ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-06-2014, 08:15 AM   #1
RVFlyer OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Cannon Beach Area?

Family is heading down to Cannon Beach next week, I'm going to ride the GS down and join them for a few days - would appreciate suggestions for short day rides around that area, ideally with some gravel/2 track included.
RVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:29 AM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,753
Cannon Beach is one of my my favorite coastal towns. It's very nice. The coast range to the east has lots of exploring to do, you will run into gates, but easy to back track, and find another route. The Oregon Benchmark Atlas would be a good investment to have, as would a working GPS, it's easy to get turned around in the heavy trees.

I'd head south to Nehalem, check out the village of Manzanita and Nehalaem then head up the Nehalem river, soon it turns into dirt. Then try to work your way back to Highway 6 near Diamond Mill. Most all of those roads are logging roads so pretty good on big bikes.

A fun twisty loop to consider also is Hwy 53, which you can make a loop from Nehalem north to Hwy 26. Not gravel, but very popular with sport bike crowd.

Be sure to check out the Ecola Seafood Market in Cannon Beach, great place for lunch.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 08:47 AM   #3
RVFlyer OP
Adventurer

Thanks Scott, that's a lot of good info. I've driven 53 in my old 911, a fun road, and I've driven the Nehalem area too, also flown into the very cool airstrip there right at the edge of the bay (watch out for birds ) Lots of good ideas. I'm even planning to try a first time camp out on the way - leave Sunday afternoon and ride down to SE Washington somewhere and pitch a tent for the night, then run into Cannon Beach the next day. Hopefully an easy test of the bike camping concept and will allow me to see what works, what doesn't work, etc.

Next week was supposed to be full of depositions and preparation for same, and I wasn't going to even be able to make it down to CB with the family, but the case settled yesterday at a long mediation, so suddenly next week is now open and I'm planning to make the most of it.
RVFlyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #4
beemerron
machine washable

Oddometer: 2,669
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post

Be sure to check out the Ecola Seafood Market in Cannon Beach, great place for lunch.
Sounds like a mix of E. coli and Ebola.

beemerron is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 08:24 AM   #5
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,753
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerron View Post
Sounds like a mix of E. coli and Ebola.

Good - less lines that way. Might make getting a parking spot at Ecola State Park easier as well.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 02:18 PM   #6
Trinity_Session
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 459
Stay away from The Wayfarer for food. Speedy and really not worth the cost. Plus I believe it is part of a chain. Too many good local places.
Trinity_Session is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 04:08 PM   #7
RVFlyer OP
Adventurer

Rain!

Well, rain in Cannon Beach, so I didn't get out to Manzanita or the other options in the area. But I did have a great ride down in the sun, with a nice campsite at Bruceport County Park and dinner at the 101 Public House in South Bend (very good food that I didn't expect to find in South Bend, at reasonable prices) before heading down to CB. CB itself was the usual experience - always good people watching if nothing else!