I'd like to ask you to check out the website for Malcolm Smith's charity foundation which supports the El Oasis orphanage in northern Baja. Malcolm Smith Motorsports Foundation. If you are here on ADV you know who Malcolm is, and if you are reading this you are interested in Baja. Malcolm's foundation has been supporting the orphanage since 1995, and the work continues. It's a good cause, supported by one of our heroes, so why not make a donation?

muddyrabbit screwed with this post 11-18-2014 at 07:06 AM
muddyrabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 08:32 AM   #2
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Whatever glitch was preventing me from embedding the map has been fixed, so here is our route. I am willing to deviate off route to some degree withing reason. Like if you are in Kansas City or Memphis, that is doable, but if you are in Des Moines Iowa not so much. Now if you are in Des Moines and could get yourself closer to the route, welcome aboard!

View Larger Map
Old 08-17-2014, 01:20 PM   #3
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Firmed up our departure to February 20th.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
805gregg
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,527
It's just Baja not The Baja, it will be cold in Feb
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:31 PM   #5
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Not compared to Ohio. Loved the weather the last 3 times. Beats the hell out of 3 feet of snow, sleet, frozen sidewalks, and grey skies.
Old 08-18-2014, 07:34 PM   #6
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

And I'll call it The Baja if I want to, and you can't stop me.
Old 08-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #7
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 4,044
Baja California is divided into 2 separate states, Baja California and Baja California Sur. I have no idea as to what "The Baja" might be, but it raises red flags as to how much you think you know about Baja. Just to be straight, while it may be warmer than Ohio at the same time of year, I have been in sleet in Baja in late Feb. and at the same time have seen 4" of snow on the ground in Valle de Trinidad. Donnie Emler and other FMF riders got stuck for several days in the snow near Laguna Hanson a year or so ago. It may be warmer than Ohio but it may also present conditions where hypothermia could be a real problem.
Old 08-19-2014, 08:48 PM   #8
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

I also camped at Coco's Corner on a night it was well below freezing with hellacious winds. Sat around chatting with other travelers before hitting the sack that night. Never seems to be a shortage of riders in Baja at that time of year. One of the things we love is the random meetings with other ADVers, nearly daily. I recommend anyone planning their route be aware of the potential for weather and be prepared for it. Same as if you were going to Colorado, Alaska, or anywhere.

We have lamented how much we would love to go to Laguna Hanson, but since February is when we have free time it just seems like there is too much potential for getting snowed in, especially considering the elevation. So we just have to suffer with cool places like San Felipe and the warmer parts of the peninsula.
Old 08-19-2014, 11:02 PM   #9
gmiles
Ancient Adventurer

Oddometer: 9
Hi Muddy Rabbit- That a great service your offering. I could get real interested in this, especially if you would be spending more time down there. I've done this trip on my own several years ago and would love to do it again. I live in West Michigan and would love to escape Winters grip.

The last time I did it I had a 1200 beemer and went from Lake Havasu to Mexico 1 to Cabo and back up the mainland, it was 2500 miles and took 2 weeks. Now I have the little 250 Sherpa and just want to go down the East coast of the Baja into the more remote dirt riding areas. As the Sherpa is not too speedy I think I'll need more time.

Why don't you plan on staying down there 2 or three weeks? That would be perfect for me.

George
gmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 03:55 AM   #10
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

We are planning on 2 weeks right now, and we have talked about 3, really want to do 3, but it is tough for us. We are also thinking about doing what we have done in the past, which is driving the truck to San Felipe. That would probably be better for you with the Sherpa.
Old 08-20-2014, 06:59 AM   #11
adventurebound9517
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by muddyrabbit View Post
And I'll call it The Baja if I want to, and you can't stop me.
You tell him.
adventurebound9517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 10:57 AM   #12
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurebound9517 View Post
You tell him.
I know right? Some people just don't recognise a play on a Shakespeare quote when they see it. Although technically it should have been "Once more unto the Baja", but it just didn't sound right. I'm sure I'll now attract someone's wrath for butchering Shakespeare.
Old 08-21-2014, 07:43 AM   #13
Mala Bunny
Adventuress

Oddometer: 61
Seems to me that it doesn't matter what it's called as long as it's an adventure!

I'm not whining, I'm bitching. There's a difference!
Mala Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #14
Hill Climber
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 290
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmiles View Post
As the Sherpa is not too speedy I think I'll need more time.

George
And Gas.

I think the Sherpa has a small gas tank, doesn't it? Most bikes travelling off road, or "east coast" have a minimum 3 gal size, and even then, most carry a bit extra in a jug.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:11 AM   #15
muddyrabbit OP
Lost Boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Climber View Post
And Gas.

I think the Sherpa has a small gas tank, doesn't it? Most bikes travelling off road, or "east coast" have a minimum 3 gal size, and even then, most carry a bit extra in a jug.
Oddly I have seen more Sherpa's in the wild in Baja than I have anywhere else. I think I have seen 4 or 5 ever, 3 of those in Baja. Hmm, 2 in nearly the same place years apart come to think of it, at Gonzaga Bay.

I agree though that I would carry at least a small reserve fuel supply with that bike, and stick to the Baja mantra of "see gas, get gas". I have become less paranoid about gas since my first trip, but I have also learned that the existence of a shiny Pemex does not guarantee gas being available. "Whaddaya mean this Pemex isn't open on Wednesdays?!" That also happened in Gonzaga going north back to San Felipe, then the one in Puertocitos was also closed. A Canadian rider from Vancouver who I have met 3 times in Baja because we always happen to go at the same time (February) gave me a liter, which got me to San Felipe, although sputtering into town. He ended up getting towed the last 2 miles! Good times!