ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2014, 06:12 PM   #106
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,949
Hard rainfall for several hours last night, but it was accompanied by a LOT of lightning. Carryovers can wait until this weekend when it is supposed to be in the 90s again.
Cross your fingers!

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #107
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Oddometer: 1,919
Oh what fresh hell is this - mudslides and flash floods close highway 20 between Twisp and Okanogan and highway 153 between Twisp and Carlton. Looking forward to the first snows

my smugmug: http://svizzerams.smugmug.com

Proud to be Riff Raff 07-08-09-10-11 !!!!
svizzerams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:03 AM   #108
81husky
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 109
Quote:
Originally Posted by svizzerams View Post
Looking forward to the first snows
I've thought the same thing, but with our luck this year, be careful what you ask for.
81husky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 10:30 AM   #109
81forest OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 931
Quote:
Oh what fresh hell is this - mudslides and flash floods close highway 20 between Twisp and Okanogan and highway 153 between Twisp and Carlton. Looking forward to the first snows
Good grief! What a year it has been. At this rate, the snow will come in 20 foot drifts and bury the loup loup ski bowl before it can open for business.
81forest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014, 12:50 PM   #110
KENPCPILOT
n00b

Oddometer: 1
makes me sick

This was my favorite region for off road and single track riding and making new tracks in the open wilderness. Hope recover is short
KENPCPILOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:31 PM   #111
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

So - last Thursday had one hell of a storm...again. In the Methow. Again. Friends "had" a cabin in French Creek, near the town of Methow, that burned in the first stage of the Apocalypse 2014 (the fire). I went to check on their property Friday after the storm Apocalypse stage 3 (the flood); [stage 2 was the wind storm that took down a bunch of trees that roared through about a week after the fire]:

The road in:

Where some mud/rocks/other debris arrived from to coat the road:

The drive way with remnants of the cabin in the background:

This used to be the pond:

A little farther down another mudslide across the road:

I'd say cue up the locusts next but there's nothing left for them to eat....So I figure like a previous poster that the winter is going to be one for the record books.....It has been heartbreaking to see all this happening to friends and neighbors. Crazy.

Old 08-28-2014, 04:29 AM   #112
Ladybug0048
Bug Sister

Oddometer: 10,809
I feel for all the folks in that area that have lost so much and have an uphill battle to climb.
Ladybug0048 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #113
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 265
Finally on the way to recovery and rebuilding.

Looks pretty green considering what a wasteland it was a few weeks ago... I suddenly realized that this weekend is Labor day... I literally just lost two months.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 AM   #114
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelyogi View Post
Finally on the way to recovery and rebuilding.

Looks pretty green considering what a wasteland it was a few weeks ago... I suddenly realized that this weekend is Labor day... I literally just lost two months.
Is the foundation useable or are you just going to demo and start over?
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2014, 07:48 PM   #115
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Nice to see you have progress going on! It has been a wild few weeks.

An interesting video of the mudslides from last week (esp. around the 12 min mark).

http://vimeo.com/104463724

Old 08-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #116
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by what broke now View Post
Is the foundation useable or are you just going to demo and start over?
All the concrete was badly damaged, fire cracked and spalled. Adjuster wrote it all off. We start with a clean slate.
I'm rather excited about this prospect. I work as a lead carpenter in our area. I've gotten to be involved with some rather nice houses over the past couple of decades. Here's one recent example... Cast Architecture.
Now I probably won't build this modern/sterile, after all, I live in the Methow and a Met-house has got to have some funk! I get to play on a house of my own! Sahweet.
Our plan is to rebuild the barn this fall and work on the plans/premitting for the house, this winter. Start up in spring...
Old 08-30-2014, 08:52 AM   #117
michaelyogi
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Nice to see you have progress going on! It has been a wild few weeks.

An interesting video of the mudslides from last week (esp. around the 12 min mark).

http://vimeo.com/104463724
I saw this vid. The reality, as you well know is far greater and more tragic.
The insurance companies have lots of way to get out of paying in a flood/mudslide scenario. It's really sad. You need to have the right kind of insurance for this kind of situation. And the definitions of these slides is the key to actually being insured! Floods, mean water, and mudslides, are acts of god. These folks are having a hard time with their version of disaster. Our stuff is just gone, poof! They still have their stuff and it's all fucked up beyond belief. Mud is into everything and everywhere. I saw closed drawers stuffed full of mud! Logs, boulders, debris of all sorts just strewn about.
The Methow River below Twisp is a garbage dump right now. Literally. Septic tanks, fuel tanks, tires, refrigerators, fencing, busted up lumber, vehicles... it just goes on. A friend of mine just kayaked this stretch to get an idea of the damage... he said it stunk on the river. He also gps'd lot's of the debris and submitted this info to the proper authorities. The river is still colored baby shit brown...
This is the summer we'll never forget, even though we want to...
Old 08-31-2014, 10:44 AM   #118
what broke now
Petroleum Brother

Oddometer: 1,303
Quote:
All the concrete was badly damaged, fire cracked and spalled. Adjuster wrote it all off. We start with a clean slate.
I'm rather excited about this prospect. I work as a lead carpenter in our area. I've gotten to be involved with some rather nice houses over the past couple of decades. Here's one recent example... Cast Architecture.
Now I probably won't build this modern/sterile, after all, I live in the Methow and a Met-house has got to have some funk! I get to play on a house of my own! Sahweet.
Our plan is to rebuild the barn this fall and work on the plans/premitting for the house, this winter. Start up in spring...
That is a great opportunity to build your own. If the insurance payout is favorable, you might beat the number and have some dough left over since you are the gc. Good luck with permitting, maybe they will go easy on residents after the disaster.

Small world, I did a project with Cast in Seattle before I retired.
what broke now is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2014, 02:00 PM   #119
Squishy
Positively charged

Oddometer: 1,230
Quote:
I'm glad that they are letting you start at the ground level, it gives you an exciting project ahead after enduring such a life changing event.
We had an insurance pay out because of a neighbor felling his tree through our house, i only wish we could've started at the footings & totally rebuilt rather than upgrading on a previous design footprint.
Thanks for the link to Cast, i worked in the tilt up business years ago when it was branching off into the custom residential market.
I would like to follow your rebuild, maybe start a new thread covering the rebuiding of homes in the area, & post a link.

All the best with this new start. Good luck.
Squishy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #120
svizzerams
Rx Rangerette

Another video:

Filming_Carlton Complex_Day3_Loup_Tstorm_8/3/14 from BROTHERDOUG on Vimeo.