User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
carverboatboy OP
?

Oddometer: 34
n00b with a question

Ok so Ive got like 2 strikes on me (n00b and a china scooter) but Id like to ask a question. I have a 2005 ASA (China import) 150 4 stroke, I like it, it rides ok, the top speed is ok but I can lose 10 mph going into a 2 mph head wind. First thought is to help it breathe better, remove the stock air cleaner set up, start the motor and it is so starved for fuel it will not run!

So my question for you knowledgeable folk is this, anyone ever re-jet or change carbs on a similar machine and did it help?

Jeff
carverboatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 05:07 AM   #2
JohnTM
I suck toes

Oddometer: 29,206
Quote:
Originally Posted by carverboatboy
Ok so Ive got like 2 strikes on me (n00b and a china scooter) but Id like to ask a question. I have a 2005 ASA (China import) 150 4 stroke, I like it, it rides ok, the top speed is ok but I can lose 10 mph going into a 2 mph head wind. First thought is to help it breathe better, remove the stock air cleaner set up, start the motor and it is so starved for fuel it will not run!

So my question for you knowledgeable folk is this, anyone ever re-jet or change carbs on a similar machine and did it help?

Jeff

Oh yes! All the newer scoots (and bikes) have this problem. They are run so lean that any extra air really thins it out too much to run. The Big Ruckus has the same issue, so I'm rejetting it.

My approach is to use an O2 sensor to read what is really happening in the carb - it makes the job MUCH easier and faster. Seat-of-the-pants tuning works fine too - I've done that many times. The O2 method is great, but it requires TIG welding skills, an investment in an O2 sensor and reader (K&N makes one), and being a serious nerd. The trial-and-error method is much cooler, and is cheap.

Do a little searching here for re-jetting and carburetors. Fitz, Photog, and others have written volumes on the subject and done a much better job of it than I can.....
JohnTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2006, 12:17 PM   #3
carverboatboy OP
?

Oddometer: 34
Thanks

Thanks for the answers.. I tried the search thing and came up empty. I have a carb coming from a Honda 100 that Im going to try and mod to fit. Who knows it might work or I might wind up with a basket full of motor parts.

Jeff
carverboatboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #4
donsolo
MasterOfLosingMaps

Oddometer: 156
the basket is always way more fun in the end anyway