ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2014, 06:12 PM   #16
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
81, you have a PM..
Old 07-19-2014, 06:49 PM   #17
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 934

This is so surreal to me; that is the view from my high school. From the Methow Valley News caption attached to this photo:

"Picture taken from the fire incident command center at Liberty Bell High School today. We have been trying to keep things updated as much as possible despite some challenging communication issues, the most problematic being that we have no power at the MV News office and our cell phones don't always work well, if at all. I'm proud of my staff for finding ways (Ann McCreary wrote her story last night by longhand with a flashlight for illumination; Darla Hussey posted it from her cell phone). We are working on a plan to publish a newspaper next week, which will require some innovative technical strategies. And electricity. We appreciate your interest and support ... this is a tough time for anyone who loves this valley. We all know someone who has lost a home or has been displaced by evacuations. As always, the Methow community will pull together to help one another through it ... one of the qualities that makes this place special. -- Don Nelson, publisher/editor."

81forest screwed with this post 07-19-2014 at 07:12 PM
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:14 PM   #18
Wenduro
Agenda 21 Refugee

Oddometer: 1,839
I'm glad to see our government is such a prodigious steward of our land and their ability to plan ahead is extraordinary. Top. Men.
Wenduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 07:27 PM   #19
SOP Dirt-Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 664
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenduro View Post
I'm glad to see our government is such a prodigious steward of our land and their ability to plan ahead is extraordinary. Top. Men.
??? Lets keep this thread free of ideals and filled with ways to help those who have great need.
Old 07-19-2014, 08:10 PM   #20
Sethro303
Master of Disaster

Oddometer: 281
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wenduro View Post

I don't see your ass out there trying to make a difference. Why don't you bring water, food and clothing to the hundreds of people who are now homeless. Troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://www.urbandictionary.com/
Sethro303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:11 PM   #21
thetourist
Just passing thru

Oddometer: 3,974
Here is a site I use for checking fires.

http://www.nifc.gov/fireInfo/nfn.htm

Lots of stuff burning. New fire southeast of Spokane already thousands of acres. If it gets to the fields, look out.
8000 acres in Hells Canyon near Pittsburg Landing.
A bunch of fires in OR around Mitchell, Shaniko, etc.
thetourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:44 AM   #22
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Lots of fires burning throughout the region, just like every bad fire year. But this one is different, for me anyway. Update via fb from a local resident, posted one hour ago:

"...spent the afternoon driving around the Methow and down to Pateros to get a sense of what has happened. It is intense, people. What you can see from twisp and Winthrop doesn't begin to describe what the landscape now looks like south of Carlton. It is like a blackened moonscape on both sides of the road. It seems that most houses did survive, but occasionally, mostly south of Methow, there is simply a foundation with a lonely chimney standing in the middle. For several miles, the telephone/power poles are blackened stumps, and the power lines hang twisted and blackened in mid air, or lie like ropes on the ground. Above Carlton, & up Libby Creek, giant plumes of smoke still rise. Word at the Carlton general store was that Vinton Road was the source of one of these plumes. We continued onto Pateros, a scene of devastation. It seems that the fire mostly limited itself to a two block area, but everything in that area not made of stone or metal is simply gone. The metal itself is twisted, charred and disfigured not quite beyond recognition. It is easy to see what used to be a washing machine or dryer or refrigerator or a spiral staircase, even in their blackened and twisted state. It was incredibly poignant. A Reporter from Spokane who spoke with us had just come from Chilliquist. He said the devastation was worse there, as they had again no warning before evacuation. Most of the houses were charred, and dead cows were in the road. Back in twisp, the streets were mostly empty. In Winthrop, the sound of the blues festival seemed incongruous, as did the sight of tourists with lawn chairs walking towards the festival. It is all so surreal. Came back down to twisp after some hot dogs with Jim and Kathleen, and drove out a little ways to see what I can see. Sitting here at the Twisp airport, next to the runway, I can see Benson Creek fully in flames, the entire hillside glowing like the embers of a campfire. It still feels far away, but of course not far enough."

81forest screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 12:54 AM
Old 07-20-2014, 12:56 AM   #23
MasterMarine
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by 81forest View Post
Not so lucky.

A friend just posted this:
"The Carlton complex is now the largest fire in the recorded history of Washington State. In 1902 the Yacolt Burn toasted almost 239,000 acres...Our fire topped 215K this morning and will easily take the top spot."
That looks like the Alta Lake Golf Course just outside Pateros. My ex-brother-in-law lost his house out there. My sister sent me pics and all that is left is some of the brick work.
MasterMarine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 01:37 AM   #24
Dustinvan
Adventurer

Oddometer: 36
My landlord has a sheep ranch up Mc Farland creek rd and a cabin up the steep hill from twisp river/ poorman creek rd. I sent an email as this was all blowing up but never heard back. I can only hope she and all her animals are safe.
Dustinvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #25
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Twisp now at level 1

Better news this morning, Twisp has been downgraded to evacuation level 1. I am no longer getting updates from people in the valley for obvious reasons, but I do read that several fire lines are holding.

Throughout the valley, people are in survival mode and it is going to be a very tough week with no electricity and uncertainty about gas for generators. Reminds me of how much we take for granted!

One friend who lives in Kent took it upon herself to stuff her car full of essentials and drive to Carlton yesterday. See if this doesn't inspire:

"Hi everyone! Well we made a successful trip into the valley today and dropped a great amount of supplies at the cove and jill Scotts behind the Carlton store. I an on my way back to Kent. I saw some great things and some really sad things as well as I got an understanding of what we need out there and where we need it. Here is my personal opinion: I think you should take stuff to the cove in Twisp AND directly down to Carlton for the people in Carlton and south of Carlton. so many people between Carlton and methow are hunkered down in their homes with nothing and not many want to drive because of the lack of gas.
I think that generators are a must asap so people can eat and shower.
They ALL need flash lights, batteries and possibly propane to cook.
Sun showers spread out down the valley would be a God sent. Especially deodorant wipes and soaps. If I were you, I'd have some go to The Cove to be distributed to the people from twisp to Winthrop and send some to The sight I set up today Down at Jill Scotts for people Carlton to methow.. We also need flashights, batteries, baby formula, non perishable food, paper plates and plastic utinsels at both locations.

I an working to set up wifi and showers at my Dads in Carlton (Larry brown) and will gadly accept donations down there. I will let u know when this is ready.

I talked to REI today who are working on getting some stuff out there.

I hope that helps."

81forest screwed with this post 07-20-2014 at 02:23 PM
Old 07-20-2014, 11:44 AM   #26
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

If you have any of the items mentioned above or anything else you would like to donate, it's as easy as a drive to kent! Here is her latest post, her name is Lynn Brown, and btw, she is a rider like us.

"Remember that people on the west side can deliver items to my house if they want and i'll find a way to get them over. People are wanting to help take stuff over...AND....wanting to donate. You can use my place as an option.
My address is 20429 100th ave se , kent
Drop it on the lawn if you want..."

She posted this publicly on Facebook so I feel ok about pasting up her address here. I will be making a little trip myself shortly. So far she is funding her efforts by credit card, so I'm sure that donations are more than welcome too.
Link to her Facebook: https://m.facebook.com/lynn.brown.10?fref=nf
Old 07-20-2014, 12:26 PM   #27
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,909
Two really cool visualizations posted on the Chelan County Emergency Management facebook page. Really gives a perspective on what has/is happening. Who ever put these together is brilliant. I'm here in Chelan, and so many of my coworkers have lost homes who live Pateros and the lower Methow - the high school is being used to house refugees and pets, the rodeo grounds is housing large animals.

This winter the snows didn't arrive until late Jan/early Feb, but it fell mostly in the mountains - our sagebrush steppes received very little, which means that the usual moisture reserves are not there. During my early hikes it was alarming how dry the conditions were back in April and May. Some of my favorite places are going up in smoke and this is quite early in the fire season :-( I've been worried since last winter that this could be a bad year. I used to work as a fire lookout overlooking Aeneas Valley - 4 seasons and never saw anything like this (thank god).

Published on Jul 19, 2014
A fly through of the public MODIS+VIIRS Fire Data from the US Forest Service for the Carlton Complex Fire in Washington State. Includes a replay of the data over the past few days. The fly through starts at Brewster and Pateros, and then flies around the area including Alta Lake, Chelan, Methow, Carlton, Twisp, Winthrop, Malott, Okanogan, Omak.
You can download the raw data, including Google Earth data, used to create this video from the US Forest Serivce: http://bit.ly/FSFireData

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:40 PM   #28
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Svizzerams, those images are very cool. Great to hear your perspective on the conditions as well, I had no idea it was such an unusual winter out there. As you said, it's still early in the fire season!

Here is the link for donations that Lynn brown set up: http://www.youcaring.com/help-a-neig...ef-fund/206282
Old 07-20-2014, 01:39 PM   #29
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,909
Yep - mother nature's rules out here - today wind and temps are reasonable - hope it keeps it up for a few more days.

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #30
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterMarine View Post
That looks like the Alta Lake Golf Course just outside Pateros. My ex-brother-in-law lost his house out there. My sister sent me pics and all that is left is some of the brick work.
This pic of the Alta Lake Golf Course from the Wenatchee World: