ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #1
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 930
Spokane, Portland area inmates, camp suggestions

I leave this Monday afternoon. From Alberta. Down into Washington and Oregon and then on up to vancouver island. Intending to leave from port Angeles on the coho ferry on Friday. So I have a few days to explore. I'll be riding hard to get out of Canada ASAP on Monday. So can probably make it into Washington just by evening.
Can anyone suggest some good spots I can throw up my hammock and camp? Ideally I don't want to pay for camp sites as I'm literally looking for spots to sleep.

I haven't really figured out my route. I'm just going to see where the roads take me. I just want to see what I see if that makes sense.

So any suggestions? Cheers
crunchiespg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,757
Download a Public Lands app for your smart phone and camp in National Forests. There's lots of them around on your route, and they are free to dry camp in (leave no trace).

Of course you get screwed in Washington and probably need to purchase a Discovery Pass if you don't camp in campgrounds.

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 10:23 PM   #3
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post
Download a Public Lands app for your smart phone and camp in National Forests. There's lots of them around on your route, and they are free to dry camp in (leave no trace).

Of course you get screwed in Washington and probably need to purchase a Discovery Pass if you don't camp in campgrounds.
Cheers. Any suggestions of a specific app? Ideally one that doesn't need data as the roaming fees for me in the USA are terrible.
Old 08-15-2014, 01:57 AM   #4
IdahoRenegade
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott_PDX View Post

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Discovery Pass only apply to Washington State lands, not federal (National Forests)?
IdahoRenegade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,662
If you're passing through the Wenatchee area, PM me for a phone number and I'll set you up.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 07:49 AM   #6
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by IdahoRenegade View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't Discovery Pass only apply to Washington State lands, not federal (National Forests)?
That's correct, state lands only for the disco pass.
You can camp most places in federal national forest if you use common sense and stay away from the burn areas. I think a lot of the ranger districts have pdf maps that will work on a smartphone as well.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #7
Scott_PDX
Leisure Engineer

Oddometer: 2,757
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchiespg View Post
Cheers. Any suggestions of a specific app? Ideally one that doesn't need data as the roaming fees for me in the USA are terrible.
The one I use is called "US Public Lands", on an Adroid device. I don't know if it' caches maps, I doubt it.

The Avenza, "PDF Maps" is also quite popular and you can download geo referenced maps to your device via that tool. Once you download the map you don't need a data connection and it will use your GPS still. You'll have to browse through the maps to find one that meets your needs, some are charged, some are free. The USGS TopoMaps which are free and available on Avenza show National Forests also, but you have to know which one to download ahead of time (Hundreds of maps for Oregon and Washington).

My MotovLog (Youtube Videos): http://www.youtube.com/user/scottb572/videos

Where Am I via SPOT (Code SCT): http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719703
Scott_PDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 AM   #8
Scoutman
Master of Ale

Oddometer: 237
Cell/Radio tower sites....... Easy to spot, can be fun to find, the gates around here are usually unlocked, and free..... Other than that, dispersed camping is allowed on most state/fed ground. Just find a likely spot, clean up after yourself, and check on any fire restrictions.... If you are going to come down through N. Idaho, PM me and I can give you more details
Scoutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 10:48 AM   #9
crunchiespg OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoutman View Post
Cell/Radio tower sites....... Easy to spot, can be fun to find, the gates around here are usually unlocked, and free..... Other than that, dispersed camping is allowed on most state/fed ground. Just find a likely spot, clean up after yourself, and check on any fire restrictions.... If you are going to come down through N. Idaho, PM me and I can give you more details
Ok. Well that won't be an issue. I intend on arriving, setting up my hammock. Having a read then sleep and then leaving. So no fires and certainly no mess.