British two strokes.
Old 08-06-2014, 10:28 AM   #32
England-Kev
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,499
Quote:
Originally Posted by kraven View Post
British two strokes.
Don't be laughing at our Brit two strokes now, Greeves riders have kicked too much big 4 stroke CC butt for that attitude

You need to drop into the Enfield pages over on BritBike, loads of US Enfield dudes in there... http://www.britbike.com/forums/ubbth...Board=9&page=1

England-Kev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 11:48 AM   #33
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Oddometer: 4,794
Thanks for the info, Kev. I just wandered over and joined and started a thread on this thing.
Old 08-06-2014, 01:13 PM   #34
MIOB
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 925
No, no, no, go for the 350!

Just got back from a few hours riding single tracks in the woods. The bike and me booth took a beating this time (I had 2 offs).

As you can see, it got a bit dirty. So I took a bath.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fzvo...ature=youtu.be

Fun fact about my Enfield:

It will keep running with a broken inlet pushrod (and subsequently over about an inch of valve play. I have proof)

Go for the 350, scramble it, stay away from the paved roads and have a hell of a time!
MIOB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 01:40 PM   #35
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

sounds like a tough mill. You have some great vids. I'm gonna subscribe to your channel on the youtubes.
Old 08-06-2014, 05:04 PM   #36
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Oddometer: 276
Quote:
British two strokes.
Nothing wrong with british two strokes, many a TT legend cut his teeth racing BSAs bantam.
But a second hand jap will be a cheap reliable powerfull light option. i would go the yamaha myself but the square finning would look a little out of place.
If you want to look very close to the villiers 2T or 4T (cant remember what the difference was now it was that long ago) lump what about a RUSSIAN.
The jupiter 350 is a 350 twin two stroke very similar to the villiers but a bit bigger. Another very close is the Jawa 350 like in the californians .
here is a villiers like in the Enfield turbo twin.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z_TOn5x7-Cw

here is a izh jupiter 350.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBcigq71is

The jawa 350 probably more of these in USA.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_lzx6UiLDw

my favourate the suzuki T350 J

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TD_84nVveWg
MATTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 06:54 PM   #37
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

It would be kind of hilarious to build a 55 Indian with an Izh engine.
I could call it The McCarthy Indian and maybe have Indian translated to Cyrillic for a tank decal.

I remember on long way around Claudio rode an Izh Planeta 350 for a bit. It seemed pretty zippy. Until it broke and was fixed on a roadside by some Mongols.
Old 08-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #38
k-moe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,544
alt 3 =
Old 08-06-2014, 09:35 PM   #39
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Quote:
It would be kind of hilarious to build a 55 Indian with an Izh engine.
I could call it The McCarthy Indian and maybe have Indian translated to Cyrillic for a tank decal.

I remember on long way around Claudio rode an Izh Planeta 350 for a bit. It seemed pretty zippy. Until it broke and was fixed on a roadside by some Mongols.
And he had the lower powered planeta 5, i have a sport the russian dog itself has a full 4hp advantage
The jupiter twin allthough not perhaps as rugged as the planeta single its more in keeping physicaly with the villiers twin Enfield used.
But if you are not wanting to create something close to original there are better engines out there than planetas but they are better than they are said to be. I have only had mine 15 years call me in another 15 and i will let you know if its any good and if i like it or not.

MATTY screwed with this post 08-06-2014 at 09:42 PM
Old 08-07-2014, 05:28 AM   #40
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

I'm totally willing to keep it Enfield.
It seems like so far the prices are crazy on engines. And everything I've found has damage done to it by a drop or has some hole that's been epoxied. You expect that with stuff from the 50's, at least I do. I've been fiddling with old cars and bikes for a while now. But I need to make more connections, go to some swap meets, and find some stuff stuck back someplace that hasn't had a rod through it or been dropped onto a 15 mm bolt head from 20 feet up.

But there's no sense in not riding the bike in the meantime if I can shoehorn a different mill into it.
Old 08-07-2014, 08:14 AM   #41
MATTY
ADV RIDER & DRIVER

Totaly agree, if it were a relatively complete bike then it would be practical, but its never going to be anything other than a bitser bike.
Enfield stuff is expensive and you have to look at it practicaly. by the time you gather the parts you would have probably been able to buy a running assembled bike for less.
I would look around for a more modern donor bike that stayed similar to back in the day enfields.
About the only common pushrod fourstroke single is a honda CG125 or a chinese clone, there is the two stroke option as mentioned or going to some ohc twin by say honda suzuki kawasaki etc. Bear in mind the brakes as they are etc a 200/250 or 350 is probably enough in my opinion. The 225 yamaha single would be a nice little engine in that old bike or a dr200 but i still think you would get a two stroke cheaper easier and it would be more in keeping, but thats me. And after all its your bike.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:00 AM   #42
Icewalker
Conundrum

Oddometer: 41,398
A good source for the Villiers singles (9e) are the karting folks in the UK. They have a budget class especially for them. May be worth a shot.
Old 08-08-2014, 05:58 AM   #43
Bar None
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,266
Recycle that bike to the scrap yard.
2014 Ice Bear PBZ110-1P sidecar
2015 Ural cT on order
Bar None is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2014, 07:06 AM   #44
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnone View Post
Recycle that bike to the scrap yard.
I'll leave it by the curb and you can come get it.
Old 10-18-2014, 04:54 AM   #45
kraven OP
Hegelian Scum

So, I finally got moved into a new house, with new shop space, etc. Got back to the Indian for a few minutes.
Found this. One of the fork rods is busted, like catastrophically busted. So, I guess I need to hunt one of those up. Or put a later front end on it, maybe. Finding Enfield parts is getting to be a pain in the balls. I'd be on easy street if this were American (I'd just need a busket of money).