User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2006, 05:17 PM   #1
RLK OP

Oddometer: 6,304
Geely QT21 basket case

Hello.

I found a basket case storage-shed Geely today and it was in my back yard, but not in my shed. I rent my house but not this shed that is on the property. The shed is the domain of the landlady's father who uses it to fix old busted junk to try to sell at the flea market. I've seen lawn tractors and snow blowers and string trimmers etc. in this shed/shop in my back yard for years. Half of my back yard is full of old busted junk waiting to be fixed by my landlady's father so he can take it to the flea market and try to sell it. His name is Ed.

Ed is 80ish yeasr old, has been sick all winter, in and out of the hospital. Before today I hadn't seen him since October. But there he was today, poking around this shed that stuffed full of junk to the point that he can't take a step without stumbling over something.

Part of that something taking up space in his shed was this...

Carburator is missing. Ed has the side panel and floorboard and some other miselaneous debris for this thing thats been stuffed in the shed in my back yard all winter.

He and I talked for a while. It's not his but it belongs to somone in the neighborhood who just wanted it gone after they rode it 84 miles then took it apart and couldn't put it back together, so they gave it to Ed who stuffed it in the shed.

Ed needs more room in his shed so I offered to store it in my shed, 10 feet away, that has stored my XL since I bought my 4Runner.

This carb-less basket case of a Geely QT 21, 49cc, air cooled scooter now rests in my rented shed and I have the key.

How should I proceed from here to get it running again? Where do you look to buy a carburator for a Geely?

I'd love to buy it and join the scooterista if Ed and I can get it into running order.

Little help please??

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 12:32 PM   #2
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,253
contact Provo Scooters--they can help.

http://www.provoscooter.com

They may try to upsell you to a 19mm carb.

That scoot is $800 delivered to your door so I wouldn't put a ton of money in it.

If it's got the minarelli motor parts should be pretty easy to get.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2006, 06:47 PM   #3
RLK OP

Oddometer: 6,304
Thanks Photog.

I think I found a site that seems to have Geely branded OEM stuff. I've been searching all day on the web and in meatspace.

I found a junkyard with a couple of no-name things. They have motors with vertical pistons, the exhaust comes out the back on these, manual choke and premix fuel, not oil injected like my Geely. They are about to be sold for scrap because both were run without oil and motors went BOOM. Carbs are good, or at least there and looking good. I prefer the manual choke, its one less thing to break.

My shed queen has a horizontal motor with the spark plug at the front and exhaust out the bottom. Oil injected, electric choke. Do I have the Minarelli design? On the Jug it says LQ E50FM 82cc. It looks just like a Yamaha Vino. This thing seems to be in un-crashed 84 mile-and a winter in the shed condition. Its purdy! The electric starter cranks it over so I know it's not siezed. Its been on a battery tender till yesterday. I'd be a sin to not re-vive it.

I think i've found what I need at http://geely-usa.net/parts/parts.asp?st=s. I might buy the manual choke, non injection junkyard carb and try to run it on pre-mix just for fun. I'll only be out ~$25 if it dosen't work.

The owner forgot he ever bought it and gave it to Ed. Its mine now, for free.

-Juanito on the Yahoo!
RLK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2006, 09:44 AM   #4
Samarkand
Adventurer

Oddometer: 27
Just FYI...in terms of no-name Chinese scooters, Geely has the all-time worst rep ever. There were a number of different Geely importers--that is "yeah, want a scoot? just pick one out of the shipping container" types--who brought in all sorts of variations. If you got a free Geely, you're the only one who ever got a decent price for 'em.

Then again, just rip off all the panels, get the motor running, stick on a nitrous kit, weld on a couple cross frames, and you'll have a cheap sprinter...

Samarkand
Samarkand is offline   Reply With Quote