User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-12-2006, 11:40 AM   #1
805gregg OP
Just Stroming along

Oddometer: 1,503
Highland Motors

Check out the new bikes from Highland of Sweden at www.highland.se look at the outback 936cc v-twin at 370 lbs.
805gregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 02:03 PM   #2
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,354
They may be new to you but Highland have been around for some time now.

More about them here;

http://www.highland-motorcycles.co.uk/
Old 04-12-2006, 07:10 PM   #3
jehu
∩HƏſ

Oddometer: 3,593
I like the dirt tracker.
jehu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
GODSPEED
finger lickin' good

Oddometer: 2,075
Man, this is what we need. A 370# twin DS with good suspension, decent fuel range. Oh how I wish they were here in the US. Then I could find a used one for sale. I thought that they went out of business; good to still see them around.

Highland Desert Storm

I'd rather do it than watch it.

Those of you with spouse and SO's know this already, but man give them a big hug, and don't take anything foregranted. - MACK RIP

When 51% of the grasshoppers vote, the ants are screwed.

http://godspeed.smugmug.com/Motorcycles
GODSPEED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:08 AM   #5
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,175
There was a used one on ebay not too long ago - they were imported to the us in small numbers. IIRC they have been around since at least 97 (with the big, light twin cylinder dual sport). Never really sold too well though.
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 10:42 AM   #6
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,094
I do believe they took two husaberg singles to make the twin motor. If anything like a Husaberg be ready for frequent valve checks .
Sweet bikes, not sure on the reliability.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
Welshman
B.U.F.F.

Oddometer: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy
I do believe they took two husaberg singles to make the twin motor. If anything like a Husaberg be ready for frequent valve checks .
Sweet bikes, not sure on the reliability.
A South African tester suspected a cam chain tensioner issue, it dropped him in hospital trying to ride it home cam chainbroke and locked it up solid!

Welshie
Welshman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:10 AM   #8
mb182
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 149
there was a rep at the Indy dealers expo three years ago tring to sign up dealers - guess he didn't have much success. Nice looking bike tho

MB
mb182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 05:54 AM   #9
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,632
testimonial

from http://news.motorcycle.com/article.m...nested&thold=1

Re: Adventure Touring: Go There, Go Anywhere (Score: 2, Insighful)
By stapleking on Monday, July 11 2005 @ 05:11:18 PDT
(User Info | Send a Message)
Interesting comparo; I have just returned from Sweden where I had an opportunity to compare the [unavailable in the U.S.] Highland 950 V-twin adventure bikes with the KTM 950 offering during several hours of rural Swedish back-road bashing. The KTM is indeed nicely refined and rides much lighter and nimbler than its size and heft would indicate. Having said that, the unexpectedly high vibration levels at any and all engine speeds were annoying and curious in light of the twin balance shaft architecture of the motor.

However, the Highland, in all 3 iterations [Motard, Allroad, and Adventure] simply blows the KTM away. Sportbike HP, coupled with dirtbike torque and racebike handling makes an unreal package. And, little vibration from a non-balance shaft V-twin which, by the way, is the lightest currently on the planet. The entire bike is a [relative] feather-weight at 360 lbs., dry. If I had a complaint, it is that the Highland is a little too "racy" - not surprising since it is the product of a partnership of ex-motocross and speedway racing stars and engineers from the halycon days of Husqvarna and Husaberg. The seat, peg and bar ergonomics work to push you forward over the tank with elbows splayed and on your toes. Great in the dirt but less so at high speed on pavement. Having said that, on a "technical" road course such a Louden, I would bet my Vanson leather suit I could lap faster on the Highland than on my full-race Buell Thunderbike class machine. As for canyon dicing, it would give a current liter-class sportbike fits.

Oh, I forgot to mention, the price is obscene [$16K], even in Europe, but it IS basically a hand-built homolgation special that employs all the best bits available for every single function screwed together by guys who know how these hybrid bikes are supposed to work.
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 08:15 AM   #10
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb182
there was a rep at the Indy dealers expo three years ago tring to sign up dealers - guess he didn't have much success. Nice looking bike tho

MB
Yeah, he was handging out in the Vendors forum at one stage too.
Old 05-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #11
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,485
There is one at my KTM dealer. I've been in there a lot of times & have never seen it before. The counterkid told me he thought it was for sale. No, I didn't ask.

AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 06:47 PM   #12
SATEX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,220
Submitted without comment. It looks cool, but it's an orphan.
'03 KTM 640AdvR - Sold, and I miss her
Several other KTMs, Suzukis, etc.
SATEX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 07:37 PM   #13
AceRph
Affluenza Free!

Oddometer: 24,485
Too bad. Cool bike.

Interesting that the guy that posted had a few for sale & this one appeared this week. Like I said, I've never seen it there. The counterkid said he didn't know why they brought it back out on the floor.
AceRph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 04:02 PM   #14
John in Leeds
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 377
I tried one

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceRph
There is one at my KTM dealer. I've been in there a lot of times & have never seen it before. The counterkid told me he thought it was for sale. No, I didn't ask.

I had the chance of a ride on the Highland Motard 950 demonstrator at Rock and Road in Bolton (UK) just before Christmas. For some time I have wanted a dual purpose fun bike – a bit of an impossibility I suppose but after being conned by the 1150gs I gave up the quest and just went for biking fun and interest. Present bike after numerous large jap sports and tourers is an ’04 Rosso Corsa Guzzi – not the most powerful bike on the road but in my humble opinion certainly the most engaging to ride, after 18 months of real pleasure this ones a keeper.

The BM was marketed as a dual sport machine with excellent build quality and reliability. The reality was some what different – fantastic handling on tarmac and well surfaced dry dirt, strong motor, good fuel mileage but desperate gearbox (nice high top for cruising) crunch clatter ‘they are all like that sir’. Corroding rims and cycle parts in less than 6 months. No low speed ability for technical stuff and gargantuan weight. Did a lot of gentle off road in the Yorkshire dales to improve my technique but what a brute, did well not to kill myself. Just couldn’t get it to work. Sent it on it’s way after a trip round Italy (it wept oil in near 40 degree heat) and not regretted. BTW I thoroughly recommend Rainbow in Sheffield for service – head and shoulders above the rest.

Tried the Wee Strom, what a nice machine, comfortable all rounder but too much plastic for my adventure stuff. Smooth sweet motor with good range in slow and fast going, budget suspension is just that but acceptable. It does not pretend to be something it isn’t.

Africa twin and Transalp do the job quite well but are very greedy when pushed, a bit heavy and I found (sorry Honda fans) a bit boring.

Suzuki DRZ400s has the handling but is hard work on the open road. Could just do with that sort of off road ability with a bit better touring capacity. To be able to plonk along at a comfortable 90 with a little luggage and reasonable fuel range and consumption. The relatively close ratio gearbox and untuned motor won’t allow both ruff stuff and decent touring. Shame, close but no cigar.

Had a look at the KTMs 950 990 Adventure, God are they BIG and Ugly (sorry that’s not objective) so didn’t even try one.

So to the Highland – looks good to me, excellent materials, fit and finish, best quality parts in suspension and wheels. Weight 165 kilos dry seems a bit lardy for an off roader but for a 950 that’s a real lightweight. So to the ride on wet roads, sealed but rough with bad potholing and washouts and smooth motorway. What a bike, all the power I want with loads of effortless grunt where you need it and as much top speed, easy peasy 100+ but could do with a small screen to reduce the wind blast. Sweet handling although the suspension had been set a little firm for road use (apparently they have been using it at Cadwell Park circuit to frighten the sports bikes in it’s supa moto guise). The motor was really smooth over 2500 but off idle would not fuel smoothly where you really need it for technical trails, tight rocky turns and that sort of stuff. For riders who like to ‘really get on’ this would be no problem but for me there are places I just want to plod. Unusually for this type of bike the seating was really comfortable and could be used for all types of riding (not head down, ass up) suited me well 6’ 1”, 200lbs, 33inch inseam, just a little high but when you are moving no problem.

This could be my perfect general purpose bike, even giving me some pride in it’s obvious build quality and components. But…. could I live with the off idle fuelling? What a dilemma – I will get back when the decision has been made.

John in Leeds screwed with this post 04-16-2010 at 01:35 AM
John in Leeds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2007, 10:53 PM   #15
Tim
Beastly Adventurer

Thanks John, what is the OTR price? I e-mailed Rock and Road as there are no prices on their 'site but had no reply.