ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 06:51 PM   #1
justadude OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Anyone willing to talk to me about......

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing the KTM 1190. I test rode the bike and was impressed with the performance. However, 2 things really stood out. One of them is a serious potential deal breaker, the other is solved simply with $$. Well, both are solved with $$

The #1 big problem is Heat. I know, I know, you are all thinking here we go again a troll. I have seen the Wings fix and like it, but I would really like to talk and ride with someone local to be sure that the Wings fix works well.
The 2nd issue is the seat. For me anyway it's terrible. Any suggestions for after market seats would be great. I had a 2 up seat for our FJR made at Rich's and it cost me a lot of $$.

Thanks for any feedback.
justadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 07:24 PM   #2
robdogg
turnip truck driver

Oddometer: 1,744
might try the Orange Crush forum.. lots more 1190 owners there as it's not regional
robdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
justadude OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdogg View Post
might try the Orange Crush forum.. lots more 1190 owners there as it's not regional
Thanks robdogg,

I have been to the OC section, but I would really like to cuss, discuss and meet a local with real world experience with the 1190 ADV. Plus there is nothing wrong with meeting people who like the 2 wheel lifestyle.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:13 PM   #4
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Where are you at? I know someone with an 1190 on the free side of Oregon. Rumor has it 2015 will produce a 1290 super adventure... Also today there was a factory test ride in tri-cities, I saw the KTM truck but didn't get to partake. I'm sure the truck will be cruising around the PNW with the mules...many of which have all the fixes on them already.
Old 08-14-2014, 11:10 PM   #5
Maddaddy
Greg

Oddometer: 1,701
Quote:
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
The 2nd issue is the seat. For me anyway it's terrible
It's a stock seat. They are all terrible. unless you're that 2% that the seat actually works .
Old 08-15-2014, 09:26 AM   #6
justadude OP
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacosupreme View Post
Where are you at? I know someone with an 1190 on the free side of Oregon. Rumor has it 2015 will produce a 1290 super adventure... Also today there was a factory test ride in tri-cities, I saw the KTM truck but didn't get to partake. I'm sure the truck will be cruising around the PNW with the mules...many of which have all the fixes on them already.
I'm 30 mile East of Seattle, North Bend WA.
Free side of Oregon, I like that!
Old 08-15-2014, 11:03 PM   #7
tacosupreme
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 257
Quote:
Originally Posted by justadude View Post
I'm 30 mile East of Seattle, North Bend WA.
Free side of Oregon, I like that!
You know, the hillbilly side of the state lol. Just to help complicate matters...the 1290 super adventure-
160+Hp...

Personally, I think my 990 is too heavy, but it's nice 2up and on the freeway and does 97% of what I need it to do in the dirt. If I did a lot of highway miles I can see the allure of the bigger bikes, and frankly they aren't that much heavier than a 990.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:46 AM   #8
Rainier_runner
Epic Adventurer

Oddometer: 285
I have an 1190R. I live in yelm. I can say that it gets warm, but at the same time you have 150+Hp between your legs in a >500 lbs package.

I've ridden in the high 90's, which is the highest I've experienced. Tolerable. Frankly, I'm looking forward to it in the winter. I'm skipping the wings for now. And while Ive bought a ton of black dog products, i don't care for there side panels. Ultimately it all comes down to you and how sensitive you are. If you want 150 hp between you legs, what are you willing to sacrifice..?
Old 08-16-2014, 10:16 AM   #9
woodsrider-boyd
Wow, these guys are fast

Oddometer: 448
I90 Motorsports in Issaquah is having a KTM "Street Demo Event" on Saturday 8/21, 10 am - 4 pm.

I went to one of their Triumph demo ride days a while ago and it was great, got to ride some nice bikes. -Ed

'06 Husqvarna WR125

woodsrider-boyd screwed with this post 08-16-2014 at 11:02 AM
woodsrider-boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:04 PM   #10
Igotthis
So Close...

Oddometer: 57
I did a weekend ride east of the mountains in 97-100 degs, no wings and crapy nonvented "adv"pants with armor that I swear generated heat. If your moving it really isn't bad, and a quick run of standing up riding knocks it right out. In normal west side riding you won't notice it.

The seat on the R, now that you'll notice. You'll shot your passenger off the back if you jump on the fun stick to hard. The covering they put on the back half is Teflon coated. Your ass notices it way to soon, and I have done 1000 mile days on my KZ750 twin cafe. I really think a 2x6 with 80grit stapled to it would be more comfortable.
Igotthis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014, 12:40 AM   #11
davehg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 41
I live in Snoqualmie, so right next door. I have an FJR too, with a Russell day long seat. My 1190R has the wings shields, which help a lot, but you still notice the heat in stop n go traffic, and in hot riding weather. It's not a deal breaker.

The seat hurts after 200 miles, and I have a Renazco in the cue but it won't get here until Nov. I can do 600 mile days without issue on the FJR, so I really hope the Renazco is the ticket. I have an upcoming FJR rally to Bend and wanted to take the KTM but my butt is protesting, so it looks like the FJR until then. Pm if you want to chat. I don't regret the 1190R one bit, as it is faster than the FJR and handles just as well, with great dirt capability to boot. The FJR is a better road touring bike especially in cold or wet weather, so keeping it.
davehg is offline   Reply With Quote