User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-08-2014, 10:57 AM   #3061
JeffS77
cheap bastard

Oddometer: 3,310
BazBro nice C15

My current project 1964 B40T.. Jeff Smith won the FIM 500cc world championship and Motocross des Nations on a bike based off the B40T .. It would ultimately become the B44

Mine is just getting a mechanical restoration but will retain its 50 year old patina..I think it gives it character
I also have had no problems with the Energy Transfer ignition on mine. Go figure.

Bsa up front

JeffS77 screwed with this post 07-08-2014 at 11:04 AM
JeffS77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 AM   #3062
Volker Schmidt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffS77 View Post
BazBro nice C15

My current project 1964 B40T.. Jeff Smith won the FIM 500cc world championship and Motocross des Nations on a bike based off the B40T .. It would ultimately become the B44

Mine is just getting a mechanical restoration but will retain its 50 year old patina..I think it gives it character
I also have had no problems with the Energy Transfer ignition on mine. Go figure.

Bsa up front

I am sure, that will be nice.......

volli
Volker Schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 01:20 PM   #3063
BazBro
Aching bones...

Oddometer: 9
And that's a nice B40, JeffS77. I'd like a B40 similar to yours as a 'bike to ride locally (loads of steep hills!).

Your 'bike is in a thousand times better condition than the C15T - this is just a small example of the corrosion...
Attached Images

BazBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 09:16 PM   #3064
GalacticGS
1200 GS Rider

Oddometer: 2,196
I could watch old racing videos all day long...

"Speak to me of summer, long winters longer than time can remember;
Setting up of other roads, travel on in old accustomed ways."
GalacticGS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #3065
oupa
Adventurer

Oddometer: 18
Okay I know this thread like so many on this site has sort of taken on a life of it's own but to answer the original questions - what bikes did you own and what influence was played by dealers - I thought I'd offer my own story.

My first bike when I was about 13 or 14 was a Honda CT-70. My family lived in a small rural town and there was a large, fairly new Honda dealership on a well traveled road to the nearest city but still far enough out to make it "in the country." This convenience definately played a role in my being able to talk my mom into stopping there so I could ogle the bikes and eventually talk her into letting me buy one with my newspaper money. The only other "dealership" was a Yamaha dealer located right in said city, and thus less likely to be visited.

Another kid moved into our little town from an outlying farm about this time, bringing his own CT-70 with him. We became fast friends in more ways than one.
My dad had a piece of vacant property on a back alley along the creek and my new buddy borrowed his dad's farm tractor, which was used to lay out a dirt track like we'd (only once) seen on NBC's "Wild World of Sports" one saturday afternoon.
Man did we rip that place up! I fell hard for flat tracking before I ever really even knew that was what I was doing. In spite of the second revelation about motorcycles - they are chick magnets - I was STILL more interested in the racing than the barely pubsecent girls who began hanging out with us... at least for a while.
I kept growing and that little bike didn't. Competition for the girls it attracted, soon destroyed the friendship that competition for bragging rights on the track never hurt.

When I turned 16 and got my driver's license, it wasn't long before I was spending the money I made working after school and Saturday's at the feed store on a new (1974) Honda XL-350. It was the black w/ red highlights and white pinstripe paint scheme, which I still think was the best looking paint Honda ever put on a bike. That Honda became "an issue" between my then girlfriend and I. It wasn't what we finally broke up over but it WAS the beginging of the end.
This bike/girl, either good or bad connection was one that would play out over and over I was to find out. It's a miricle I lived through that XL. Two years later though, after making a deal on my first Sportster (say what you will, it was the 70's and...) I reluctantly sold that Honda to a friend. Oddly I thought at the time, the guy who wanted it - and he dogged me for months about it - was a long-time Harley guy. He appearently knew what I've come to appreciate now. That is to say that after all these years and several Sportsters, I am now the happy owner of another Honda, an SL 350, the predecessor of my old XL. I'm keeping my Sporty but this little Honda is shaping up to be the fun project I expected.

The racing bug? I reluctantly gave up on it around 16 years of age when I had discovered real flat track racing and the unfortunate fact that it is essentially a small guy's game. By 16 I was already 6-4, and ended up six foot - six inches tall. Just slightly too lanky for serious sideways racing. At least that was the prevailing attitude back in the day. The female issues haven't gone away though and unfortunately my present wife ain't a fan. A situation not helped by me breaking my leg on one two years ago, doing pretty much just like this guy.
oupa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2014, 01:47 PM   #3066
Scootern29
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Roger DeCoster @ Hopetown on side pipe w/downpipe.

Scootern29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:37 AM   #3067
nachtflug
infidel

Oddometer: 46,007
nachtflug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #3068
nachtflug
infidel

Old 09-14-2014, 08:47 AM   #3069
nachtflug
infidel

Old 09-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #3070
nachtflug
infidel

Old 09-14-2014, 09:08 AM   #3071
nachtflug
infidel

Old 09-22-2014, 04:42 AM   #3072
Tex_Aus
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Great pics nachtflug, where were they taken?

Tex
Tex_Aus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 09:16 AM   #3073
Clay Spinner
Woodfire or Bust

Oddometer: 587

Clay Spinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 10:39 AM   #3074
nachtflug
infidel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex_Aus View Post
Great pics nachtflug, where were they taken?

Tex
thanks. they were taken at Alex Snoops annual vintage day ride in Warwick NY. Which happens to be here in Orange County, but don't hold it against us.

Alex is at this point world renowned as the go to man for anything Ossa.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:47 PM   #3075
New Braunfels Kidd
Adventurer

Oddometer: 40
What strikes me about these old pics is how much everything has changed. It is so HUGE and modern now, that the sport of dirt biking almost seems to have been forgotten.

I picked up an issue of dirt bike magazine last week and it struck me that if your bike is older than two years old and does not have bright colored grips your of of touch.

It seems so much more commercial now, or I am just "out of touch, LOL

NBK