User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-26-2014, 03:07 PM   #1
turbojerk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Hard wiring GPS?

Anyone have tips for hard wiring in a power source for a GPS?

I really don't want the bulky cigarette lighter thing hanging around all the time...

Thanks
T
turbojerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 05:12 PM   #2
sailah
Lampin' it

Oddometer: 5,411
What kind of GPS?

My garmin Montana I hardware the cradle into all my bikes. Makes swapping it around easy. I personally wire mine into an always hot circuit so it doesn't reboot at the gas pump. However this has its draw backs when you forget the GPS there for a week and it kills the battery. Just my personal preference.

Nessmuk
sailah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 07:49 PM   #3
turbojerk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Its a Garmin
Old 08-26-2014, 07:58 PM   #4
dnrobertson
Big Bike, Slow Rider

Oddometer: 756
I cut the cigarette lighter thingy open.

Get rid of the end that plugs into the socket.

You can then solder some wires onto where the tangs for the cigarette socket are. Run them out to you 12V input.

I then got some heat shrink tubing and covered that end. Use a sealant as well if you must.

Then got Velcro dots and put one on the (now much sorter) plug and one on the dash of the bike, but you could mount it somewhere else (out of view and out of the weather).

Depending on model, you should be able to get rid of a bit of the bulk.

2005 KTM 640A
2008 Wee-Strom
dnrobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 03:01 AM   #5
MrPopples
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
why would you hardwire it? that's a pain in the ass ...
just use a small coax connector. they are standard, small, dirt cheap and freaking easy to solder.

plus, you might even find some that are IP67 rated.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coaxial_power_connector
Old 08-27-2014, 06:24 AM   #6
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbojerk View Post
Its a Garmin
That's like saying it's a motorcycle. There are a few different form factors depending in the model or series. Does garmin offer a hardware kit for your gps? That's probably the easiest.

Most of the motorcycle garmins have a solution for hardwiring just give a little more info

Nessmuk
Old 08-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #7
turbojerk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailah View Post
That's like saying it's a motorcycle. There are a few different form factors depending in the model or series. Does garmin offer a hardware kit for your gps? That's probably the easiest.

Most of the motorcycle garmins have a solution for hardwiring just give a little more info
Well I'm not really sure what to say, kinda why I'm asking here... All I wanna do it supply 12V power directly from the batt to the unit... Sounds easy enough but I'm sure that is not that simple and I don't wanna damage the GPS unit...

That being said,... It's a Garmin Nuvi 200. I have not been able to find a wiring kit for this...
Old 08-27-2014, 06:32 AM   #8
turbojerk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I did find this... but not specific to my GPS that I can tell? Has the correct connection though...

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...WrHxoCV8Dw_wcB
Old 08-27-2014, 06:59 AM   #9
Scrivens
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 509
Have a look on eBay for the Garmin cigarette lighter power cable; the Chinese knock-offs are about $5. Cut the wires at the lighter leaving the fuse in the line, (or add one to the (+) wire if the fuse is in the lighter socket thing) solder a battery ring terminal to each of the wires and screw it on the battery. If you want to have it hot only when the ignition is on, a relay will do the trick or use a separate fuse box and plug all your accessories into it. I have the cheapie Garmin leads hanging off Eastern Beaver fuse boxes on my bikes as I don't use a cradle but keep the GPS in a tank bag.

Wiring in a relay: Easiest place to mount one is near the battery as the leads can be kept short and it is near good sources for the trigger wire. It can be left loose in any available spot. Battery (+) to pin 30, battery (-) to pin 85, accessory (+) to pin 87, accessory (-) to pin 85 (double connector or splice the wires), trigger wire to pin 86. I usually tap into the taillight (+) wire.
Scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #10
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,643
I bought a wiring harness from CycoActive, for my old GPS V. It also works on my 60Cx. It is, however, the circular connector with the 4 pins. I wonder if they sell something for your Nuvi.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:06 AM   #11
sailah
Lampin' it

Quote:
I did find this... but not specific to my GPS that I can tell? Has the correct connection though...

http://www.staples.com/office/suppli...WrHxoCV8Dw_wcB
That's what I would do. I'm pretty sure all USB devices follow the same voltage protocol so it should be fine. I was going to suggest something similar. If you do hardwire know that if you don't unplug the gps it will drain the battery. I've flattened a battery in three days unattended.

http://www.amazon.com/Hardwire-Magel...i+USB+hardwire

Nessmuk
Old 08-28-2014, 12:56 AM   #12
OldPete2112
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 126
You are going to have to cut the cable like the others suggest. You are using a non waterproof car series of gps in an outdoor application, so Garmin would never make an open ended cable for it or they would be flooded with claims of water damaged units.

Be careful about using yours in the rain, and don't expect a long life unless you only ride in fair weather. Also the screen may not work with a gloved hand and will be damaged by dirt and chemicals.

Garmin Montana, 60 series, The old Etrex series, the 5 and others were/are all waterproof units so Garmin always offered raw wire ended power and power/data cables for installations on boats or ATV.

The Zumo series are all waterproof touch screens (also resistant to road dirt and fuel) and all have wire harness included as well as car adapters. These things are pretty bullet proof, which is why they cost more.

I used to be a Garmin dealer, so know a little about them. All the other guys are spot on with their advice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
OldPete2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
turbojerk OP
Gnarly Adventurer

I bought a water proof motorcycle mount for is so water isn't an issue...

I ordered the direct to battery install cable listed a few posts back.. Wish me luck!
Old 08-28-2014, 12:00 PM   #14
1 wheel peel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
....I ordered the direct to battery install cable listed a few posts back....
I used that same conector and wired it to a battery tender end. All of my bikes are wired with battery tenders so I can just unplug the power supply and move it to another bike with out having to hard wire all of them.

I used the Battery Tender alligator clips because I already had them. Just cut the clips off and soldier your gps wires to the B/T connector. It already has an inline blade fuse as well.
http://batterytender.com/products/ac...tor-clips.html