Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-05-2014, 10:42 AM   #16
Fleksta
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 113
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZappBranigan View Post

4. Salvage Title. Some sellers will tell you that a bike can end up with a salvage title for even a minor tip over or just for being stolen and impounded. I don't care, I'm not interested in a bike with a salvage title, period.

Anyway, those are my general rules. I love CL and use it all the time, it's a great resource but like anything else you have to be smart.
Good advice, but I have to differ with the salvage title stance. My current VFR has a salvage branded title, but also included the full work up of what was damaged, examined, and replaced. In the end I got a better price on a great bike. Would I have bought it just taking the owners word for it, probably not, but I think writing off any and all salvage repaired bikes is a bit silly.

I use CL all the time to buy and sell a whole range of items. My rule of thumb is to get an actual phone call in; usually this is all it takes to weed out the scammers and flakes.

Fleksta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #17
kraven
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,793
A used bike with any age on it will always be worse than you think.

Don't buy an older bike thinking it's exactly as good as it looks.

Bearing this in mind: Look at the bike and don't listen to the seller's description. See what the bike tells you.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:13 PM   #18
Buck McCann
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Some great information! Much appreciated as I have been looking to buy off CL myself in the next couple of months.
Buck McCann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #19
MotoChuck250
n00b

Oddometer: 6
Always bring a tire pressure gauge and a flashlight. I have found a number of bikes I was to test ride had tire pressure of less than 20#. Not a good idea to put a bike through it's paces with low tire pressure.

Even on a sunny day most bikes have dark nooks and crannys that can be hard to see. You will want to be able to see as much as possible the source of that oil seepage on the bottom of the bike. You can also usually see how much of the disc brake pads are left when you have a flashlight. (Ok, so you may have to stand on your head!)

A mechanics stethoscope or a simple screwdriver is also a good thing to bring. You can place the handle against your ear and the blade against the engine and hear mechanical noises much better than just listening unaided.

Lastly bring a helmet, leather gloves and a riding jacket. A large percentage of accidents happen when someone gets on an unfamiliar bike for the first time. It is easy to pay more attention to what the bike is doing than to the traffic around you.
MotoChuck250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2014, 08:18 PM   #20
rudolf35
Warped & Twisted Mind

Oddometer: 797
Wicked Local only with title in hand

I have purchased quite a few bikes on Craigslit and thus far all has gone well.

My steadfast rules are:
1. Local only
2. Title in hand of seller
3. Money transactions at a bank for safety, notary service and make sure the money is "real".

I had people wanting to ship, escrow and all that sort of rubbish but I stuck to my rules and life has been good; just purchased a 82 BMW R65SL.

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 03:16 PM   #21
PrkChps
Non-Pirate HD Guy

Oddometer: 24
Laugh

Quote:
Originally Posted by rudolf35 View Post
I have purchased quite a few bikes on Craigslit and thus far all has gone well.

My steadfast rules are:
1. Local only
2. Title in hand of seller
3. Money transactions at a bank for safety, notary service and make sure the money is "real".

I had people wanting to ship, escrow and all that sort of rubbish but I stuck to my rules and life has been good; just purchased a 82 BMW R65SL.

What he said. If you are willing to invest a little drive-time to go see a bike, make certain the title is there, in the seller's name, and ask for the title date. If they don't give it to you, just look for another bike. There is ALWAYS another bike.

I don't hesitate to bring cash, and make a lower cash offer than the asking price. Lots of riders have the spouse bending their ear to "get rid of that bike you never ride". Some people need cash badly. Sorry, but that's their problem, so I always try to get a lower price. A cash on the barrelhead, right-now offer can move a mountain. Especially if the seller says "let me talk to my wife for a minute".

And always presume that there is some sort of problem you don't know about...carb cleaning, etc. You'll find it soon enough.
Old 08-06-2014, 04:51 PM   #22
familystone OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Yeah, I just need to be patient. I was getting itchy fingers or something. I'll just keep checking craigslist for opportunities within driving range.

Blake
familystone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:04 PM   #23
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 446
Quote:
Originally Posted by rusty44 View Post
first 2 questions!!!!!

Do you have the title in your hand?

Is the title in your name?!!
Is the title unsigned?
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #24
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 362
Pack heat just in case.
Mr. Carts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 02:43 PM   #25
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,523
Go look.
Bring cash and a buddy and a cellphone.
2000 SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:22 AM   #26
dwizum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
I think it is worth pointing out that Craigslist is built on the premise that you're using it for a local transaction that you will complete in person. It's not intended to be a nationwide search and doesn't have the tools or "support" (i.e. buyer protection) that a more pure internet-based tool like eBay has.

I don't have anything to add that hasn't been said yet. I am sure there are lots of scammers out there but there are also just tons of people who don't have it together, and they can be just as bad/damaging as a true scammer.

Trust your instincts, have a plan B, and stay safe.
dwizum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:36 AM   #27
cantupshift
Adventurer

Oddometer: 85
Salvage title? I've heard that makes the bike ineligible for comprehensive insurance in TN.

Make sure you've got a mobile phone with data and can check the VIN to see if it's stolen. If not you can often times either do a notarized sale or do it by mail through Vermont.

"Interview" the person on phone, ask all the red flag questions that should be asked and if you're treated like an ask-hole then move on.

Meet in a public place? Depends on dollar amount, if I was doing cash I'd do it at a police station. Local horror story over a CL transaction that ended up in a murder in the Target / BWW parking lot in Nashville a few years back.
cantupshift is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 10:43 AM   #28
DJ.
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 201
I always check the Title with the VIN on the frame. I have hear of them not matching before.
DJ. is offline   Reply With Quote