ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2014, 01:49 PM   #31
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,158
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan View Post
Looking at a Spirit II in Tufweave for $675 including two paddles, car rack, and PDF. (He might mean PFD). It's two hours away though..... Good deal?

1911fan
We've got one. Love it. Check out the canoe and kayak thread in shiny things here on ADV. I'll try to post more from home, lunch break is not conducive to indepth posts...

MV
Old 08-13-2014, 01:56 PM   #32
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

And paddles. Be prepared to spend some money on paddles. Get used to the idea of them costing more than you would think.

MV
Old 08-13-2014, 06:24 PM   #33
1911fan OP
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,912
We got the Minnesota II based on the good review on Wenohna canoes on page 1. Haven't take it out yet, we'll be able to this Saturday. We bought inexpensive paddles to start with, figuring this would get us on the lake and we'd learn/upgrade as we go.
It's probably more canoe than we need, but we want to take the granddaughters, ice chests, and so on in it. We are also looking at going up to Ross Lake, and it looks like maybe a 5-mile paddle? Which we should be up to, by then.
Looking forward to learning it.

I'd welcome paddle suggestions.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #34
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,744
Quote:

1911fan
Any of the paddle shops should have demo paddles (or new) that they will be willing to let you try. This is definitely a matter of personal preference, and that preference often changes on the conditions and if you are paddling solo or tandem. There are a variety of paddle blade sizes, shaft styles, grip styles, and some people prefer different profiles on the blade face. Then there's materials, durability, and weight. There is no wrong paddle design.

Your bow paddler should seriously consider a bent shaft paddle, but that's the only recommendation I'll make.

I use a 100% custom designed-by-me bent shaft paddle that my dad made for me, because after trying dozens of paddles, I couldn't find anything I considered ideal.
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:07 PM   #35
hdawg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
paddles

My wife and I both use bent shaft paddles. She has an ultralight paddle. If you go any time or distance, it makes a big difference. Mine is a little heavier but much prettier. Wood and Carbon fiber. Although they are expensive, as other people have told you, a good shop will let you test different paddles. I tested many before I settled on a bent shaft and ultralight. Both of or paddles make paddling comfortable and enjoyable. Just remember, relax it's not a race.
hdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #36
Hesaid
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
We got the Minnesota II based on the good review on Wenohna canoes on page 1. Haven't take it out yet, we'll be able to this Saturday. We bought inexpensive paddles to start with, figuring this would get us on the lake and we'd learn/upgrade as we go.
It's probably more canoe than we need, but we want to take the granddaughters, ice chests, and so on in it. We are also looking at going up to Ross Lake, and it looks like maybe a 5-mile paddle? Which we should be up to, by then.
Looking forward to learning it.

1911fan
I'm sure you'll be happy with the Minnesota. And if you're not, I might be...

Lemme see, For a little bit of reading about our canoe life, try HERE. That's (one of) Shesaid's blog(s), and she might mention the canoe a time or two. Unfortunately, she tends to exaggerate a bit, and tell stories from a slanted perspective. I tell you, if I was half the idiot she... Wait... If I was half an idiot... Or, no... Ummm... If she was... Er, if one of us was... You know what, I'll just let you read it yourself. There are also some bike tales on there as well, so I'm sure you'll be able to see what I mean about her stretching the truth from time to time.

I think I managed to post a trip on here, down in "Inmates" as it were. This should be it, Canoeing the Dusy Ershim. Also on this site is the thread of canoe and kayak pics in "Shiny Things", you can check that out HERE.

Now, about paddles. I'm no expert. And neither is anyone else. As already mentioned, it's a very personal choice. And you'll need to paddle quite a bit with a paddle before you'll know if it's the right choice. We started off with four different paddles from Cabela's. We did a lot of reading on how to choose the right lengths, and then ordered four different lengths covering the ranges we thought we'd need. For the ones we really expected to be using, we got THESE, and for the two that we figured were going to be the wrong sizes, we went cheap and got THESE. And we got one of THESE just in case. We ended up liking the ones we chose, and certainly used them quite a bit, and use them still from time to time. But after putting a little bit of canoeing under our belts, we both sought out new paddles. I got one of THESE and she got a Guide bent shaft canoe paddle. The two cheapies we got? Never used them. I think there was talk of making a lamp out of one of them.

Here's the thing with paddles: weight. You know how when working out they'll tell you it's not the weight you lift, but the repetitions you do? Now think about paddling a canoe. You're going to me lifting that paddle thousands of times. Ounces that don't seem like much when you're standing in the store, will mean so much more when you've paddled for hours and are still miles from where you need to be. Lightweight costs money, so you want to make sure you've found out what length is right for you before committing, but once you've decided what length and style you want, go ahead and spring for the lighter weight options. She's got the bent shaft paddle, and it really seems to work well for her. She likes using it, and I like that between the bent aspect, and the larger blade than her last paddle, it's gotten her efficiency up, and that makes for a closer match to my own. Easier to go in a straight line now than it was before. Just remember, the bend goes towards the bow. The point is to make the latter half of your stroke more efficient, with the blade more perpendicular to the water than a straight shaft would tend to be.

Oh, and not that it should be a concern with an 18.5 foot canoe, but you want to make sure that the bow paddler's paddle is too short to allow her to whack you upside the head from her seat. I'm not quite sure how, what with her being up there and facing away, but Shesaid must be able to detect mosquitos landing on me, because more than once she's mentioned that she wished she could reach me with her paddle. So you might want to get some bug repellant also...

MV
Old 08-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #37
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmonkeybut View Post
We looked for a couple of years before we found a decent one. We ended up with a 17' Fiberglass Lincoln. It does everything we ask of it. Both of us also have 14' Tupperware Kayaks which are a bigger P.I.T.A. to haul but seem to get used more.

The problem with finding a used Canoe around here is the local Lesbian Community. I found out that Canoeing is big on their favorite list of things to do. They watch for used boats and snatch them up instantly. I showed up numerous times to look at boats for sale, only to see them being loaded onto an LAV destined for their new home. The one I bought was only on Craigslist a few minutes and I was the first of many to call on it. I called, drove straight over and loaded it onto my work truck.
IDKWTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
No one feels as deeply as the Putin feels!

Truly he is the most superior leader.
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:15 PM   #38
kiwi_outdoors
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Bell Morningstar

we like our Bell Morningstar 15 ft canoe - all of 56 Lbs dry.
kiwi_outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2014, 08:16 PM   #39
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 9,111
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugemoth View Post
I bought an aluminum canoe new in 1971 and still have it. It has always been stored out in the yard in the sun, rain, and snow and has not deteriorated at all. During those 43 years I've also owned an Old Town and a Coleman, both plastic, that showed signs of deterioration after a few years of outdoor storage. Plastic is nice because it's quiet but aluminum will last forever with no maintenance.
What make?

Quote:
Originally Posted by configurationspace View Post
No one feels as deeply as the Putin feels!

Truly he is the most superior leader.
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote