User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 546
K75 sline lube doubts

I'm not sure if I'd get more responses here or in road warriors, but here goes.
I'm looking to buy a K75 with 59,000 miles, pretty clean, good looking bike, good price, but the spline lube history is unknown. Guy who has it now has ridden it for 30,000-ish miles without having done it, the owner before him SAID that he did, but there is no documentation, so who knows. I rode it, and it shifted like butter, both up and down through the gears.
I really like the bike, and want to buy it, but spline lube doubts have got me reconsidering.
Any thoughts?
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 10:51 AM   #2
SpikeC
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 312
It doesn't take that much effort to slide the rear end back to take a look at the splines. Even if they are in poor shape the BMW shop in Medford Oregon rebuilds them better than new. I have a shaft and rear end from an '85 K100 that would make a great core to freshen so that you could ride while it is being done, if it came to that. They are such nice bikes that they are worth a little effort if the price is good. That one is just nicely broken in!
2008 DB5R
IBA #8297
SpikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #3
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks. I'm pretty sure I'm going to get it, unless a bunch of folks say RUN, and back it up with personal tales of regret. I went to sleep last night feeling excited and optimistic about it, but woke at 5 with visions of expense and long hours in the shop.
Old 08-06-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
SpikeC
Gnarly Adventurer

You really need to post a pic of it!
2008 DB5R
IBA #8297
Old 08-06-2014, 12:16 PM   #5
FrankR80GS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
...but the spline lube history is unknown. Guy who has it now has ridden it for 30,000-ish miles without having done it, the owner before him SAID that he did, but there is no documentation...

Any thoughts?
Do you mean the clutch splines? Never done this to my R80GS during 22 years and 130.000 km. Then I needed to do rebuilt the gear box. Removed it without any problem, spline was OK. The workshop who did the rebuilding shipped it back with some klueber staburags.

According to my genuine BMW handbook relubing the clutch spline is not included in regularly services. Only the splines of the paralever shaft need service lubrication.
FrankR80GS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

I'm not sure the need or the procedure are the same between the K and the R bikes. I've had a couple of R bikes, but this is my first K-bike. Maybe someone will set me straight.
Old 08-06-2014, 02:36 PM   #7
El Matador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
If it downshifts smoothly without throttle input, the clutch splines are probably fine, but I would lube them anyway. The final drive splines are more problematic. With the lube history, I would pull the final drive and inspect them before purchase, or assume that the splines will be worn, and figure the repair price into the sale price. Hansens does a good repair job for about $200 on the pinion splines, but you still need to get them out of the final drive and reseal it afterwards. You will also need a new driveshaft, which is another $400 or so.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 06:30 AM   #8
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

I've heard it's more like $1000 to $1200 to fix. Not true? I could get my mind around $600, but any higher would be a deal breaker.
Old 08-07-2014, 09:03 AM   #9
Bobmws
Curmudgeon At Large

Oddometer: 1,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
I've heard it's more like $1000 to $1200 to fix. Not true? I could get my mind around $600, but any higher would be a deal breaker.
Hansens contact info

Brunos Services
www.earplugco.com
Bobmws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #10
durtwurm
Talented Amateur

Oddometer: 4,409
If it downshifts easily then the clutch splines are fine. Also if you can pull in the clutch lever smoothly when the bike is not running that is another indicator clutch splines are good. The fact is they seldom need attention. On the other hand the driveshaft where it meets the final drive should be lubed every tire change or at least every other tire change. Honda Moly 60 is what I use and recommend. About 8 bucks per tube and a tube lasts for a long time. A pronounced whine is a give away for dry splines in the rear. The greasing is about an hour to do first time out. Buy the bike, it sounds like a good deal. Other potential future problem areas are the ignition switch and the coolant fan. That said the K75 is a very durable machine. I'd do a valve check too.

durtwurm screwed with this post 08-07-2014 at 03:09 PM
durtwurm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #11
Andyvh1959
Cheesehead Klompen

Oddometer: 662
If there is no documentation to support it was done, done right, with the right lube, then just do it. I was riding with a buddy through Iowa years back, he was on his K100RT. Middle of nowhere, pulled out from a stop, and ZGZGGZGZGGZZGGZGZ from the middle of the bike and no forward thrust.

Found out later at a shop that the clutch spline hub had totally stripped out. He had never lubed it per the every 40K lube period, and paid for it on a trip. On the R bikes and K bikes of that era, the clutch hub and tranny input splines MUST be cleaned and lubed properly. Same for the final drive hub and driveshaft, because the 80's/90's vintage BMWs ran a dry driveshaft, unlike the wet driveshaft that my 76 R100RS has. My 94 R1100RS has the dry driveshaft and clutch, which both have splines that must be cleaned and lubed properly for long life. I have 178k on my 94 BMW, with the original final drive, and on it's second driveshaft and clutch.
Old 08-07-2014, 04:13 PM   #12
El Matador
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
Driveshaft is $383 from Max BMW. $200 plus shipping for Hansens. Figure between 1 and 2 hours shop rate to remove and reinstall the pinion gear in the final drive, along with $13 for the pinion seal, which is destroyed taking the pinion gear out. With you removing the driveshaft and final drive from the bike, and then putting it back together, it will be at least a $750 repair. If you have a shop do all of the work, add another two hours or so.
El Matador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:48 PM   #13
ivantheterrible OP
Studly Adventurer

thanks for all the replies. It's on hold, for now, but i might pick it up this weekend, if it hasn't sold first.
Old 08-07-2014, 05:19 PM   #14
SpikeC
Gnarly Adventurer

My '85 K100 went 147000 miles with two valves needing different shims in that time! I also replaced the rear end and drive shaft once.
I really loved that bike.....
2008 DB5R
IBA #8297
Old 08-09-2014, 10:25 AM   #15
achtung3
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 973
Hey Ivantheterrible, if you buy the bike send me post and I'll walk you thru the spline lubing process, I did it on K75 and it wasn't any difficult task.

If you can you should get a hold of a copy of haynes maintenance manual, it will explain what to do.

I'd post pics but I am having very difficult times posting photos here on this site, I used to post pics but now I can't for some weird reason.

I have pics on a k bike forum.
achtung3 is offline   Reply With Quote