User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-19-2014, 09:38 AM   #1291
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Back on the Grom again

I forgot how fun this little bike is. Now with a 150 miles on it the engine is loosening up nicely and I find that it now has enough useful torque and power that you don't need to be constantly shifting like in the first 100 miles. I bet i will see things loosen up a bit more as the break in continues. It ain't fast in the least but is surprisingly capable.

One thing I have noticed on a few recent rides is the total lack of respect. The Harley guys won't even look. The BMW guys will look but give you a snooty face and you can just forget a waive. The crotch rocket folks will shake there heads and then pull a wheelie like they are telling me to buy a real bike. Even the scooter crowd looks the other way.

Also had a funny experience riding my Grom through Brier WA. That city has more cops then residence with insanely low speed limits. A few of the back roads in that city have 15 MPH speed zones. It used to be a pretty corrupt place and you did not even want to pass through it. Its not so bad now but they still have a pretty strict police department.

As I was on my Grom I passed by the cop who had pulled over someone. As the cop was lecturing the motorist he paused and gave me a very serious look. As i passed by him he was looking the bike over and then noticed the turn signals and license plate. He raised his brow and nodded his head like he never seen anything that silly and be street legal before. He did not stop me though!

On a more serious note for all Grom owners you have to be careful. I almost get hit every time I ride the Grom. Its just so small people just don't notice you. I have unofficially nick named it "Close Call" because my ride is full of close calls when I ride it.
longhaul747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 10:46 AM   #1292
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul747 View Post
Back on the Grom again

I forgot how fun this little bike is. Now with a 150 miles on it the engine is loosening up nicely and I find that it now has enough useful torque and power that you don't need to be constantly shifting like in the first 100 miles. I bet i will see things loosen up a bit more as the break in continues. It ain't fast in the least but is surprisingly capable.

One thing I have noticed on a few recent rides is the total lack of respect. The Harley guys won't even look. The BMW guys will look but give you a snooty face and you can just forget a waive. The crotch rocket folks will shake there heads and then pull a wheelie like they are telling me to buy a real bike. Even the scooter crowd looks the other way.

On a more serious note for all Grom owners you have to be careful. I almost get hit every time I ride the Grom. Its just so small people just don't notice you. I have unofficially nick named it "Close Call" because my ride is full of close calls when I ride it.
Speed wise how does it compare to the elite110 and the sh150?

Size wise it ain't smaller then a scooter is it?

Great hooligan bike for sure.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 11:44 AM   #1293
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Speed wise how does it compare to the elite110 and the sh150?

Size wise it ain't smaller then a scooter is it?

Great hooligan bike for sure.
As for acceleration to be honest sometimes it feels like the Grom can't get out of its own way. Its not that bad but you really have to use the gears since they are so spread out. A stock Grom will be no match compared to the Elite 110 and especially the SH150i. On the Elite 110 and the SH150i you just gun it and go. Miss a gear on a the Grom and its over in a drag race and the Grom may not keep up anyway.

As for top speed I can't completely comment yet. The Grom has a pretty tall 4th gear so it can achieve a pretty favorable top speed. Some have claimed a top speed in the mid 60's for a stock Grom. Seems a bit far fetched to me but I have had it up to 55 MPH and it was no sweat off its back. The problem with the Grom is aerodynamics and the lack of HP. The gearing may allow it to reach a 70 MPH but it just does not have the power.

So in a nutshell the Grom accelerates the slowest of the 2 but will eventually go faster then the Elite 110. The SH150i would have a slightly higher and sustainable top speed.

Size wise the Grom is surprisingly comfortable and roomy. Its actually very scooter like without the storage or automatic CVT drive. Wheelbase is likely pretty close to what most scooters have. However side by side it does look a lot smaller.

For me the Grom works best just riding over to my folks place on 25 to 35 MPH back roads and when I don't need to carry anything. I have commuted on it a few times. However some of the drivers are fast despite 25 to 35 MPH limits and the Grom struggles slightly on a 45 MPH stretch when I need to go 50 to 55 MPH. Interestingly the Elite 110 has no issue on this road however I have accidentally bounced off the rev limiter a few times on the Elite 110.
Old 08-19-2014, 12:07 PM   #1294
TheNorthernMonkey
Clueless n00b

Oddometer: 212
With less than 200 miles on the clock, it needs a few more to loosen up a bit.

Change the oil at 200, get it warm for 5 miles, then ride it like you stole it. It'll seem better by 350ish.

I wear a bright yellow helmet and a high vis jacket, but I've had a couple of people not see me. I don't get the odd wave from other bikers, but mostly confused looks.

I've never had a nod or a wave from any Harley rider on any of my bikes. I thought they only sold them to douches
TheNorthernMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 05:27 PM   #1295
savit260
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthernMonkey View Post

I wear a bright yellow helmet and a high vis jacket, but I've had a couple of people not see me. I don't get the odd wave from other bikers, but mostly confused looks.

I've never had a nod or a wave from any Harley rider on any of my bikes. I thought they only sold them to douches

That's odd. I get about 1 wave per 10-15 Harleys on my Zuma 125.

The odds of me getting "the wave" from an HD rider are only slightly worse than from any other person on two wheels.

The odds of the HD guys giving me the "Grumpy Cat" face is always fairly high though!
savit260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #1296
longhaul747
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNorthernMonkey View Post
With less than 200 miles on the clock, it needs a few more to loosen up a bit.

Change the oil at 200, get it warm for 5 miles, then ride it like you stole it. It'll seem better by 350ish.

Yeah I agree, its possible as the engine breaks in more this could close the gap between the Grom and the others. I already noticed a big difference in how it runs now with a 150 miles on it now. It seems during the first 50 miles the Grom was kind of stiff and it was kind of hard to find a gear that it was happy to be in. It got a little better between 50 and a 100 miles then even better with between 100 and 150 miles. Its like the torque had opened up. I am sure part of this is just me learning the bike but it also seems the Grom has a pretty steep break in process.
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #1297
goodcat8
I can pass this guy.....

Oddometer: 2,969
205?

Grom 3000 mile trek

http://lanesplitter.jalopnik.com/thi...ium=socialflow
Old 08-22-2014, 01:28 PM   #1298
JagLite
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 977
Cool2 Second again!

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat8 View Post
Nah, not 205, you beat me though
Nice short write up.
Funny how dumb the comments are from people who know nothing about bikes.
Sure, a Grom will cruise at 75 loaded down no problem...
James
JagLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 01:34 AM   #1299
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Just got back from my Summer trip through the Pyrenees.
Did a total of 3000 miles.

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 08:09 PM   #1300
Culcune
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Wow, great run! I don't know if you are a member of Horizonsunlimited, but many people there believe you can only ride long distances on new BMWs or KTMs. Anyone who has a thread about riding a small vehicle cross country is ridiculed and told they are an anomaly for being alive, because you can only survive being on a BIG bike. You should join there and show that long trips are possible on small bikes.
Culcune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #1301
brianwheelies
Iron toocus

Oddometer: 3,094
Quote:
Originally Posted by Culcune View Post
Wow, great run! I don't know if you are a member of Horizonsunlimited, but many people there believe you can only ride long distances on new BMWs or KTMs. Anyone who has a thread about riding a small vehicle cross country is ridiculed and told they are an anomaly for being alive, because you can only survive being on a BIG bike. You should join there and show that long trips are possible on small bikes.
That mentality is unbecoming.

You really get more from your trip on a smaller, slower bike.
brianwheelies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:05 PM   #1302
DaBinChe
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 831
Quote:
Been on the HU a few times and found it hard to navigate.
DaBinChe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM   #1303
Culcune
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianwheelies View Post
That mentality is unbecoming.

You really get more from your trip on a smaller, slower bike.
I'm sure you read this thread--not posted here on battle scooters, though, so a lot of scooter people might have missed it.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988742

Funny thing is, I don't think the father and son were trying to be outrageous by riding what they rode; they just wanted to be cheap and were not riding on any major interstates.

Here is the thread put into a thread I started for discussion--a few people (while being polite) did say exactly what annoys you, while a couple were supportive

http://www.horizonsunlimited.com/hub...nly-huge-77831

Culcune screwed with this post 08-23-2014 at 11:53 PM
Old 08-23-2014, 11:50 PM   #1304
Culcune
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBinChe View Post
Been on the HU a few times and found it hard to navigate.
It seems like they fixed it up--it almost seems like advrider!
Old 08-24-2014, 01:21 AM   #1305
Stray Dog
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
Quote:
Wow, great run! I don't know if you are a member of Horizonsunlimited, but many people there believe you can only ride long distances on new BMWs or KTMs.
I am, and have stopped using that forum for exactly that reason....

Dog
Stray Dog is offline   Reply With Quote