ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-21-2014, 10:49 AM   #31
LM15
Adventurer
 
Joined: Jul 2013
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, FL
Oddometer: 37
I have a friend that finished the 2014 Scooter Cannonball on a 2T Stella. It seems to be a great bike. Anyother guy in the local scooter club here has a 4T Stella with sidecar.

Genuine Buddy is a good scoot from all I have seen and heard.
LM15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 02:46 PM   #32
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,660
If you think a Stella is expensive (I got mine for under $3000 OTD) just compare it to a totally restored Vespa P series. The Vespa will cost twice as much. I did not buy the Stella for long distance touring, I bought it for riding around locally, enjoying the experience of riding a vintage 2 stroke manual shift scooter. If you have never ridden one, it's a whole different world from a modern CVT scooter. And 2 stroke Stellas actually seem to be holding their value fairly well. It will probably actually start to increase eventually, because other than a real vintage Vespa at a ridiculous cost, the Stella is the only alternative.

Before I bought the Royal Enfield, I looked into getting a vintage Triumph. Remember those back when they were new? Cheap and very unreliable. Now a nicely restored one costs 2 1/2 to 3 times the price of the Enfield.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:14 PM   #33
scootertrash
Mobile Homie
 
scootertrash's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: "My leg's tired, let's live here."
Oddometer: 2,073
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise2 View Post
Specific Genuine model? Performance expectations? Too lazy to Google?
hmmmm, another friendly helpful reply..
__________________

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 09:45 AM   #34
scootertrash
Mobile Homie
 
scootertrash's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: "My leg's tired, let's live here."
Oddometer: 2,073
I test rode a Stella here in SD a few years ago. It was fun. It needed some adjustments to the idle, too low. Easy fix with a small screwdriver. I was over controlling it at first from my motorcycle reflexes, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The manual shift was fun! This was the 4 stroke version with a 150cc engine I believe. From what I was told, the Indian co that builds the Stella also built the PX series for Vespa towards the end of the product cycle.
I have been wanting one for a few years myself..
__________________

TV-free for 7 years and counting
"The difference between Adventure and Adversity is Attitude"
scootertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:56 AM   #35
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vt1099ace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California, Yuba city
Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by scootertrash View Post
I test rode a Stella here in SD a few years ago. It was fun. It needed some adjustments to the idle, too low. Easy fix with a small screwdriver. I was over controlling it at first from my motorcycle reflexes, but I got used to it pretty quickly. The manual shift was fun! This was the 4 stroke version with a 150cc engine I believe. From what I was told, the Indian co that builds the Stella also built the PX series for Vespa towards the end of the product cycle.
I have been wanting one for a few years myself..
I have a 4t stella too, there was idle adjustment needed also, and a vapor-lock situation a few times... popped on a 2t vented gas cap, had dealer adjust carb and viola! no more problems. Remember they are shipped all over the world and most of that doesn't use e15 gas (or so I was told on MB forum) so here it runs like crap until adjusted.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 12:38 PM   #36
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 389
I saw a 2009 Stella 2T with 500-miles on Craigslist. Seller wants MSRP for it ($3500).

I'm tempted to try one, if the value will continue to increase.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 05:41 PM   #37
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dabears's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta Burbs
Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73Mustang View Post
I saw a 2009 Stella 2T with 500-miles on Craigslist. Seller wants MSRP for it ($3500).

I'm tempted to try one, if the value will continue to increase.
How far are you from Atlanta? There are around a half dozen on Craigslist all for under $2500. They show up all the time and don't seem to hold value here. There was a bunch of scooter dealers here that sold genuine up to around 2010, then they mostly closed. The owner of a large chain passed away and the family shut them down from here to Miami. Lots of Stella's got dumped on the market cheap.
__________________
Dabears

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:15 PM   #38
wheelbender6
Gnarly Adventurer
 
wheelbender6's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2013
Location: Houston area
Oddometer: 123
My Buddy 125 has 2000 miles on it now. It has been dead reliable and a lot of fun.
__________________
"We're going back to far, far away, one way or another!" Shrek
wheelbender6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 10:37 PM   #39
73Mustang
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Oddometer: 389
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
How far are you from Atlanta? There are around a half dozen on Craigslist all for under $2500. They show up all the time and don't seem to hold value here. There was a bunch of scooter dealers here that sold genuine up to around 2010, then they mostly closed. The owner of a large chain passed away and the family shut them down from here to Miami. Lots of Stella's got dumped on the market cheap.
Well I'm in Texas. It's all that oil money (I've been told) that drive up prices.
73Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 02:52 AM   #40
JerryH
Vintage Rider
 
JerryH's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2009
Location: Chandler, AZ
Oddometer: 4,660
Considering I paid under $3000 brand new for mine, I'd say $2500 for a used one is holding it's value pretty good. As good or better than any Asian scooter (I don't mean Chinese) I suspect the price will start to go back up as demand increases. Due to the rarity and cost of a real vintage Vespa, and because of the EPA, there will never be any more 2 stroke scooters sold in the U.S. (at least not 150cc) demand for Stellas will continue to increase, as they will be the least expensive way to have a 2 stroke manual shift scooter. Replacement and tuning parts will always be there.

Yes LML did in fact build real Vespas at one time, with Vespa badges on them. There is not much difference between a Stella and a real LML built Vespa but the name.

As for Genuine scooters in general, it seems the Buddy is by far the best of them as far as reliability goes.
__________________
I won't spend more on a bike than I think it's worth, but if it's a good deal, I don't seem to have a problem buying bikes I don't need.
2002 Vulcan 750, 2013 Royal Enfield B5
2001 XT225, 2009 Genuine Stella
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 04:32 AM   #41
Dabears
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dabears's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Atlanta Burbs
Oddometer: 1,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
Considering I paid under $3000 brand new for mine, I'd say $2500 for a used one is holding it's value pretty good. As good or better than any Asian scooter (I don't mean Chinese) I suspect the price will start to go back up as demand increases. Due to the rarity and cost of a real vintage Vespa, and because of the EPA, there will never be any more 2 stroke scooters sold in the U.S. (at least not 150cc) demand for Stellas will continue to increase, as they will be the least expensive way to have a 2 stroke manual shift scooter. Replacement and tuning parts will always be there.

Yes LML did in fact build real Vespas at one time, with Vespa badges on them. There is not much difference between a Stella and a real LML built Vespa but the name.

As for Genuine scooters in general, it seems the Buddy is by far the best of them as far as reliability goes.
Actually, I said under $2500. That was the high end asking price. Most seem to hover around $2k or less. I do agree that prices will not fall much further, simply because they are the last of the two stroke shifty's, albeit ones made in India. You don't need to argue and continue to say they're the same as Vespas. I've never heard of Vespa owners removing their logos or rebadging them as Stellas in the hope that people will think their old Italian Vespas are new Indian Stellas.
__________________
Dabears

2012 SYM HD200 Evo
2006 R1200GS
1980 Vespa P200E
Dabears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 06:32 AM   #42
Jim Moore
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Moore's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2001
Location: Jax, FL
Oddometer: 12,648
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelbender6 View Post
My Buddy 125 has 2000 miles on it now. It has been dead reliable and a lot of fun.
Izzat your boat in the background? 'Cause it's SWEET!
__________________
Jim Moore
Jax, FL

Pay the lady, PirateJohn, you thieving piece of garbage.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=949341
Jim Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 09:20 AM   #43
vt1099ace
Gnarly Adventurer
 
vt1099ace's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California, Yuba city
Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dabears View Post
Actually, I said under $2500. That was the high end asking price. Most seem to hover around $2k or less. I do agree that prices will not fall much further, simply because they are the last of the two stroke shifty's, albeit ones made in India. You don't need to argue and continue to say they're the same as Vespas. I've never heard of Vespa owners removing their logos or rebadging them as Stellas in the hope that people will think their old Italian Vespas are new Indian Stellas.
I know in india, stella's (or "star" as the LML badge) are used for everything...from removing the rear wheel and used as a wench to piling the whole family on. It truly amazes me.
vt1099ace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 12:26 PM   #44
MisterD
n00b
 
Joined: Feb 2014
Location: Auckland, EnZed
Oddometer: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post



Yes LML did in fact build real Vespas at one time, with Vespa badges on them. There is not much difference between a Stella and a real LML built Vespa but the name.

The biggest difference is the motor, the PX Vespa uses a rotary valve induction whereas the Stella/Star/Belladonna has a reed valve setup.
MisterD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 01:06 PM   #45
KendallT
Adventurer
 
KendallT's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2014
Location: Sand Springs (Tulsa), OK
Oddometer: 20
In the beginning... I would have agreed with some previous comments related to a 2 stroke over a 4 stroke Stella. After regretting selling my 2 stroke, I wound up with a 4 stroke about a year and a half ago. At first I missed the power (had some mods), the sound and the smell of the 2 stroke. However, after over a year of worry free riding with no oil leaks in the garage... the 4 stroke has grown on me. Sounds like you don't want to be fiddling with you scooter too much, so I would definitely go with a new 4T... and stick with the 4spd; you'll be happy you did. I am keep my eye out for a 2T though... they are a lot of fun and there are a ton of performance parts for them. One of the funnest rides out there under 60mph :-)
Attached Images
 
KendallT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014