Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-03-2014, 09:32 PM   #1771
BIG ED XT FAN
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,184
Wicked XS 650 Stuff.??

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter_greyghost View Post
Hello - is anyone out there?, been quiet of late, not booked in for another rally until 30/31 August, the mighty 'TTT' - "Trasher's Terrifying Trek"

One of the best [& hardest] rallys to do in Ozzie land, this year is an OCR [Off Centre Rally] year, so there'll be some good yarns from the survivers
It's up at Drysdale River Station [west of Wyndham], top end of Western Australia, some gut busting roads up that way
So come on you Northern Hemisphere fellas - where's all ya ride reports?
Cheers
Baza
I been lay-up with a bad toe.
Gone on the 23 of june, just getting back to work.
Pick-up a 650 XS enduro bike. Has yz 490 forks, small fuel tank, etc. No photos yet just getting to un stick parts. Front wheel was like welded on. Had to cut front cable, and pound the front axle out.
I got a Front hub off my TT600. Bolts right in. Thanks Yamaha.
Also havce a small pile of new parts for my 1# 650. New rear tire, swingarm bolt, front fork brace, swingarm bushes. Well thats it for now.
I got my good friend coming next week, We will get all the stuff on too. Oh a new battery too this week.
Now if only stop rainingIts like rain for 3-4 days this week, with great flooding!! I rode for 3 hours in a car today, i never seen rain come down so hard, people were stopping under bridges to get out of it.
BIG ED XT FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2014, 03:51 AM   #1772
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer: 7,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG ED XT FAN View Post
I been lay-up with a bad toe.
Gone on the 23 of june, just getting back to work.
Pick-up a 650 XS enduro bike. Has yz 490 forks, small fuel tank, etc. No photos yet just getting to un stick parts. Front wheel was like welded on. Had to cut front cable, and pound the front axle out.
I got a Front hub off my TT600. Bolts right in. Thanks Yamaha.
Also havce a small pile of new parts for my 1# 650. New rear tire, swingarm bolt, front fork brace, swingarm bushes. Well thats it for now.
I got my good friend coming next week, We will get all the stuff on too. Oh a new battery too this week.
Now if only stop rainingIts like rain for 3-4 days this week, with great flooding!! I rode for 3 hours in a car today, i never seen rain come down so hard, people were stopping under bridges to get out of it.
Jeez, them bad toes are no fun, had an infected foot back '10 - when Bev & I were building the house, missed out on two rallys because of it & took weeks to heal,
Thought everyone up your way would been out riding heaps during summer, I've done a few during winter but had both bikes playing up, bloody camchains!,
Looking forward to spring & some decent riding weather, been in the minuses here lately, and with windchill factor it's been pretty ordinary - plenty of workshop time happening!
Get some photos of that 'Adventure' XS, sounds interesting
Cheers
Baza
hunter_greyghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:54 PM   #1773
SpeedFourJoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
I just did a paint job on my '79 Special.

SpeedFourJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:31 PM   #1774
retiredgentleman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Nice bike Joe!

That's just a super well done job on your bike. Great detail and love the colour.

Why don't you become a member over at http://www.xs650.com/forum/. The lads over there would really enjoy seeing your bike.
retiredgentleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:39 PM   #1775
10ecjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Wow

Cool ride. Love those trials tires. Can't put them on my special. Damn 16in rear rim. Did you make the skid plate? If you did, out of what?
Great job man.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:47 AM   #1776
MightyChosen1
I wanna be sedated

Oddometer: 1,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFourJoe View Post
I just did a paint job on my '79 Special.

Nice job! Whats the front fender and seat off?
Old 08-16-2014, 07:11 AM   #1777
SpeedFourJoe
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredgentleman View Post
That's just a super well done job on your bike. Great detail and love the colour.

Why don't you become a member over at http://www.xs650.com/forum/. The lads over there would really enjoy seeing your bike.
Thanks! I've got some great info from that forum, but have never registered. I might have to some time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10ecjed View Post
Cool ride. Love those trials tires. Can't put them on my special. Damn 16in rear rim. Did you make the skid plate? If you did, out of what?
Great job man.
Mine came with the 16" rear, so I swapped to the 18". I made the skid plate from a road sign.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MightyChosen1 View Post
Nice job! Whats the front fender and seat off?
The front fender is from a '71 DT1. I think any '68-'73 AT/CT/DT/RT fender should be the same. I made adapter brackets from an old XS fender. The seat is from a '72-'73 Kawasaki G5 100 with a Pit Replica reproduction cover.
SpeedFourJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2014, 05:00 AM   #1778
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedFourJoe View Post
Thanks! I've got some great info from that forum, but have never registered. I might have to some time.
Mine came with the 16" rear, so I swapped to the 18". I made the skid plate from a road sign.
The front fender is from a '71 DT1. I think any '68-'73 AT/CT/DT/RT fender should be the same. I made adapter brackets from an old XS fender. The seat is from a '72-'73 Kawasaki G5 100 with a Pit Replica reproduction cover.

Very nicely done, looks great,
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-01-2014, 04:18 AM   #1779
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Had a blast on the weekend, went & did the 'TTT' rally, it was pretty wet road-wise, pretty treacherous in places

Turnoff to the 'walk-in-the-woods'

A hint of what's to come!

Left hand side was about crankcase deep, nice little surprise

In and set-up, Doc has a good shot of my sliding stop, not as good as some though!

Crampy & his R80

Gordy's mighty CB250, who needs knobs, road tyres are good

Mick & Pete

Mudcrab & Doctor doing a fashion parade of the latest headwear

So close but so far, first of several grand entrances

Duckslider giving 'up-right' riding advice

Cagiva rider making a sedate entrance
Big thanks to Trasher & Sonia for another top weekend

Thunder Dan, rides a very cool & well setup 650 Transalp Honda,

This photo is from the 'Thunder' rally last year

TVR girls - Tracy & 'Leafy', Mick, Doctor, TigerMick, Gordy, Duckslider, ADpete & Strudy
Log of Knowledge was in top form - apart from a couple of well known 'absentees' - 'fati & Godsilla

The ploughed paddock is caused by wild pigs that roam the area, they do heaps of damage

And they kept rollin' in
Cheers
Baza

hunter_greyghost screwed with this post 09-01-2014 at 02:38 PM
Old 09-01-2014, 06:02 AM   #1780
10ecjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Ttt

Cool. Glad someone is riding.
Good pics. Always enjoy them.
I've been in this moving process the last few weeks along with other stuff and did not getting ride until last Tuesday. I was so happy to do y commute on two wheels. At least until I got on Rt 70 east.
I was doing about 80mph, then going up a hill and could not get over 70. I thought I lost another diaphragm in one carb. But then I couldn't get over 65 going down hill. Then 55. Oh no. Got off at exit and left rear wheel bearing is smoking. Well I didn't make it to work. I let it sit about an hour or so and limped home on slow roads about 20 miles. Kept checking and no smoke. Made it home and am waiting on new bearings and seals.
I'm jones ing to ride.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:32 PM   #1781
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Cool. Glad someone is riding.
Good pics. Always enjoy them.
I've been in this moving process the last few weeks along with other stuff and did not getting ride until last Tuesday. I was so happy to do y commute on two wheels. At least until I got on Rt 70 east.
I was doing about 80mph, then going up a hill and could not get over 70. I thought I lost another diaphragm in one carb. But then I couldn't get over 65 going down hill. Then 55. Oh no. Got off at exit and left rear wheel bearing is smoking. Well I didn't make it to work. I let it sit about an hour or so and limped home on slow roads about 20 miles. Kept checking and no smoke. Made it home and am waiting on new bearings and seals.
I'm jones ing to ride.

What a bummer, well at least it didn't lock up & try & unload ya!, I suppose they're sealed bearings too,
older types you used too have a regular 'pull-out-&-pack' session every whatever time,
was very relaxing - sitting packing grease into bearings, always a wet day job - with bourbon handy & good music!!!
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-01-2014, 07:08 PM   #1782
10ecjed
Gnarly Adventurer

Bearings

Quote:
What a bummer, well at least it didn't lock up & try & unload ya!, I suppose they're sealed bearings too,
older types you used too have a regular 'pull-out-&-pack' session every whatever time,
was very relaxing - sitting packing grease into bearings, always a wet day job - with bourbon handy & good music!!!
Cheers
Baza
But these sealed bearings can't be bad. I bought this cast aluminum wheel at swap meet 2 1/2 years ago and have lubed a few times.
I do feel lucky the hub dd not freeze up and dump me too. Well $84 plus shipping from mikes for both wheels. Good investment.
Question how did the 650 do in that deep mud? Looked like a lot of fun.
Old 09-02-2014, 01:15 AM   #1783
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
But these sealed bearings can't be bad. I bought this cast aluminum wheel at swap meet 2 1/2 years ago and have lubed a few times.
I do feel lucky the hub dd not freeze up and dump me too. Well $84 plus shipping from mikes for both wheels. Good investment.
Question how did the 650 do in that deep mud? Looked like a lot of fun.

Not so much deep mud, more yellow clay steep slopes & offcamber tracks with long drops off the sides!
Very hard to take photos because it gets bloody slippery & steep, and being narrow in places - you can't stop on the track & take photos
Always lots of fun doing this rally, plenty of hair raising tales once at camp, not unusual for some medivacs too, broken bones are common
"Kenny' did well, had a 38tooth cog on the rear, plus some knobbies, still hard enough to maintain a ride without dropping it, came close a few times!
Cheers
Baza
Old 09-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #1784
redfishguide
Old Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 432
Hey Baza,

Just curious how you liked the 38 tooth rear sprocket? Had one on my hack and dropped down to a 36. Lost a lot on top and was pretty dang buzzy. I'm considering dropping back to stock 34. Keep in mind that's hauling a hack.

Motor is really strong with a lot of mods so I think she might just might handle the hack with a 34.

Thanks,
Jack

Quote:
Not so much deep mud, more yellow clay steep slopes & offcamber tracks with long drops off the sides!
Very hard to take photos because it gets bloody slippery & steep, and being narrow in places - you can't stop on the track & take photos
Always lots of fun doing this rally, plenty of hair raising tales once at camp, not unusual for some medivacs too, broken bones are common
"Kenny' did well, had a 38tooth cog on the rear, plus some knobbies, still hard enough to maintain a ride without dropping it, came close a few times!
Cheers
Baza
redfishguide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 03:57 PM   #1785
hunter_greyghost
XS650 Allroads Traveller

Quote:
Originally Posted by redfishguide View Post
Hey Baza,

Just curious how you liked the 38 tooth rear sprocket? Had one on my hack and dropped down to a 36. Lost a lot on top and was pretty dang buzzy. I'm considering dropping back to stock 34. Keep in mind that's hauling a hack.

Motor is really strong with a lot of mods so I think she might just might handle the hack with a 34.

Thanks,
Jack
Bit of a problem, low gearing to compensate for steep country riding, no top end, I was doing about 5,000rpm @ 60mph [roughly], made for a slow trip on the road,
Luckily I have grafted in a gearbox out of an '80 model Special, which allows me to run an extra tooth on top gear
Depends on what sort of country you're gunna use the hack in & what the overall weight of the outfit is, I've had a sidecar on a 650 but found it a bit underpowered.
34 tooth should work on flattish country OK, as long as your clutch doesn't bug out on ya, had that happen with 650's a lot over the years
Cheers
Baza