User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-26-2006, 06:31 AM   #1
Chain Gun OP
2nd Time 'Round

Oddometer: 100
Honda Trail 90's, Cub's and Elite's

This week I got to to do some work at the shipyard in Avondale, Louisiana operated by Northrup Grumman. What surprised me was all of the Honda Trail 90's, Cub's and Elites that were in use.

I asked one of the guys I was working with about the Trail 90 he was riding. He told me he got it new in 1980. The odometer read almost 24,000 miles. It had some rust on the exhaust and some pieces were missing and he didn't know when the last time the oil was changed, but it would start with one kick. He said the Elites were not as good as the Trail 90's or Cubs. As a side note, all of these bikes had weathered Hurricane Katrina.

The other thing that surprised me was the fact that here was a U.S. company that was allowing the use of motorcycles to accomplish daily tasks. As big and as busy as the ship yard is, I cannot think of a more economical and efficient way to move a person from point A to point B.

I don't know what type of training was required to ride at the ship yard, but
everyone who was riding was wearing a helmet and appeared to be riding safely. I relize that my observations over just three days doesn't mean much, but in this day and age of litigation if there were any real problems the use of motorcycles would have been stopped a long time ago.

I apologize for not having any pictures, but being that they were working on U.S. Navy ships, cameras were not allowed.

It was great to see the old stuff still working in such numbers on a daily basis. In this day of advanced electronics, I still wish all bikes came with "KICK STARTERS." (just in case!)
Old 05-26-2006, 07:30 AM   #2
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
They are very versatile.

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 10:57 AM   #3
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,407
ct90

Here’s one (mine) not mocked up with a scabbard that would knock one’s face as forks compressed, one small advantage to old leading link front end. Note 38 (got big cats?) on rear pack, and shovel. All motorcycles operated in National Forest must have spark arrestor (CT 200 [old pushrod 90] was first production bike with SA), shovel and bucket. Newer amendment allows helmet to substitute for both.

Saddle bags, $5 at Army-Navy store.
Attached Images

PapaYolk screwed with this post 05-26-2006 at 11:03 AM
PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
chuckklr04
Banned

Oddometer: 4,612
My buddy Frank use to repair them at Avondale.He still loves little bikes due to that experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chain Gun
This week I got to to do some work at the shipyard in Avondale, Louisiana operated by Northrup Grumman. What surprised me was all of the Honda Trail 90's, Cub's and Elites that were in use.

I asked one of the guys I was working with about the Trail 90 he was riding. He told me he got it new in 1980. The odometer read almost 24,000 miles. It had some rust on the exhaust and some pieces were missing and he didn't know when the last time the oil was changed, but it would start with one kick. He said the Elites were not as good as the Trail 90's or Cubs. As a side note, all of these bikes had weathered Hurricane Katrina.

The other thing that surprised me was the fact that here was a U.S. company that was allowing the use of motorcycles to accomplish daily tasks. As big and as busy as the ship yard is, I cannot think of a more economical and efficient way to move a person from point A to point B.

I don't know what type of training was required to ride at the ship yard, but
everyone who was riding was wearing a helmet and appeared to be riding safely. I relize that my observations over just three days doesn't mean much, but in this day and age of litigation if there were any real problems the use of motorcycles would have been stopped a long time ago.

I apologize for not having any pictures, but being that they were working on U.S. Navy ships, cameras were not allowed.

It was great to see the old stuff still working in such numbers on a daily basis. In this day of advanced electronics, I still wish all bikes came with "KICK STARTERS." (just in case!)
chuckklr04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:21 PM   #5
RocketJohn
Hook em' Horns!

Oddometer: 11,315
How fast will a Cub 90cc go?
RocketJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 03:34 PM   #6
Srbenda
Embassy of South Carolina

Oddometer: 11,974
Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketJohn
That proabaly depends on how fat you are....
It seemed to me that the earth may he borrowed but not bought. It may be used but not owned. It gives itself in response to love and tending.... But we are tenants and not possessors, lovers and not masters.
Srbenda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 06:38 PM   #7
FatChance
Road Captain

Oddometer: 10,090
Quote:
205mph!

- Calculated risk or forbidden fruit?
FatChance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:37 AM   #8
KL5A
Bugs are the new black

Oddometer: 4,479
Quote:

50 mph flat ground.......

65 down hill, flat out.......and on that bike it's fast enough!
HACKSAW: One of a family of cutting tools built on the Ouija board principle. It transforms human energy into a crooked, unpredictable motion, and the more you attempt to influence its course, the more dismal your future becomes.

Only dead fish go with the flow.
KL5A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2006, 09:03 AM   #9
PapaYolk
Ride Along

Oddometer: 1,407
uphill?

killing the poor thing
Attached Images

PapaYolk is offline   Reply With Quote