User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-2006, 10:59 AM   #1
Cubist OP
Simple Fool & His Big Pig

Oddometer: 50
Sold My Vino 125

Well, I had to take my 125 in for a 2000 mile service, front brakes, a new rear tire(number 3), and a state inspection. When I went to pick it up, I was surprised when the dealer made me an offer to buy it. I went home and thought about it, and today I accepted it. They offered more than blue book too. To tell you the truth, these last few days that it's been in the shop, I've been riding my GS everyday, and I got to like it. I got to love the power, and the freedom that it brings.

I didn't really want the scooter back. The bottom line is, I ride everyday. Every day. The 125 wasn't holding up to that. It only has 6200 miles on it, and here I am on my second exhaust and third rear tire. I'm tired of this "cheap" scooter costing me lots of money. My GS, has cost me about $350 since buying it. Most of that was a 12000 mile service which I was glad to do. The 125 has cost me almost a $1000. How can that be? Do I keep up with the preventative maintenance? Yes. Do I abuse it? No. Do I ride it everyday? Yes. I think the 125 was as advertised, but that I just ride it too much.

I feel it was time to move on.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #2
UberXY
Patent Pending

Oddometer: 131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubist
Well, I had to take my 125 in for a 2000 mile service, front brakes, a new rear tire(number 3), and a state inspection. When I went to pick it up, I was surprised when the dealer made me an offer to buy it. I went home and thought about it, and today I accepted it. They offered more than blue book too. To tell you the truth, these last few days that it's been in the shop, I've been riding my GS everyday, and I got to like it. I got to love the power, and the freedom that it brings.

I didn't really want the scooter back. The bottom line is, I ride everyday. Every day. The 125 wasn't holding up to that. It only has 6200 miles on it, and here I am on my second exhaust and third rear tire. I'm tired of this "cheap" scooter costing me lots of money. My GS, has cost me about $350 since buying it. Most of that was a 12000 mile service which I was glad to do. The 125 has cost me almost a $1000. How can that be? Do I keep up with the preventative maintenance? Yes. Do I abuse it? No. Do I ride it everyday? Yes. I think the 125 was as advertised, but that I just ride it too much.

I feel it was time to move on.
Use the money to get a new fuel injected Vespa 250, or one of the 500cc mega cruisers.

Ub
Old 04-08-2006, 02:56 PM   #3
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
The cheapo Eton 50cc scoots around here are doing 18K km or so before their first rebuild, no other work done prior. They look ugly as hell but run fine.

Thumptastic's got 20+K km (?) on his Super 9.

There are a couple of Stellas running around with 30K miles on 'em, daily drivers.

I think you got a lemon.

For me, commuting on the GS for my 7 mile commute is like swatting a fly with a howitzer. I've been stuck in my Jeep lately due to logistics (wheelchair) and it pisses me off to no end that I'm not enjoying 80mpg.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
KaminoChiizu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
I'm fairly certain you wouldn't have those problems on a Ruckus.
KaminoChiizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 03:33 PM   #5
KaminoChiizu
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Well, except the power difference with your GS.
KaminoChiizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Photog
Charismatic Megafauna

Oddometer: 46,246
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaminoChiizu
Well, except the power difference with your GS.
The Ruckus doesn't ping.

Like I like. Yep.
Photog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:52 PM   #7
BUBB
lynch not Zimmerman

Oddometer: 20,676
I'm glad I haven't shared the same type experience w/ my vino.

I've had my Vino 6 months or so and it has about 2700 miles on it. I did the 600 mile service myself. I didn't have time to do the 2600 mile service so I paid the dealer something like $85 bucks for the service. They didn't replace the drive belt.

Other than a nut that came off the exhaust that cost about $8 !!!! grrrr !!!! that's the only money I've spent on it. The back tire looks almost new.

I don't baby it - I keep it wide open out on the main roads and get 70 mpg or so.

If I had had your set of problems I would be glad to get rid of mine but as it stands I think I'm pretty happy w/ it.

Any ideas on what made your tires wear?
BUBB is offline   Reply With Quote