User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-08-2006, 07:55 AM   #1
almajeremy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Difference between Lowrance Baja 480C and 3600i?

As a GPS noob, can anyone tell me the difference between these two models? I see the 3600i has a internal antennae, but is that it? The Baja is advertised as "ruggedized", but is there really any difference between the two? Thanks.
almajeremy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 10:33 AM   #2
rwamf
Follow me

Oddometer: 1,351
The Baja 480c has about 7000 ft of cables, really it has allot, too much for most bikes, hard to hide on a motorcycle, Both the Ant & Data/Power cables are large and have to be 15-20', The 3600i only has a power input ( no data transfer, no ant cable) so it would be much easier to mount on a bike, The resolution and 5" screen is amazing on both units, Lowrance Topo software is much better than Garmin Topo, and it has updated POI info, but neither unit does auto routing, they will search and find food-gas-etc but will not "turn by turn" instruct you there. as far as the ruggedized 480c , I called Lowrance and they would not say how it is done or what is diff or changed, so it might be just some well placed silicone on the circut board to hold onto the larger do-dads
hope this helps
Lowrance makes a great GPS. Its tracking capability is far superior to the Garmin units ( up to 100 saved tracks @ 10,000 points each) as are the amount of detail at the wider zoom ranges, For off-road use they are the best, IMO

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 01:32 PM   #3
almajeremy OP
n00b

Oddometer: 4
RWAMF,
Thanks for the info. I'm not interested in autorouting for the riding I do, the resolution and screen size is what drew me to these units. I have an email into Lowrance to see if they will provide me with more information, but I'm assuming they will tell me the same thing they told you over the phone. I'm a little leery of buying the 480C because of the amount of cable required, but I hate to buy a 3600Ci and find out it doesn't hold up as well.
almajeremy is offline   Reply With Quote