ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-08-2014, 01:37 PM   #16
Wallowa OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Not That Simplistic

Hey folks...this is not at this time a political issue.. sure hind-sight can, but not always, give answers and point how to make things better...but for right now the 'you know what is in the fan'

..Somers fire near Imnaha Fire went from 4 to 7 and now 12K acres in three days...

A lot of fuel, dry, windy and hot...fuel-oxygen-heat..

Personally, I have nothing but respect for the fire crews... an unbelievably tough and dangerous job...and just for me..not one life is worth giving up for any amount of forest..

Our "little" Hurricane Crk Fire is at 1,600+ acres and putting a lot of smoke into the Joseph/Wallowa Lake end of the valley...especially in AM when air is cold and dense..if you plan to visit this weekend...consider your tolerance to smoke..

Last thoughts...and not wishing to start any belly-bumping...but if anyone of us was King-For-A-Day they could not in my opinion make our grass lands and forests fire resistant..sure with less fuel on the ground, the fires would not burn as intensely; but we have decades of stopping fires and letting the under store and downed trees grow to ridiculous levels; we need to deal with the current reality...sure clear cutting removes the fuel; but removing the forest to stop it from burning seems ass backwards; selective cutting and slash clean-up works but not in wilderness areas ...and all forests are not logged due to the type of forest and locations; no real profit to be had...

Nor could the King really implement an effective way to stop these horrific fires in the locations and under the conditions we see...we are in a Catch-22.

Hopefully nobody is seriously injured or dies as a result of the fires.

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2014, 10:17 PM   #17
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,041
just got home from there,,when we stopped in for the famous spicy picked aigs at the tavern,,they had no power.
2 poles burned on the Idaho side, and one across the river in Oregon.
They were running generators to keep the fridges and freezers running, but no lights,cash register, kitchen offerings or other,
Poles were to be replaced by the next day ( I think it was last toosday),,fire burned from the canyon rim all the way to the road, and the Imnaha river road was closed.
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 05:04 PM   #18
Wallowa OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,190
Smoke and More Smoke...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterman View Post
just got home from there,,when we stopped in for the famous spicy picked aigs at the tavern,,they had no power.
2 poles burned on the Idaho side, and one across the river in Oregon.
They were running generators to keep the fridges and freezers running, but no lights,cash register, kitchen offerings or other,
Poles were to be replaced by the next day ( I think it was last toosday),,fire burned from the canyon rim all the way to the road, and the Imnaha river road was closed.
We have numerous fires burning, but the 20,000 acre+ Somers fire on the Snake East of Imnaha is the bigee...27 persons on that fire cuz nothing can be done and no air assets due to smoke..

Whole valley here has been filled with smoke...not good and a big chance of more fires Tuesday..

Bad fire year in many places..

Phil
Wallowa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 09:52 PM   #19
peterman
cop magnet

Oddometer: 13,041
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix101 View Post
would be nice if the BLM and Forest Circus would manage the forests like they used to do... you know build and maintain access roads...select or clear cut large areas...
yeah shure,,jobs,,,huhhh.
and yet we still export whole logs instead of finished or even 'value added' products.

Lots of what is burning is cheat-grass and scrub land,,not marketable timber.
but still,,,,,,,,well,, I guess the lightning is the job creator during this time of year. If you are healthy enough for the work, that is.

from the tavern's parking lot, before things really got rolling.

looking backwards as we rode out of Imnaha towards Joseph after being denied the river road.
It was just a trail of smoke on the ride in,,we stayed long enuff for one beer anna pee stop, and it was already rapidly blowing up in size.
peterman is online now   Reply With Quote