Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2006, 03:05 PM   #1
M2 OP
where 2 ride today?

Oddometer: 229
Question Quest vs 60Cx????

Please dont tell me to do a search. I have tried. Ok I tried the search function without the vs and got some results. The search function don't recognize vs. To short or something. Anyway, here's the question.
Trying to decide between Quest (1 older unit) and 60Cx. This is what I have determined so far. Both have autorouting, mounts available, I don't care about voice prompts, about the same size. So what about waterprof? any difference? What about maps? Seems the Quest 1 comes with a CD that you can download areas (sections) of interest. I only anticipate using road maps. I don't care about topo's or oceans and lakes. I cannot determine if the 60Cx comes with the road CD. Do I have to buy that seperate with the 60cx. Any thing alse I should consider between the units.
Thanks in advance.
Mike

M2 screwed with this post 08-09-2006 at 03:49 PM
M2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 03:57 PM   #2
auric
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 16
an add-on to this question

bottom line for me......
quest 2 or GPSMAP60cx????
pleaseadvise since i'm also taking the plunge and don't want to drown.
thanks
auric
auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:08 PM   #3
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,361
Unless things have changed recently....

Unless you're getting some kind of bundle, the 60's don't come with anything other than a fairly worthless base map, so you have to buy a database of some sort - figure $125 or so for City Navigator to have a useful road database.

Conversely, the Quests come pre-loaded with a good version of CN. But I don't think they give you a CD version of the database, so if you want to plan routes and do things on your PC, you may be buying a database anyway.

Another consideration is that the new 60's have a much better receiver that snaps onto satellites in a matter of seconds, allows the units to often work in heavy cover (even indoors), and is flat all-around better. The Quest is certainly using the old receiver and I believe the Quest2 is also.

All in all, the Quest series appeals to folks who don't want to screw around with buying and downloading maps from the PC - they just want to pop it on their bike and have it work. The 60's are more versatile and the form factor is better for hand-holding, but you've got to screw around with map databases and the PC to have anything useful. The Quest is for the guy who just wants to ride, while the 60 is for someone who wants to tinker.

Having said all this, I wouldn't consider any Garmin GPS that doesn't have the latest receiver - it's that much better than the old.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #4
auric
asphalt adventurer

Oddometer: 16
quest 2 vs 60

mark,
thanks for the quick reply. i don'tlike "old tech", so if the quest's reeceiver is"old tech" it'snot for me. i like to tinker. the preloaded map was a questionable item for me. you've helped make the decision for me.
thanks
auric
auric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 06:59 PM   #5
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,733
My recently purchase Quest ll came with the base map intalled which is only major highways, and a CD with City Select v7 that I had to down load for more detail of selected areas. I have found that the detail in rural areas is more that I thought it would be as it showed many FS and mine roads.
I agree about the receiver, as I frequently lose satellite reception even in the wide open spaces with no cover.
itsatdm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 07:11 PM   #6
B.E. Coyote
(Super-Genius)

Oddometer: 5,370
The quest 2 comes preloaded with all of North America.

If you call Garmin after you register it, they will send you a copy of the dvd so that you can work things out on a pc then download them to your unit.

There is also some extra memory on board if you want to play with different maps. I believe you can load topos into it.
B.E. Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2006, 09:45 PM   #7
dbw
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
I have a 76cx and so far quite happy with it. One feature in addition to what's been mentioned here already for the 60 and 76 is the expandable memory using micro sd cards. Ones as large as 2 gigs are hitting the market.
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote