Oddometer: 302

XT600 x 5, KLR650, XL600 , KTM525, LTR450,
jjxtrider is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 09:52 AM   #2117
kstklt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
83 XL185s

Greeting good folks! So stoked to find this thread! Shades light to my XL185s restoration project!

I got my 83 XL185s 2 years ago, this is how it looks like when i first got it. Malaysia (where i live) has bad weather for motorcycles, it's in very bad shape, but it is in running condition when i got it.

after a good wash, the 'black' front mud guard turns out to be white

The engine had been dismantled, cleaned and polished the exterior, but not too sure what else should be replaced for a complete rebuild? Need your advice guys. =)

And also, does anybody happend to have the wiring diagram for this particular model? My wire loom is really messy, I can figure out most but not sure where the wires from the CDI unit should be connect to ...

any help would be very appreciated, thank you so much guys! Help me get my bike running please. =)
kstklt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 07:14 PM   #2118
baltimoron
Adventurer

Oddometer: 17
1976 xl 350 updates

Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since my last posts with lots of hangups dealing with the old carb on this bike. I ended up going ahead and purchasing a new Mikuni carb and throttle kit from Dave at Xlint. It's all hooked up now, but as HerrDeacon mentioned, I should make sure that there isn't gas in the oil from the old leaky carb. So, I've got the oil draining now and am going to fill it tomorrow before I try to start her up.

I did somewhat of a chop job on the stock air box by removing it's holding bolts so that I could turn it inside the frame, and then using a dremel tool to cut the hole wide enough so that the new air filter fits through. Now I better not ride in the rain! I may fashion some sort of extension for this thing for down the road.

I also found a SuperTrapp exhaust on ebay for $129.00 and hooked that up... let's see what happens!
Attached Images

baltimoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #2119
Tugboat56
Adventurer

Oddometer: 55
CB/CL100 Rotor puller

About to do a top end job on my CB/CL100, and am planning on changing the cam chain. To do that, I have to remove the rotor/flywheel. Can I just use one of the rotor pullers you can rent at an auto parts place, or does it take a special puller of some sort?
Tugboat56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 02:04 PM   #2120
HerrDeacon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat56 View Post
About to do a top end job on my CB/CL100, and am planning on changing the cam chain. To do that, I have to remove the rotor/flywheel. Can I just use one of the rotor pullers you can rent at an auto parts place, or does it take a special puller of some sort?
Its a special tool, don't use the automotive type pullers as you can damage the rotor. The special tool just threads into the center of the rotor until it pops off. They aren't that expensive, usually around $10. Not sure about the CB100 but on some of the old Honda's the rear wheel axle can be used since its the same thread as the rotor.
HerrDeacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2014, 06:24 PM   #2121
jjxtrider
questionable

Ya, never use those gear pullers on a flywheel. Many good flywheels have been bent up with them , plus sometimes thecrank end gets mushroomed as well.

A local Honda dealer may have one also or just do it for you quickly (crooked ones will charge).

Old 08-12-2014, 07:48 PM   #2122
baltimoron
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baltimoron View Post
Hello Everyone,

It's been a while since my last posts with lots of hangups dealing with the old carb on this bike. I ended up going ahead and purchasing a new Mikuni carb and throttle kit from Dave at Xlint. It's all hooked up now, but as HerrDeacon mentioned, I should make sure that there isn't gas in the oil from the old leaky carb. So, I've got the oil draining now and am going to fill it tomorrow before I try to start her up.

I did somewhat of a chop job on the stock air box by removing it's holding bolts so that I could turn it inside the frame, and then using a dremel tool to cut the hole wide enough so that the new air filter fits through. Now I better not ride in the rain! I may fashion some sort of extension for this thing for down the road.

I also found a SuperTrapp exhaust on ebay for $129.00 and hooked that up... let's see what happens!

I got the bike running (with some great customer service from Xlint for the new carb, might I add) and rode it around the block, which is a serious achievement since it was not doing so well with the old carb!

I bolted on the exhaust that i bought online, and there is smoke coming out around the header pipe where it meets the engine. Is there supposed to be a gasket there? The original flanges on the stock exhaust do not fit the new header. Anyone know about this?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2014, 09:52 PM   #2123
jjxtrider
questionable

There should be a gasket, usually like a copper crush ring between the header and head. If the muffler schematic doesn't link direct, open it up and you'll see it , item #3, http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/1

Old 08-13-2014, 03:57 PM   #2124
Bendernz
Torrential

Oddometer: 528
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tugboat56 View Post
Use the rear axle - it's the same thread. I used a shifting spanner (crescent) loosely over the axle when it was threaded into the rotor and whacked it using a nylon-headed hammer. Obviously the whacking motion is away from the engine. Works just fine.
Bendernz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 05:38 PM   #2125
RPN
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Have been scanning old slides and found this favourite of mine featuring my XL600 with grey import Paris Dakar kit.
RPN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #2126
baltimoron
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjxtrider View Post
There should be a gasket, usually like a copper crush ring between the header and head. If the muffler schematic doesn't link direct, open it up and you'll see it , item #3, http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/oem-schematic/1

Thanks, jjxtrider. The website link for schematics is awesome!
Old 08-19-2014, 01:38 AM   #2127
lookfar
from the land of OZ

Oddometer: 573
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPN View Post
Have been scanning old slides and found this favourite of mine featuring my XL600 with grey import Paris Dakar kit.
That is an old pic, you were running the old "super" petrol too by the look of your white pipe.

1985 XL250R
1985 XL600R 1988 XR600
lookfar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #2128
Canadian80
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabondmatt View Post
Hi All,

I just discovered this thread, and I am slowly reading my way through it. I just scored this 1979 Honda XL250S dual sport bike in fantastic condition with really low miles. The guy I bought it from just put a TON of new parts on the bike and was really OCD about keeping it clean and masterfully tuned. The only thing I am wrestling with are some wonky electrical issues...clearly the 6v system on certain years were very fussy. Over the weekend I identified three main issues (handlebar brake lever switch broken, turn signal flash relay not working, and rear turn signals so small and dim you can't see them) and have ordered all the necessary parts to hopefully get that all sorted.

New parts on the bike include: tires and tubes, exhaust with spark arrestor muffler, battery, front and rear sprockets, chain, shocks, air filter, oil filter, fuel lines and filter, vent and drain hoses, petcock, mirrors, rear break light and turn signals, front and rear brakes, and fork tube seals and oil. I am one happy boy!
I had several XRs and a couple of XLs when I was a young lad many years ago, and I've always really missed the XLs. Now for the pics...

Beautiful XL250S! What brand and model are the exhaust and rear shocks? Where did you get them? Any numbers or labels on them?

Thanks in advance,
-Ryan
Canadian80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 06:49 PM   #2129
luckychucky
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,014
Get it Running?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstklt View Post
Greeting good folks! So stoked to find this thread! Shades light to my XL185s restoration project!

I got my 83 XL185s 2 years ago, this is how it looks like when i first got it. Malaysia (where i live) has bad weather for motorcycles, it's in very bad shape, but it is in running condition when i got it.

after a good wash, the 'black' front mud guard turns out to be white

The engine had been dismantled, cleaned and polished the exterior, but not too sure what else should be replaced for a complete rebuild? Need your advice guys. =)

And also, does anybody happend to have the wiring diagram for this particular model? My wire loom is really messy, I can figure out most but not sure where the wires from the CDI unit should be connect to ...

any help would be very appreciated, thank you so much guys! Help me get my bike running please. =)
Riding it? There is a website full of schematics, some cycle parts site. I can't remember exactly, but just search motorcycle schematics. Good luck. Looking forward to seeing your finished 185.
luckychucky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 08:51 PM   #2130
Ixheimer
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Xl175

On the subject of XL's. Great to find a thread about these fine old machines. My first bike back in the mid (late?) '70s was an XL175. I learned to ride on that little machine, much of the mileage being on dirt roads & gravel pits. I was never a racer or motocrosser, but those early years exploring the back roads of north eastern Alberta have served me well with respect to riding experience on varied terrain. My buddy had a Suzuki 185 enduro of some sort, don't recall the model but we spent many weekends tooling around in the dirt on those bikes. Our other compadres (spelling?) were tearing up the backroads on two stroke CanAms. More power than our relatively docile four strokes, but it didn't take long for most of them to blow the engines on the CanAms, the majority of them didn't last very long!

(edit) I think my pal's Suzuki was actually a 2 stroker. In any case, it was more reliable & less high strung than those CanAms with the Rotax screamers! Len was a bit partial to 2 strokes. I recall him reminiscing about a certain infamous Kawi 2 stroke triple he owned before we met through our occupation maintaining aeroplanes. Now that was a high strung crazy bike, the true definition of a 'crotch rocket'.

Climbing a hill near Cherry Grove Alberta. It took some yanking to get the front wheel off the ground near the top of the hill going almost 0 mph & I ended up sliding off the back of the bike after going over all the way. Landed on both feet and held on to it though. Only damage was a bent licence plate.

I ended up out of the country for a few years & stored the bike at my parent's place in British Columbia. Here I'm back for a visit preparing to give it a run as my Dad's brother Johnny from Winterpeg looks on.

Dad's wearing a helmet, so he must have taken it for a spin 'round the block too.

I wish I still had that old thumper.

Ixheimer screwed with this post 09-02-2014 at 07:32 PM
Ixheimer is offline   Reply With Quote