Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2014, 07:05 AM   #541
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 788
Quote:
Originally Posted by leafman60 View Post
I'm doing a Europe trip in late September and I have considered doing the Norway coast for part of it.
Lucky you. On what?

Nick
nick949eldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2014, 08:03 PM   #542
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,538
Nick, the first 10 days I will be with a group riding BMW's from the factory down through the Alps and Stelvio Pass to Mandello d L ! ( I've done that in the past.) I will be on a BMW F700GS (800 twin).

I hope to spend about another week after that and I may switch bikes for something else.

There is a slight chance, very slight that I secure a NUOVO FALCONE (!) for the week if I decide to go to Scandinavia. That may be too far for the time I'll have.
leafman60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 01:51 AM   #543
banquo

Oddometer: 50
Managed to dodge the showers and gatecrash the rally of the Austin A7 Owners Club yesterday, at the wee village of Guildtown, near Perth. Interesting to see all those tiny cars with their 750cc sidevalve engines, and those that had been tuned to the limit, with superchargers and overhead valve conversions. The stock motor has a 2 bearing crank, and water cooling by convection (no pump). One of the supercharged ones will run at up to 8000 rpm, but peaks at 70 bhp at 6200 rpm, with a completely flat torque curve from 2000 rpm. The Mighty Falcone drew some interest, and a demonstration was given several times of the slowest tickover in the world...
banquo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 03:44 AM   #544
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by banquo View Post
Managed to dodge the showers and gatecrash the rally of the Austin A7 Owners Club yesterday, at the wee village of Guildtown, near Perth. Interesting to see all those tiny cars with their 750cc sidevalve engines, and those that had been tuned to the limit, with superchargers and overhead valve conversions. The stock motor has a 2 bearing crank, and water cooling by convection (no pump). One of the supercharged ones will run at up to 8000 rpm, but peaks at 70 bhp at 6200 rpm, with a completely flat torque curve from 2000 rpm. The Mighty Falcone drew some interest, and a demonstration was given several times of the slowest tickover in the world...
I'll bet a lot of people were surprised when you told them it wasn't from the 40's. It fits right in with the 7's.

Nick
Old 07-28-2014, 05:59 AM   #545
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick949eldo View Post
I'll bet a lot of people were surprised when you told them it wasn't from the 40's. It fits right in with the 7's.

Nick
Lol

That's exactly what I was thinking as I looked at that picture!

Great design is timeless. The Mighty Falcon cuts across the ages.
Old 07-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #546
banquo

We did run a little competition to guess the age, and I don't think anyone went as far back as the 40s. The newest guess was 1961, from an official at the Motor Museum at Alford. Most people noted the telescopic forks and put it in the fifties, and the Alford man was convinced that the seat wasn't original (understandably), because what else has a swinging arm and dual rear suspension units with a sprung saddle.
The Austin Sevens were fun, especially those with sporting aspirations (pretentions?). If anyone's interested, there are some pix here.
Old 07-29-2014, 03:44 AM   #547
nick949eldo
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
We did run a little competition to guess the age, and I don't think anyone went as far back as the 40s. The newest guess was 1961, from an official at the Motor Museum at Alford. Most people noted the telescopic forks and put it in the fifties, and the Alford man was convinced that the seat wasn't original (understandably), because what else has a swinging arm and dual rear suspension units with a sprung saddle.
The Austin Sevens were fun, especially those with sporting aspirations (pretentions?). If anyone's interested, there are some pix here.
They're all gearheads so I suppose they would pick up on the shocks/forks etc.

Pics: '.....and a bit wiv a dog' - enjoyed them - thanks.

Nick
Old 07-29-2014, 04:52 AM   #548
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:

Good pics, banquo. We have Austins over here but not such a variety.

Old 08-03-2014, 06:30 AM   #549
Redsingle
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Quote:
Nick, the first 10 days I will be with a group riding BMW's from the factory down through the Alps and Stelvio Pass to Mandello d L ! ( I've done that in the past.) I will be on a BMW F700GS (800 twin).

I hope to spend about another week after that and I may switch bikes for something else.

There is a slight chance, very slight that I secure a NUOVO FALCONE (!) for the week if I decide to go to Scandinavia. That may be too far for the time I'll have.
Yuo might find 2 problems on your path (to Norway) : time and distance: I guess it will be +- 2000 KM from the Swiss/Italian border to Norway.
Late september the waether in Norway could be rather wet, and also the days are getting shorter,which minimises your riding time.

Redsingle
Redsingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:25 PM   #550
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redsingle View Post
Yuo might find 2 problems on your path (to Norway) : time and distance: I guess it will be +- 2000 KM from the Swiss/Italian border to Norway.
Late september the waether in Norway could be rather wet, and also the days are getting shorter,which minimises your riding time.

Redsingle
Yes, I've been thinking about those sort of things, especially the weather.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:29 AM   #551
banquo

This isn't strictly Nuovo Falcone stuff, so apologies in advance. I took the NF along to the VMCC S&T event in Crieff last Saturday, and came across this unusual GTS, featuring the iron head/barrel, and the overhead inlet, side exhaust format. It has the rear springs mounted in tubes below the engine and predates the Falcone and Super Alce.

Interesting heel activated brake lever!

Anyone interested in the rest of the bikes will find them here.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM   #552
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks for posting that, banquo

Pretty much all the iconic names of vintage British motorcycle represented there - along with a few American cousins.

I still have that Matchless single shown in the early part of this thread. Jampots forever!

leafman60 screwed with this post 08-05-2014 at 03:41 AM
Old 08-05-2014, 12:34 PM   #553
Redsingle
Adventurer

European trip

Quote:
Lm, you might consider this ralley : september 19-21 in Wenden -Elben , near Olpe in the Sauerland.For Italian bikes mostly and the German Nuovo Falcone Club will also be present with a number of Falcones. We use to go there with a number of Guzzi singles from Holland. We might meet there.
It is organised by : Moto Guzzi Club Olpe - Biggesee e. V.

Redsingle
Old 08-05-2014, 12:48 PM   #554
Redsingle
Adventurer

European trip

Quote:
Lm, you might consider this ralley : september 19-21 in Wenden -Elben , near Olpe in the Sauerland.For Italian bikes mostly and the German Nuovo Falcone Club will also be present with a number of Falcones. We use to go there with a number of Guzzi singles from Holland. We might meet there.
It is organised by : Moto Guzzi Club Olpe - Biggesee e. V.

Redsingle
Old 08-05-2014, 04:34 PM   #555
leafman60 OP
Beastly Adventurer

Thank you! I am not sure I can be there that early but I will see about it.