User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2009, 03:36 AM   #61
ADV8
Taumarunui..Darwin..

Oddometer: 2,110
Excellent thread.

Les .. 1968 Husqvarna MF250 and MF360 - 1971 Norton Commando Fastback - 1973 Kawasaki H2A - 1973 Ducati 750 GT - 1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado - 1974 Kawasaki H2B - 1974 Triumph TR5T Trophy Trail - 1981 Ducati 900 SD - 1986 Husqvarna 400 WR - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 1998 Suzuki TL1000S - 2007 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S - 2008 Suzuki DR780.
ADV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 08:41 PM   #62
HugoBLISS
here and gone....

Oddometer: 69
HugoBLISS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:17 PM   #63
anonny
What could go wrong?

Oddometer: 5,456
Nice build on a cool bike, well worth bringing up to the front once more.

71- 450 Honda CL re & re

Just another pathetic sheep following the herd

anonny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 09:52 PM   #64
DesmoDog OP
Desmo's my dog

Oddometer: 596
Thanks. I hadn't realized it had been so long ago that I posted this thread. I went back and read some of the posts and noticed it was 8 years ago today that I started working on it.

I'm afraid I didn't ride the bike much at all this past summer. I never did get around to fixing all the things that I thought I would - since it's been a runner I haven't done much more than change the oil on it. The exhaust still needs to be replaced. The gauges still need to be restored - in fact the tach needle broke off in 2009! I noticed the last couple times I rode it that the clutch is slipping... basically the bike needs some TLC. I'm also considering collecting parts to take it back to more of a stock appearance, I dunno, we'll see.

I'm guessing you got here via my 160 thread that I updated tonight? That bike is my main focus now. It's been sitting for far too long and I think I can have it on the road this summer. Then maybe the 750 will get some of the attention it deserves.
DesmoDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:51 PM   #65
captain pabst
b00n

Oddometer: 22
great thread. found the valvetrain very interesting. was curious how much would you say you are in $ wise if you dont mind asking. i think the motor would scare me away on that thing ive only rebuild thumpers.
captain pabst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #66
DesmoDog OP
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain pabst View Post
great thread. found the valvetrain very interesting. was curious how much would you say you are in $ wise if you dont mind asking. i think the motor would scare me away on that thing ive only rebuild thumpers.
I've got roughly (are you kidding, my wife may see this) into the bike at this point, but like I said it's not "done" yet.

I'm rebuilding a Ducati single right now and it's a lot easier to deal with than the twin was. I've got two more singles to work on after that, and then I think I'm done with old Ducatis??? Or more likely, by the time I've finished with them, the current bikes will be old so I'll be playing with them instead.

DesmoDog screwed with this post 08-19-2014 at 07:26 PM
Old 07-29-2014, 04:43 PM   #67
DesmoDog OP
Desmo's my dog

Forgive the zombie thread but I've been working on bike stuff and thought I'd give an update on this one. This bike hasn't seen much use recently. I had intended on continuing to work on it and "finishing" it but other projects took priority. Then it needed some maintenance done and I parked it until I "got around to it". Finally this spring I decided to get it back on the road in good running condition… so I could sell it.

I changed the oil, replaced the battery, fixed a few little things that had been bugging me, and took it out one morning. Got to our destination and discovered one of the "750" badges was now swinging by one mounting post. The good news is, up until then I was happy with it, and pleasantly surprised at how well it ran. I had forgotten what it felt like. I pulled the badge off the rest of the way and stuffed it into my tank bag.

On the way home I realized the headlight was turned off, so I switched it on. Not much later, the bike felt like it was running out of gas. I knew that wasn't happening, so… uh oh. From experience with a broken wire, I know when the battery gets low the ignition starts to drop out. I turned the headlight off and made it back. When I got home I put a voltmeter on the (new) battery, and yep, it was low.

Back into the shop. I decided I couldn't sell it in non-rideable condition, so it was time to upgrade the charging system. It's a known weakness on these 40 year old bikes so there are a few fixes out there for it. I went with a new rotor with rare earth magnets, keeping the stock stator and aftermarket regulator.

Last weekend I finally had time to install it.

The stock rotor in place

Stock compared to new

New part in place with hylomar applied

That fix went easier than expected so I got inspired and took care of a couple other things. I traced an oil leak to the intake rocker cover on the rear cylinder. I pulled that off and found I had used a new school metal gasket with a ridge formed into it. I had some old school gaskets around for my 900ss and they fit (20+ years later, parts still interchange), so I installed one of those with the last of my hylomar and hopefully that's fixed.

Then I sat staring at the bare chain. The original chain guard was torn up so I had bought another off of ebay. I didn't like how it fit though, so I left it off until I could find a better replacement. I never liked not having one on there, so I gave the ebay part another try. A little work with a file and it fits well enough. I like it a lot better than not having one and wonder why the heck I didn't do this years ago.

Finally I reinstalled the badge with automotive trim tape. Luckily the paint hadn't been damaged when it came loose.

But, I screwed up. The trim tape makes the badge stand off of the sidecover just a little. I didn't put any on the corner of the "7" though, so now that corner is just waiting to get caught on a pant leg or something and getting torn off.

Looks like I'll be getting out the dental floss and pulling the badge off again to re-do that one.

Then onto ordering a headlight gasket so I can finally use the stock headlight. I repainted the shell and got a new trim ring years ago, it's about damn time I use them.

And if I do all that, I may as well get some slightly taller bars while I'm at it. That should bring me almost to the end of the riding season here, and I can't get the bike out of my shop if there's snow on the ground, which would give me time to have the gauges restored (finally) and maybe even upgrade the exhaust. I'll have to think about that.

And I'll have to give the whole "sell it" idea a bit more thought too.
Old 07-30-2014, 01:23 PM   #68
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,210
Sometimes I think my motorcycle owns me.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 09:22 PM   #69
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,104
Dog, it may well be the best idea you've had lately(apart from revisiting the 750 project) is reevaluating your desire to sell it. I don't know you, I haven't ridden a bevel (or any Ducati, for that matter), but the revelation you experienced on that ride with the sun at your back has me believing with near certainty that you would regret profoundly (and likely permanently) selling that bike.

My dad had a Gullwing Mercedes he bought cheap, and sold when prices became dazzling in the late '70's. The regret for doing so remains to this day.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:59 AM   #70
Barnwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Its been several years now since I sold my 75 GT750 and I have not really regretted it. I had fun bringing it back, riding it for a number of years, and just looking at that roundcase engine. But the market value increased so much that I couldn't enjoy riding it without worrying "something" would happen. It just aint fun if you really can't dump it. I recently read a Walneck's article that might just have convinced me to rotate the stable more often. See: http://www.michaelsmotorcycles.com/walnecksarticle.html
We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous.
Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:17 AM   #71
drhach
gorillamanufacturing.com

Oddometer: 2,210
That was a really nice article. That guy seems like the real deal.
drhach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:53 AM   #72
DesmoDog OP
Desmo's my dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnwell View Post
Its been several years now since I sold my 75 GT750 and I have not really regretted it. I had fun bringing it back, riding it for a number of years, and just looking at that roundcase engine. But the market value increased so much that I couldn't enjoy riding it without worrying "something" would happen.
I'm not worried so much about something happening to the bike. For me, I'm finding that I think more about what I could do with the money than I do about having/riding the bike. A 900ss I used to own shows up for sale every once in a while and I find it harder to ignore each time I see it… and I've been missing having a convertible, and I've always wanted a….
Old 08-08-2014, 10:59 AM   #73
Florida Lime
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,082
Thanks for bringing this back up, or I would never have seen it !

I tend to stay out of Old's Cool so that I DON"T think about getting any more projects.

I looked at buying a new 750GT back in 1972/73, but I didn't have a good feeling about the closest (50 miles away)Ducati dealer actually being a used car lot with one new Ducati in the office. I thought about buying one again when I bought my new 748 years later - I thought it would be interesting to have the 2 bikes 25 years apart. I never found the right 750, and then the prices started going up, and up.

I enjoyed being on this 'ride'.
'08 Ducati Hypermotard 1100S -- Going, still for sale.
Florida Lime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 02:31 PM   #74
Skowinski
Chordate

Oddometer: 4,807
Wow, what a transformation, great job!

Most people would look at what you brought home and think "no way...".

"Nature never hurries, yet everything is accomplished."
- Lao Tsu

In memory of Nika: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=990697
Skowinski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #75
Barnwell
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
In fact I had the same feeling and used the proceeds to get my first modern bike (2007 Triumph Tiger which has since morphed into a 2011 Sprint GT) past my wife.
We remember the Freeman. We are coterminous.
Barnwell is offline   Reply With Quote